Filter Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 29th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #1
Tourist

Filter Questions

After researching for several month on this website (thanks to all you guys!!) I got my dvx100 two weeks ago. I'm pretty impressed by the design. Now it's time to search for some accesserioes.

1. I was so confused when I look at the B&H filter site. I know I need to get the 72mm UV and Polarizer filters. But there are so many types of them (Kaesemann Circular, Circular, Warm Circular, Top Polarizer...etc...) Could anyone give me some suggestions?

2. About the brands, Tiffen, B+W... I was driven by the "you must go with the best quility filter like B+W", and the "you don't need to go with the most expensive one, Tiffen is fine."

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot.
Tzujung Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Warden

Search the topics and you'll find many answers. Some prefer Cir. POL and others Linear Pol, take your pick. I prefer B + W or Heliopan, others do well with cokin and Tiffen. Tiffen has just emerged from bankruptcy and some sizes and types may be in short supply.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Hoya makes a great slim multi-coated UV. For the polarizer, go with a linear like a B&W, as Jeff suggests. With my video cams, I mostly use Cokin. They work just fine too. Tiffens are also good (as Jeff suggests).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #4
Tourist

Thank you Jeff, and if you don't mind me asking...what do Cir. POL and Linear Pol exactly mean?
And Frank, yes, I will go with Hoya's UV filter then. Thanks.
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

If you go Hoya, be sure to get the super-multicoated version! The uncoated version will lead to excessive reflections and flares.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks Berry, I checked the B&H Website. I finally decided these two filters. Still wondering should I go with the slim verison with the B+W Polarizer. Will the difference between the two become a nuisance in the future?

HoyaÊ
72mm Haze UV(0) Pro 1 (S-HMC) Super Multi-Coated Glass Filter $69.95
B+WÊ
72mm Circular Polarizer (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter $119.95

Thanks again!
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #7
Warden

Thin is a factor if you stack several filters, use with extreme wide angles or put a hood on the filter (some hoods thread).

Linear polarizer polarizes light in a linear fashion and C-Pols work in a circular manner. Both elements rotate so the degree of polarization can be adjusted.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

"slim" filters eliminate the front threads, so you can't stack filters on top of slim filters. For the polarizer that's probably okay, you could always make sure it's the front filter. If you go slim for the UV, you'll always have to remove it before attaching any other filters (which is again probably okay, a minor hassle but if you have another filter on there anyway, you won't need the UV). And slim cost more -- so it's all your choice...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #9
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald :
Linear polarizer polarizes light in a linear fashion and C-Pols work in a circular manner. Both elements rotate so the degree of polarization can be adjusted. -->>>

Thanks Jeff for clearing that for me.
And thanks Berry, I think I will go with the Hoya for the UV filter, since it's slim and it has a front thread. As for the polarizer, I'll give myself a day or two to decide the slim version or not.

I know this is only the beginning of the "journey of the accessories"!!
Tzujung Yu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant