Using a Panasonic PV-DV53 as a deck for my DVX100?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #1
Wrangler

Using a Panasonic PV-DV53 as a deck for my DVX100?!

I was thinking about picking up a Panasonic PV-DV53 miniDV camcorder to use as a deck to log and capture my DVX100 footage to save wear and tear. The cam only goes for $359.95 w/ free shipping on B&H so I figured it'd be a viable alternative to buying a pricey DV deck!

Does anyone know if there will be any problems logging and playing back footage filmed in another camera?

Also...don't the accessories for the PV-DV53 work with the DVX100- meaning the battery and charger. I figured it'd be a good way to pick up a second charger and battery as well.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I guess no one is doing it. Let us know how it works for you and if indeed the accessories interchange with the DVX100.
WW
William Wallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Wrangler

Will do.

Yeah I'm suprised no one replied. I would have sworn I wasn't the only one doing this. DV decks are just too pricey for what they do. I figure I can save $1,700 or so and settle with a less sophisticated alternative...yet just as effective. Honesty I couldn't believe the price I didn't know DV went that cheap I thought sub $500 range was for Hi-8 and VHS-C.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I know what you mean... I got a Samsung SCD-80 MiniDV camcorder for only $339 at B&H, which I'm going to use as a deck for my DVX100. I'll let you know how that works out...
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #5
High School Student

Hey hey, you people with JOBS and lots of MONEY! Heh, I just have a Panasonic DV52 (just as my camera =/, because i'm a broke 14 year old). Not only would it make a good deck (I rewind and replay the crap out of this one, and i've wrote over tapes atleast 8 times, with no dropouts) but if you need a smaller camera, a 2nd "action" camera, or a traveling camera, it would make a good one of them also...I got a comment today about a video I showed at school, the kid was like "that looks just like a real movie"...I was like.."uhh, yeeeeaaahhh"....probably from the oversaturated colors and the framerate drop, and all the other fancy "effects" I did in vegas. :D You may actually be surprised at the video quality, especially for the price you can get it for. The only thing that is bad about the video, like with most lower end (lower resolution, mainly) cameras, is the way they handle things like telephone wires and any other type of object like that...it just looks really ugly. Other then that it's pretty good, the audio is surprisingly good as well, none of that annoying hiss crap found on other cheap DV cameras.

Jaime, I probably would of went for a Panasonic personally, especially just for use as a deck...hopefully it works good for you though...

Oh yeah, Glen, about the battery, the included one is crap. It lasts on the camera no more then 45 minutes with the LCD, probably less on the DVX100...I picked up a Power2000 D-16 (or something like that) battery at B&H for only $45, when I bought my camera. It works well, I get about 4 hours out of it.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #6
Wrangler

Alex, do you know if the charger is universal. I could use an extra one.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #7
High School Student

What do you mean? Are you asking can you use it to charge other batteries of the same type also? If so, then yeah, I use it to charge the Power2000 battery I got from B&H.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Been using the PV-DV53 Panasonic digital camcorder as my deck for the DVX since about Thanksgiving. It has been working GREAT.

The only thing I would like to say is that I wish the DV53 had S-Video Out so I can work with crisp color when doing color correction in my video editor.

Yes, the Dv53's charge is compatible with the DVX batteries. YOu can even plug it into the DVX and use it as a power source.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:22 PM   #9
Tourist

Cheapo Deck

All:

I've been using a throw-away mini-dv deck for quite a while now...

I personally use the Canon ZR60 cameras (around $300 on ebay)... though the batteries are not DVX friendly - my two little hummers do a great job (but I'd imagine any mini-dv would do).

And, the ZR60 has s-video in/out (nice).

(I also these throw-aways to record off my old 700 line pro/eng camera via svideo - sweet images, convenient edit).

- Rob
Rob Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

That's exactly what I do. I use a DV53 as a deck.
At a street price of ~$300, they are disposable.
Dennis Sladek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #11
Major Player

I use a DV852 that I used to shoot with before I got my 100a. At the time about 1.5 yrs ago, the 852 was $1000 but now alas it is discontinued and runs for about $500 on BH. It's treated me well as a reliable deck so far.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I picked up a DV53 and not a single one of my computers (PC Win 98SE/XP and 2.5 G5) will detect it. Not what I expected from a brand new camera. Panasonic pretty much said they don't make it anymore so they can't help me.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #13
Major Player

I've been using a sony TRV65 as my deck. I picked it up for home use, and shoot regularly with Canon GL2's and 1's and play back with no problems with the Sony.

What about 24p stuff shot on the DVX-100? Wouldn't you have to play back with the camcorder as well for the built-in pull-down? What about other frame rates?

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #14
Major Player

Hey everyone, Canon has a new minidv camcorder that is selling in the low 300 range. I wonder if that's any better than Panny's cheapest camcorder.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #15
Major Player

I use my Sony TRV30 as a deck and it works great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant