Wedding and events with AG-DVC80 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 29th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding and events with AG-DVC80

I am seriously considering purchasung the DVC80 for wedding
and event shoots. I would realy appreciate it if anyone could
set me straight before I lay out the cash.

From all that I've read, it seems to be a good choice. However,
if you feel that my money could be better spent please tell me.

Thank you
Bob Fitzgibbon
Bob Fitzgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Mr. Fitzgibbons,

The DVC 80 is an excellent camera. i wanted to say that I really really like it.. Mine is up for sale I have shot only one project with it.

In my opinion this camera rivals the sony pd150
3.5 screen
good audio ( pd150 problematic )
price $ is a real plus.. 500$ to 1000$ less

I would like to give you the opportunity to buy mine if interested.. I was planning to put it on Ebay tom. but will give you first shot. i have aq good ebay record that you may check and i have been a member here for awhile. I have pics and guarantee its in mint condition.. Theses retail for $2,995 and can be bought less expensively if your careful. Please let me know here and reply with a contact if interested.

The reason why I am selling it is to upgrade to a more expensive camera.. Hope to hear back.. Scott
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Scott,

Thank you for the reply. I will say that B&H Photo in NYC has the DVC80 priced at $2199.00 (new) They are perhaps the most reputable of all of the mass-marketers in NYC. I have dealt with them for all of my still digital equipment and have yet to be dissapointed.

What are you hoping to get for your camera?

Thanks again
Bob Fitzgibbon
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

xxx
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello again,

Yes.....I was quite surprised myself. The unit specs seem superior to others such as Sony VX2100, Canon GL2....and yet when I received B&H's email woith the special pricing they came in as follows:

VX2100 $2399.00
GL2
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hello again,

Yes.....I was quite surprised myself. The unit specs seem superior to others such as Sony VX2100, Canon GL2....and yet when I received B&H's email woith the special pricing they came in as follows:

VX2100 $2399.00
GL2 $2229.00
DVC80 $2199.95

At your price, I am very interested. However, I still haven't received any feedback as to how appropriate this camera would be for "Wedding & Event" work. I personally cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be great. But, my dad used to say...
"No matter how dumb the dealer looks...cut the cards!"

I'll be making a decision very soon.

Bob Fitzgibbon
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

drop me your email addy and we'll chat. We can chat on phone from there.. I have done only one corporate project. I can discuss any concerns you may have
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Scott,

Your profile states that you are shooting weddings and events with a DVC80. I am curious as to why you want to upgrade your camera...especially in light of your glowing appraisal of the DVC80.

Please understand that whatever I purchase, I certainly do not want to be trying to sell anytime soon.

bobefitz@comcast.net

Bob Fitzgibbon
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

this camera is great for weddings and events.. One of the finest . However I want to do short films i want 24 p I want Indie.. OSmeday... onlyu to dream.. but im focusing on the 24P deal and spending the extra $1500.. im at work and heading out now.. i will be accesible tom. AM.. thanks.. ill be around another 5 min. if you need me
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #10
Major Player

Bob

If you go to my site at www.karatemedia.com/video you can find four ads I have shot using the DVC80 -- either of the two for Musician's Warehouse and the two for Gardens at Eden.

I do relatively inexpensive run-n-gun shoots with only existing/ambient lighting. While the existing lighting on these shoots was pretty good, I have used this cam in fairly low lighting with no additional gain and got a pretty good picture. I am a relatively inexperienced cameraman, so your results may be much better.

The built-in XLRs are great and, as you've seen, the price beats the VX2000 et al.

I live in a college town and I swear I am starting to see the local broadcast journalism majors using the DVC80 -- which would be a change from the typical Sonys they get handed. I've been meaning to call the J-School to verify...

I like the DVC80 and would definitely recommend that you try one out if you can get your hands on a tester.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Shooting a wedding in March. Can you wait?

Bob,

In December I purchased a DVC80 for the same purpose as yours. I'll be happy to be your guinea pig if you don't mind waiting, as my wedding season doesn't begin until March 14. It's an indoor church wedding for an African-American couple; the darker skin tones under church lighting will be a good test for the camera.

If you want to see that footage in March or later, e-mail me at tjvideo@highstream.net, and I'll put some on a server for you to download.

While getting to know my DVC80, I've shot a couple hours of home video with it in existing-/low-light situations, and I'm very pleased with the results. I A/B'ed this camera's footage to my 1-CCD PV-DV100 (the exact same scene), and the difference is like night and day. The PV-DV100 footage looks like it came from a child's toy by comparison. I don't own a light meter, so I can't tell you how dark the room was, but I can't imagine a wedding reception being any darker, that's for sure.

I purchased my DVC80 fron B&H for $2299. I should have waited a few weeks and saved another $100. (But they did include a $100 gift card, which paid for my Bescor on-camera light kit.)

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be very happy with a DVC80. It really is the best deal in its class. Videomaker magazine ranked it the best camcorder in the $3,000 category in the Feb. 2004 issue. I'm a long-time reader and value the opinions of their editors.

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #12
New Boot

I bought 2 DVC80s from buydig.com for $2025.00 ea., non grey market, and zero problems to date. I like B&H and would rather have bought from them, but the $350 savings was too hard to pass up.
Bob Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just got a DVC80. I'm an inexperienced cameraman, learning how to use it for documentary and interview work. What i've noticed so far:

1. The lens is wonderful. Quality of image very sharp.
2. Optical Image Stabilization has to be seen to be believed. I want to do hand-held and i'm not that steady, but images are rock solid even when my arm trembles.
3. Ergonomics are great. (My previous camera was a trv900.) DVC80 has good balance, light weight. All controls that i need are out on the body of the camera. Relatively BIG switches so I can look at and quickly see audio, white balance settings, etc.
4. Low light is pretty good. Looks like PD150 equivalent. Even though it's rated 3 lux, i think it's better. (TRV900 was also rated 3 lux, but DVC80 has better low light response.)
5. It has something called 'skin detail' setting which you can turn on to smooth out the grain in people's skin during close-ups. Don't know about African Americans, non-caucasian skin... any one know? But on caucasian skin it gives a very nice effect. Very subtle smoothing that you wouldn't know was there unless you knew the control had been set.
6. Lens is wide angle, and very good for closeups.
7. External XLR is great. Sound quality is great.
8. Image seems to have very gentle, accurate colors. Accurate and not saturated. Some say too red but I like it. I think this can be adjusted in the settings, but i haven't gotten that far yet.
9. Easy to quickly set manual white balance for each shot. Just push a button on the front of camera. Auto white balance is very accurate, too but i like manual.

cheers,
tony
Old January 30th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I would like to thank all who have responded to my query about the Panasonic DVC80. You are all very generous to take the time to try to rescue a newcomer from a possible costly error.

I don't know how I got so lucky as to find this forum. I'de like to think that it's the luck of the Irish...Maybe not!!

Very best regards
Bob Fitzgibbon
Bob Fitzgibbon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant