DVX100 Set-up. Help. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 4th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100 Set-up. Help.

I am attempting to set up my DVX 100 for the first time. The crazy of too many choices.

I need to set the camera for an outdoor shoot. I want to use 30p for reasons of editing. The final product will be a DVD to be viewed primarily on TVs but also on computer monitors. I would like it to look as "cine-like" as possible.

--Should I set the gamma at Cine-Like? If so, should I reset the iris lower by a couple of points?

--Ditto Matrix setting. Cine-like?

--V Detail Freg. Have no idea what this is, but it sounds important. Do I set thick or thin for DVD played back on TV?

--For an me66 mic, do I want the gain set at 50 db or 60 db? Same question for the Panny MC100.

Any help will be much appreciated. Grant
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Im curious of what NLE you are using? You will get a more filmic image using 24p than 30i. Thats fine though.

Yes to all but...

Keep detail THIN.

Probally can use default settings and adjust in post.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey John, I'll have to dissagree with you on one point. Never thought I would say that!
If your showing your footage primarily on TVs I would set your detail level to mid or thick. Mid preferably since it will be viewd on computer monitors. When using thin mode I have noticed some distracting thin line artifacts that show up on an interlaced television screen. It is nice to know that that kind of fine detail is available if need.
And yes John, I know that you can just add a slight blur in post, but if it's a lot of footage, and you know that it will never go out to film, I'd just save some time and shoot mid or thick.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 04:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i wouldn't recommend the cine-matrix. it delivers a too saturated look to my taste. i usually keep "normal" in matrix, and take chroma level some (2-3) steps below zero. that will let you more freedom in color correction later on.
Shai Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for these replies. Very helpfulful. John, I should have mentioned that I am using FCE to edit (not much choice here at the moment). Otherwise I would probably give 24p at shot.

The "thick-or-thin-for-DVD" issue seems a bit like circular vs linear polarizers--proponents on both sides. I can test shoot for gamma etc but I am worried about making a mistake here (thick/thin) that I would have to deal with in post. Unfortunately I must start shooting the "real deal" very soon, like tomorrow, so I have to set something.

Thanks again, Grant
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Stefan Scherperel : Hey John, I'll have to dissagree with you on one point. Never thought I would say that!
If your showing your footage primarily on TVs I would set your detail level to mid or thick. Mid preferably since it will be viewd on computer monitors. When using thin mode I have noticed some distracting thin line artifacts that show up on an interlaced television screen. It is nice to know that that kind of fine detail is available if need.
And yes John, I know that you can just add a slight blur in post, but if it's a lot of footage, and you know that it will never go out to film, I'd just save some time and shoot mid or thick. -->>>

LOL

I have to admit Im not the authority on Thick versus Thin but do prefer to shoot THIN myself. So I wont even disagree back!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #7
Major Player

THat's me, Mr. thick and thin.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant