New AG-DVX100A announced - please post all threads here - frame grabs available - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 17th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #31
Space Hipster

I've sent Jan C. an email about getting the new Panny rep for the DVX100 here to answer questions.
Old November 17th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #32
Major Player

good idea Stephen - get the rep.....

I can see that with a little effort on Panasonic's part, a number of these features can be applied to the present camera.
An upgrade kit or conversion rework on the present cam is something Panasonic would benefit from in the long run. They should be taking care of their customers on this one. It has been one of the major drawbacks of Sony and Panasonic shouldn't go down that route!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #33
Regular Crew

So when is the DVX100A update is going to be available?...

OK, I read the long thread on the new AG-DVX100A update.

When is it supposed to become available? End of this year? January 2004?

And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, is it going to cost way more than the original camera?

Thanks guys!
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #34
Warden

Jan is not the rep for this product, but she may be able to help.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #35
Major Player

Well i am more than a little peeved, my dvx isn't even 4 months old and they do this.

I hope it can be upgraded or else i may kick up a big stink to panasonic here.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:10 AM   #36
Warden

There is no precedence for an upgrade. In the 25 years I've been in the industry I can't think of a single camera that you got a kit to upgrade to a new model. It's like buying a 2003 model car and when the 2004 models come out wanting to upgrade. What does Ford do, send you a new motor, a transmission and couple new fenders so you can have a 2004 model? I doubt it will ever happen.

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you Zac. But I don't want people to get their hopes up. I just don't see it happening.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:15 AM   #37
Major Player

I guess the little difference is, ford lets you know there will be a 2004 model, i can't think of a single time that a camera that hasn't even been out for a year in a certain country, gets overhauled and released with the same name. ( and i don't mean cameras that have faults that need to be fixed)

I find this a little strange that they would be upgrading it SO soon.
It honestly leaves a lot of people feeling very used and not willing to ever buy panasonic again.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

For those who just recently bought the DVX100, you can easily sell it (after all, you kept the original box and all the packing material, right?) and move up to the DVX100A.

These camcorders hold their value quite well, so selling off in order to buy a newer model should be relatively painless. Also, you're not "out" anything by having the next-to-most-recent model. The old ones don't stop working when the new ones come out... I continued to produce income from my trusty '98 XL1 long after the XL1S was introduced.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:32 AM   #39
Major Player

Understand Jeff......

So why can't Panasonic be a little different? Look at the body. I'll bet the differences on inside spacing of parts, hook-up routing and basic system operations are not much if different at all. In other words, Panasonic should consider making an upgrade on the present cams - at least on the level of software elements that are obviously a big part of this new updated cam if upgrade part replacement is truly not possible. Hey, they'll make more money and keep those that want an upgrade satisfied as well. Think different!
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:35 AM   #40
DVX User

lol Panasonic rocks. It's good to see they keep pushing forward even when they are sitting on the best camera in the market.

And Chris is dead on.. just as your 2003 ford still gets you to work every morning, the DVX100 still takes some incredible footage.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #41
Warden

The market place dictates change. Panasonic has proven they can bring a new product to market quicker than their competition. I would think this accomplishment is something to be proud of, not vilified over. It also needs to be noted that this camera is tentatively at a higher price point and no announcement that the DVX100 is being discontinued. Is a manufacture to be faulted for introducing a more advanced model with an improved feature set?

Manufactures walk a double edged sword it seems. If they bring out a model too soon their users want to abandon them. How dare they release a new model on the heals of the one I just purchased. On the other hand if they are late to market with a replacement their users call them behind the times and threaten to leave them for the competition. How dare they be so slow to improve their products. It seems as if the manufacture wants to keep it's customers they need to call each one and find out when they want their new model released. Otherwise they are bound to offend someone.

Old November 18th, 2003, 03:10 AM   #42
DVX User

Good point. When I first purchased the DVX I actually waited for NAB to come and go to see if the XL-2 actually came to be... It didn't so I went with the DVX. I think alot of XL1 owners have jumped ship (actually I know a few) because it's taking Canon so long.

I have a better feeling now that I can get used to the DVX and have confidence that there will be new models when I am ready to upgrade.

Then again, who knows. The DVX100a could be to the DVX100 as the XL1s was to the XL1 and pansonic could wait till 2009 to release a DVX200.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:27 AM   #43
Major Player

I'm not bitching....

I love my DVX and I've had the cam since it first came out. However, I would love to see the guts of the two cams side by side. I'd be surprised if the new cam is much different in lay-out of components, size of components, and basic routing of the elements. I'd even guess the inside design is based on the same system in the present cam albeit with improved components that are based on the present DVX elements. It's not about a new model car. It's about improvements in components and Panasonic must be well aware of the possibilities that can be done with last year's model in an upgraded fashion. So, for fun and in all seriousness - where's the beef?
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:31 AM   #44
DVX User

yes.. its mostly a "software" update.. at least some of the new features are, some of them actually where there in the original demo of the DVX.. so a software upgrade isnt totally out of the question unless there is an entire new processor in the camera.

Cant figure out though if the volume knobs are larger, but That ridge around the scene dial kicks but.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:50 AM   #45
Major Player

Jarred.....

This is where a good tech guy would be helpful. A little sleuthing around Panasonic by some enterprising techie (nothing illegal) would be a nice touch or how about a component comparison by Panasonic?
How much of these improvements are software updates and how different the components are in the two cams would be interesting qualities to have comments on from guys familiar with these things.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant