dvx100a availability? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 9th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #16
Major Player

thank you! that would be great

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I was in that same quandry last summer... almost bought a friends XL and then when I tested it... it lacked the clarity of the frame grabs I saw posted here from the DVX... then it was down to the PD 150 VS the DVX and then the rumors of the 170 and then I finally decided on the DVX and it is GREAT... the image at 30P looks like 16mm... the Clarity... the Contrast... NO CONTEST

However!! Am I kicking my a**?! I DO wish I could have the DVX100-A for the autofocus in 30P which I miss.... and the improved zooom servo... and... and...

Since your projects are for fun and not for profit... I would wait for the newer model... you'll be glad you did and you'll probably try to keep it for a long time...

OR maybe you want to buy my relatively (3months old) new DVX and I'll get the upgrade!! Ha Ha

Just DO IT!
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes, thanks Chris -- looking forward to hearing....
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #19
Major Player

well it looks like i'm going to wait till early january and if the dvx-100a isn't out or on the way i'll decide then.

the auto-focus feature is something i think i would wish i had, if i were to get a dvx-100 now.

so much of what i want to do will be on the run.

matthew
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

The DVX100A should be available in quantity by the end of this year. However, let me address something else you said:

Quote:
so much of what i want to do will be on the run.
Using autofocus in 24P "on the run" is a recipe for soft-focus disaster.

The "autofocus" system, when engaged in 24P, is VERY SLOW. It has to be -- it's getting information from the CCD's at a rate of only 40% as fast as in 60i.

You CANNOT expect to get quick-response autofocus in the progressive-scan modes -- it's just too slow to keep up. That's why Panasonic doesn't even call it "autofocus", they call it "focus assist". The only way it should be used, when in 24P or 30P modes, is to set the camera in manual focus, zoom in, press and hold the "hold for auto" button, and let the focus assist mechanism "assist" you in finding what the proper focus point should be.

You are of course free to do whatever you'd like, but I guarantee you that if you're trying to do run 'n' gun news-style gathering in 24P, you're going to have a lot of out-of-focus shots. That's not what the "focus assist" is designed for, and I'm certain that's why Panasonic disabled it in the first place -- they'd rather have customers griping about a disabled feature instead of being furious because all their footage is out of focus...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #21
Regular Crew

DVX100a

I had a lengthy conversation with the Panasonic rep in Houston last week and he said we may see the 100a as soon as the end of this year but they should start showing up (en mas) in January.
I was told that I could pre order one at my local dealer and left a deposit, the rep said he'd try to get me one ASAP.

Mark

my 2 cents
Old December 15th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #22
Major Player

did you happen to get an acutal price from your pre-order. I know it is going to be $200 more then the 100, but does that mean that the street price is $34-3500, or is it going for the list price of $3900?
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:02 AM   #23
Major Player

i would love to get the name/contact info of someone at b&h who would acknowledge that they even knew a dvx-100a existed.

matthew
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #24
Regular Crew

DVX100a Pricing

What the Panasonic rep told me was that it's expected to be $200 to $400 more than the DVX100 street price, that would make it in the $3400 to $3600 range (a bargain either way). Although the dealers don't have ordering info yet i.e. stock numbers etc. it should be any day now. I didn't order mine from B&H. I decided to support a local dealer who has been giving me great service, and their pricing is VERY competitive .

Mark

my2cents :)
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Recipe for soft-focus disaster?

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : let me address something else you said:

Using auto focus in 24P "on the run" is a recipe for soft-focus disaster.-->>>

This was also the reason for me waiting for the 100a, I have the opportunity to do a show in 04 that is totally "Crock Hunter" style and thought the auto focus would be a plus even if not that fast. I have been watching show after show on the prime time networks, where there are 3 to 5 seconds of totally out of focus shots in an unbelievable number of clips. I guess they figure it either doesn't matter if the dialog is engaging enough or it adds a "street shooter" kind of look.

The way I see it is that the (TV) viewing public is being so bombarded with this type of imagery that they will become accustomed to it and therefore expect it in those types of shows. With people getting used to it, it will allow small crews (like a crew of one - me) to concentrate on creating interesting content, albeit not perfect.

I do however get very undone when MY stuff isn't sharp, and have tossed out more than a few hours of out of focus clips. I have noticed that if it starts soft and locks up fairly fast it seems to work or can be useable, but if it's just out of focus it's still crap in my book.

Every little step is a step in the right direction

my2cents

Mark
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #26
Major Player

i have called b&h and they keep trying to tell me to get a pd-170

?

they don't even have a notification list to let you know when they will be taking orders for the dvx-100a

how are they in person? because in email and via phone they just don't seem too motivated to take my money either for the camera or for the sennheiser wireless setup i want.

i just had a few questions and i thought it would be good to ask them ahead of time before i get in the showroom full of toys to distract me.

do they just work better in person?

matthew
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #27
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Matthew,
In my experience B&H is the best of the best. They are also the busiest of the busy.

Be patient. The 100A is an announced product but I am sure that Panasonic Broadcast has not yet committed to shipment schedules and allocations on the 100A. I am equally certain that B&H has a very well-defined process that dictates when they can begin taking back-orders and notification orders for new products.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #28
Regular Crew

PD170 vs VDVX100a (not to start a sour thread...but)

I do believe the PD has faster focus (due to the nature of 60i) and probably has better low light capability, but that by no means makes it a better camera. The DVX100a is clearly a more advanced system. I know two pro video houses in Houston that after getting one DVX eBayed all the sony PD150s and replaced them all with the Panasonics. To be fair I have not seen a side by side comparison but I have to believe that if seasoned pros are switching, they must know something. (One guy told me he has mothballed his BetaCam since he got the DVX100). Of course if I had the bux I'd have them both (DVX & PD), I'm sure it would bring more work, and are both awesome rigs. Okay so my long winded point is don't get something any unknown telephone salesperson recomends, you never know what kind of incentive they are working for (sorry B&H). Get what you know is the right camera for you. I have a local dealer I trust and I have interviewed 20+ people, all of whom have used both, that's why I decided to get DVX100a. If you get something pro's are switching to, I can't see how you can go wrong.
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #29
Warden

Quote:
you never know what kind of incentive they are working for (sorry B&H)
This is wrong, over the years B & H Photo has prided itself with the fact that their sale people are not paid incentives, or spiffs, as they are know in the industry.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #30
Regular Crew

UPDATE

Just received this email.. good news!

"You'd mentiond the forthcoming Panasonic AG-DVX100A camera. I just got email of it's official existance, price, and that it's now a shipping product."

Glenn Baker
Videotex Systems, Inc.

So go buy one already!

Mark

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant