1st Shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 4th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1st Shoot

I just received my dvx100. Looks very nice. I must go into the "quick start" mode as I have a project which I need to begin right away. I thought I would run my plan past the formum to see if it contains anything impossible, improbable of just plain stupid.

This will become in the end a DVD. I am to shoot a golf course with an interview of the architect. He will be on screen at the beginning and end--his VO and music over images of the course between. Most of my shooting will be landscapes.

I will use the dvx100. For the interview I plan of using a me66 on a boom. I am thinking of leaving the panny MC100 on the camera for all the shooting to gather ambient sound.

I plan to shoot 30p and edit in FCE.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Grant

PS- Is it OK to leave a UV filter on for everything?
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You might want to use a polarization filter if its real bright out. It will give fuller color and depth to your shots.

My preference is 24PA for 24p DVD's but 30P would look fine. I don't suppose your going to be anywhere near filling the DVD up anyway, so the extra space 24p would give isn't a factor, only the enhanced filmic look offered in 24PA.

Sound like you will have the opportunity of making some beautiful shots.

-Rodger
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #3
Trustee

I may be wrong on this, but it seems to me that you won't need that extra mic to grab ambient sound. The boom mic you're using, along with providing good dialog, will also pick up plenty of ambient sound that should place your subject well in the outdoor atmosphere - especially if there's the occasional bird sounds which the mic will definitely pick up.

I don't own that particular boom mic, but that's just my experience with boom mics in the outdoors.

Alternatively, you could try what I recently did on my first DVX100A shoot (previously had a GL2), and that was run wireless lav for dialog on one channel, and back it up with the boom on the other channel. The wireless isolates the talking really well, and the boom seems to grab that and the ambience very well.

I am not an expert on audio though - so wait for others to chime in...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Rodger, I am pretty much stuck with editing in Final Cut Express for this project and as I understand it, 24p doesn't work there.

The polarizer is a nice idea. I did a couple of books on fly fishing and the polarizer never came off the camera for a two year period. Is there anything special I need to know re using a polarizer on video as opposed to film?

Thanks for the suggestions, Grant
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Let me second grants question - on BH there's just a host of 72mm polarizers. There's a HOYA as low as $34 which costs even less than the "general brand" one. What's a good general use one and what features should we be looking for (linear or circular)?
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Forget all that. The interview and VO you can control. But for the landscape visuals, time your shoot in the early morning and early evening to get some spectacular footage!

Take advantage of the sunrise and sunset and the nice lighting it provides. You'll kill yourself shooting in the HIGH NOON.

Ever notice on the GOLF Majors, when they show shots of the course (In intro's, not actual playing) they are all in early dawn or early evening.

John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by John Hudson : Forget all that. The interview and VO you can control. But for the landscape visuals, time your shoot in the early morning and early evening to get some spectacular footage!

Take advantage of the sunrise and sunset and the nice lighting it provides. You'll kill yourself shooting in the HIGH NOON.

Ever notice on the GOLF Majors, when they show shots of the course (In intro's, not actual playing) they are all in early dawn or early evening. -->>>

No debating the golden hour, but if you have to shoot in sunlight, not under trees and such, polarizing will help boost apparent quality.

Video is suppose to be shot with circular polarizers, but if you don't mind adjusting for each setup, linear will do a more complete (read: nicer looking) job.

If you want to use 24PA, for $95 bucks you can get DVFilm Maker and pull the 24 progressive frames out of 24PA.

Whether or not FCE can edit 24 fps editing, I'm sure I don't know.

Also, on the 2 mic idea. If you were in FCP or Vegas you could surround sound the ambient and center speaker the dialog, this would give some depth to sound quick and easy. For FCE ???

-Rodger

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant