Need a Camera Now - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:37 PM   #16
New Boot

John why would I be concerned about going up to 60i at some later date?

David Feburary is al most over so it will be in March, why is the month so critical? And I thought I mentioned renting for a week to do a demo for the proposal, The actual program thaat I want to document is 21 weeks long. I will be shooting off and all for the entirety of the program.

If is were a shorter period of time I would have just tapped someone else to shoot it.
Edward Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:38 PM   #17
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : dont forget this, if you shoot in 60i you can convert to anything else, But if you shoot in 24p you cant convert up to anything else. -->>>

Incorrect. If you shoot in 24P, you can easily convert to PAL, to film, to 60i, to DVD, to high-def... you can convert to anything.

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:38 PM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : dont forget this, if you shoot in 60i you can convert to anything else, But if you shoot in 24p you cant convert up to anything else. -->>>

Incorrect. If you shoot in 24P, you can easily convert to PAL, to film, to 60i, to DVD, to high-def... you can convert to anything.

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 06:50 PM   #19
Major Player

NAB is in April. There are widely rumored announcements from Canon. Panasonic appears to have discontinued the DVC200, so I expect a replacement. Rumors also surround Sony.

I don't KNOW what will be announced. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see 24p in some models, 12-bit ADC universally (14-bit in Sony's), some 16x9, and possibly some HDV 3-CCD cameras.

So where the DVX100A is the only came in town NOW, in a few months there may be some alternatives. For a long-term real gig, a 1/2"CCD 24p DVX200 could be a good camera to use.

Keep in mind, the lens in a 1/2" CCD camera costs more than the best 1/3" CCD camera complete!
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:50 PM   #20
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : <<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : dont forget this, if you shoot in 60i you can convert to anything else, But if you shoot in 24p you cant convert up to anything else. -->>>

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is. -->>>

my point being, that converting 24p to 30p you are adding frames to the mix, You can do it, but I dont recommend it
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #21
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain :

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is. -->>>

my point being, that converting 24p to 30p you are adding frames to the mix, You can do it, but I dont recommend it -->>>

Every movie is converted from 24p to 30p/60i for DVD. It actually adds a half frame after every 2 frames.
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #22
New Boot

David, April hey. That works out fine, I can rent a 100a shoot the demo, start fund raising and will be ready to shoot in June. Very cool.

As for the 24p thing, I was really scared for a minute when I saw the post about conversion problems which was the opposite of very thing I understood to be. But it did raise another question why would need to convert 24p to 30i?
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #23
Major Player

There is no 30i. But there is a 30p.
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #24
Barry Wan Kenobi

For some reason Avid users seem to cling to the "30i" terminology, wheras the camera manufacturers have standardized on calling it "60i".

So, when someone says "30i" they are most likely referring to "60i".
Old February 25th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #25
New Boot

sorry for not minding my p's and i's.

Old February 25th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #26
Major Player

Hee!

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant