difference between DVC80 and DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 21st, 2004, 02:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

difference between DVC80 and DVX100

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between DVC80 and DVX100? I only know the lacking of progressive. But saw someone here said it also lacking of gamma curve adjustment, but did see the "CineGamma" option in some sites -- meaning, it has a 'CineGamma' option but without the manually adjustable feature? If so, how many Gamma curve choices it got? I wish to find it out myself but can never see a detail user manual for DVC80 anywhere! I did download the brochere but it doesn't mention anything about picture adjustment at all!
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Search here for several thread about it.
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hi Stephen. Ya I did search and read some of it (inclusive of the post from that VP of Panasonic) but couldn't find what I need. The first thing I wish to know is: Where to download user manual for DVC80? The reason for it is that I want to know exactly what picture adjustment it features (or to say, what's the difference in picture adjustment between DVC80 and VX2100).
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Manuals are available on the www.Panasonic.com site.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ron, I can find operating manual for DVX100 in panasonic website but not on DVC80. If you found it, please give me the link. Thanks!
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #6
Major Player

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat/products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvc80.html

Panasonic's page on the DVC80. Has link to .pdf of the brochure.

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat..._ag-dvc80.html
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks John, but I'm looking for operational manual instead of the brochure because the brochure didn't mention manual picture adjustable functions in details. I want to make sure if it can adjust the matrix and gamma like DVX100 does.
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry -- thought the brochure discussed "Scene Files" in depth. Here's a link to the owner's manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/AGDVC80.PDF

(if you go to panasonic.com, click on "support," then click on "operating manuals" you can search their whole database for manuals)

What you want to know about are the "Scene File" settings. As an owner of a DVC80 I can tell you that it does not have a CineGamma feature. It's not in my hands at the moment, so that's about all I can tell you right now...
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks John! This is what I need :)

As an owner of DVC80, how do you rate this camera? I heard it's having exactly the same lens, CCD and most of the circuits of DVX100, so I'll assume it can produce similar picture quality (except for cineGamma and progressive)?
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm not too familiar w/ the DVX100, although I tested one briefly. It is my understanding that the hardware of the DVX and the DVC are the same (lens, etc) and that the DVC80 simply lacks the cinematographer elements such as 24p, 30p, CineGamma, etc.

Based on that, I assume that the DVC80 produces the same quality as the DVX100 in 60i mode.

If you go to my site at www.karatemedia.com/video you can find four ads I have shot using the DVC80 -- either of the two for Musician's Warehouse and the two for Gardens at Eden.

I do relatively inexpensive run-n-gun shoots with only existing/ambient lighting. While the existing lighting on these shoots was pretty good, I have used this cam in faily low lighting with no additional gain and got a pretty good picture. I am a relatively inexperienced cameraman and these ads are encoded for the web, so keep that in mind.

The native XLR inputs are great, too.

Will the DVC80 suit your needs as well as the DVX100? That depends on what you plan to create...
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks John, and man I love Fender guitars :)
Old January 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

To compare features exactly, compare page 37 of DVC80 manual (Setting menus) with page 38 of DVX100A manual (Setting menus.)

Here's a quick summary of extra settings that the DVX100 has that the DVC80 doesn't.

MENU SETTING unique to DVX100a

Scene File ---> Color temp, Gamma, V detail freq, Progressive

SW mode ----> Iris Dial

Display setup--> Zebra Detect 2, Marker, Zoom Focus, EVF mode

Other function -->DV Control DV CMD Sel (controls a second DV device),

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant