How effective is Optical Image Stabilzation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 28th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Major Player

How effective is Optical Image Stabilzation?

Reviewing footage shot on the DVC80, I am wondering how effective OIS is suppossed to be on the DVC80.

Hand-held is still fairly shakey, and even carefully adjusting the manual focus while the cam is supported on a tripod gives less-than-smooth results.

I don't expect it to be as stable as EIS, such as featured on my DV53, but how much of an improvement should I expect from the DVC80's lens-based OIS over shooting with no OIS at all?

edit: just to clarify -- I do see a difference between OIS and no OIS, but all of my past experience is with EIS, which seems to create far steadier shots while compromising quality. I guess I'm more interested in how the DVC80 OIS compares to other cameras?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

John

<< ...while the cam is supported on a tripod gives less-than-smooth results. >>

You had OIS on while the camera was on a tripod? If so, then OIS will fight your intended pans, which will then deliver less-than-smooth results. Always switch OIS *off* when working from a tripod.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:45 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,
Caveat: I have a DVX100, not the DVC80. But I imagine that the OIS of the two cameras is the same.

I've not done extensive handheld shooting with the DVX100 yet, but my casual observation is that it's OIS may be a step or two behind Canon's superb system.

However, direct comparison is difficult and extremely subjective. The DVX100's Leica lens is wider than that of the XL1s' standard 16x lens (the only one with OIS) or that of the GL2. Wide lenses tend to smooth-out shakey shots.

EIS, by its nature, tends to degrade overall image quality and is consequently eschewed on all professional cameras that I know of.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : John

You had OIS on while the camera was on a tripod? If so, then OIS will fight your intended pans, which will then deliver less-than-smooth results. Always switch OIS *off* when working from a tripod. -->>>

Actually, I tried it both ways -- I felt for what I was doing (manually adjusting focus from foreground to b/g object), that OIS should be enabled. Other than playing with depth of field, the image was (suppossed) to be stationary.

It's my understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) that the "no OIS on tripod" applies mosty to larger motions such as pans and zooms. If so, wouldn't the small jitters caused by my turning the focus ring benefit from OIS, even if on a tripod?

Ken -- I agree that EIS compromised the picture quality. Unfortunately, it also seems to offer the most stable picture. Have you ever used AE's Motion Tracking tool? If so, how does it compare to EIS (in terms of degradating image -- if at all)?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

i just did a long shoot and leaving the camera on OIS while on legs will degrade footage.. i was shooting a car driving down a highway and the OIS locked onto the motion of the trees in teh background, which in turn made the road look it was expereincing a slight earthquake.

i then did another shot with the car criosung at about 50km/h with me hanging out the window getting a shot of the road and wheels (on a gravel road leading to a dirt road so it WAS bumpy) and to footage, i must say is pretty good.

I am extremely pleased with the OIS on the DVX, but for rock solid shots, dont use OIS.. if u arent and ur still getting the jitters, it could be the motion you are reffering to...

when doing follow focus shots, i use my pinky finger ever so slightly.

Also get to knwo the cameras idiosuncrosys (spelling??) as its VERY finite in the way it does things...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- John: It's my understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) that the "no OIS on tripod" applies mosty to larger motions such as pans and zooms. -->>>

You are corrected. Don't use image stabilization while a camera is mounted on a tripod.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant