DVX100A in-camera squeeze thoughts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100A in-camera squeeze thoughts

Hello all,

I just got my DVX100A yesterday, and upon looking at the extremely high quality I was seeing in squeeze mode 24PA, I have been doing some thinking.

It concerns whether or not squeeze mode is better (higher quality) for 16:9 then either letterbox or 4:3 cropped in post.

Rather then go over it all here again, I already posted on another board my thought and have already gotten an number of replies -- So I post a link here http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX/Y...num=1076431425 for anyone who is interested.

Thanks.

-Rodger
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Rodger,

I tried that link to no avail. Any other way to access that thread?
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: DVX100A in-camera squeeze thoughts

<<<-- Originally posted by Rodger Marjama : Hello all,
It concerns whether or not squeeze mode is better (higher quality) for 16:9 then either letterbox or 4:3 cropped in post.
-Rodger -->>>

Hey Roger,

Wecolme to the DVX100A family. I received my own last Friday and am soaking in quite a bit of info, too. I plan to shoot mostly in 24p mode making short/feature films and documentaries. http://www.alanbarker.com is pro 60i for documentaries and has some interesting reasons, but I want to experiment a bit with this cam to see what I can get out of it.

I use Final Cut Express and soon Final Cut Pro. I'm not sure what editor you're using, but wouldn't it be interesting to go for the anamorphic look since you have the ability? :]

I'm using the squeeze mode on the cam and am quite impressed with the early results. I run the cam through my sony projector and it's a great thrill to watch footage that I shot in widescreen format, with a cinema-like feel to it.

If you're targeting a 4:3 audience, why not just make it so in post? That way you'd have an anamorphic master.

Use the search function at the top right of this site... there are some great posts that will help out. Here's a great resource for the DVX100:

http://www.mycen.com.my/dv/dvx100.html

Have fun.
Chris L. Gray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant