DVX-100A - Price Drop? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Closed Thread

Old July 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Minutes from ordering his own DVX100A?

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : $3359 from Promax.com. Also ask Rush at EVS if he can match that price, I bet he can. Also, $3298 from Willoughby's, but they charge a lot for shipping so it nets out the same or higher. Those three are all authorized resellers, which means you'll actually get the manufacturer's warranty AND a free copy of the $299 Magic Bullet for Editors software.

Anyone selling it for less is not an authorized reseller. -->>>

Thank you, so very much! :]
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #32
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Morrell : I read http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article06.php about the XL2. What I do not understand is that the image is gathered on the CCD at 960x480 but is it then being scalled down to 720x480 and a 1.2 pixel aspect?
Exactly. It must be scaled to 720x480, or it would not be compliant with the DV spec. This is not necessarily a big deal, because pro 2/3" 16:9 cameras like the SDX900 and DSR570 do the same type of thing. However, be aware that it is most definitely not a 1:1 relationship, you will not have a 960x480 image on tape, you'll have 720x480.

Quote:
From this article I also found it interesting that the Sony 950 has an effective 690,000 pixel count and 14 bit DSP. That sure sounds pretty good on paper even with a cmaller ccd.
Which is why you can never just read the spec's. The TRV950 does a good high-res 16:9, but the tiny chip with the tiny pixels has problems: vertical smear, worse latitude, etc. Read the writeup on www.bealecorner.com about how the new TRV950 owners felt when compared against the TRV900 it replaced.

You can't go on printed specs, you have to test it and try it and see how it performs in the real world. From the printed spec's, the Canon looks very interesting, but I worry that it may have similar issues to other megapixel-CCD cameras like the TRV950 and even the JVC HD1. So from the specs, it's intriguing, but from Mitch Gross's review/opinion it sounds like it may have some issues. Got to get one in hand and do some detailed testing before any actual factual conclusions can be drawn.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Re: Minutes from ordering his own DVX100A?

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris L. Gray : <<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : $3359 from Promax.com. Also ask Rush at EVS if he can match that price, I bet he can. Also, $3298 from Willoughby's, but they charge a lot for shipping so it nets out the same or higher. Those three are all authorized resellers, which means you'll actually get the manufacturer's warranty AND a free copy of the $299 Magic Bullet for Editors software.

Anyone selling it for less is not an authorized reseller. -->>>

I'm freaking out.. my order's being processed from EVS. Rush let me have it for $3,379, which is close enough. Fedex overnight standard was another $60, which is fine.

I just might be working on a film short this weekend! :]]]]]]]]]]
*squeals like ned flanders* :p
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #34
Wrangler

>> From this article I also found it interesting that the Sony 950 has an effective 690,000 pixel count and 14 bit DSP. That sure sounds pretty good on paper even with a cmaller ccd. <<

The TRV-950 has somewhat enhanced 16:9, but Sony (apparently) intentionally crippled the camera with firmware so it doesn't use the full width of the CCD's. It's pro-cousin, the PDX-10 does use the full CCD width such that the field of view expands in 16:9 mode. For some examples see: http://greenmist.com/dv/16x9

The smaller chips on these cameras present some of their own problems, but I have been happy with my PDX-10, and at current prices ($1,850 at B&H) it gives a lot of bang for the buck. They were listing the TRV-950 for $1700 last time I checked.

The TRV-950 has been discontinued however, and is being replaced by the HC-1000. There are several questionable "improvements" on this camera, like a smaller, lower res LCD screen, lower res viewfinder, smaller battery and moving all the manual controls to the touch screen. However it does appear to have the same high quality 16:9 of the PDX-10. Supposedly the HC-1000 will be less expensive than the TRV-950 but I haven't seen actual US pricing yet.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM   #35
New Boot

tristate camera

$3,179.99 for the DVX at Tristate .

http://www.tristatecamera.com/LookAtAll-v5km4np2-PANAGDVX100A-3-0019-0-store.php3.html

i've bought three cameras from them, never had problems.

according to their website,
$2,199.99 for the DVC80!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM   #36
Barry Wan Kenobi

Tristate is not an authorized dealer. Buy it from them and Panasonic may not honor the warranty, and you won't get the Magic Bullet for Editors software either.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Barry. We have two DV Info Net sponsors who are authorized Panasonic dealers, Express Video Supply and Zotz Digital. Get their contact info from our Sponsors page. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:47 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I ordered my DVX from Rush at EVS last week. I couldn't be happier with the service I received and my cam showed up less than 48 hours after I hung up the phone. I can't recommend them more.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #39
Major Player

Much lower price

Check this out - Has anybody dealt with these folks? I was stunned at the price.

http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=10778&engine=google

The price is $ 1949. I've seen a bunch of things shot with the 100 and then saw stuff with the xl1 - and frankly there was no comparison.

Now I'm told that the back focus which was a bit soft has been improved along with a bunch of other things.

That's it for me!

Milt Lee
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #40
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

USA Photo Nation, as has been noted elsewhere, is a bottom-feeder dealer that uses unrealistically low price ads to lure unsuspecting customers into its game of ultimately paying far more for standard accessories and junky add-ons. (See Reseller Ratings)

As has been often suggested, buy from reputable authorized dealers such as our sponsors. In the end it pays. You get the full product delivered as promised with full warranty support.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant