AG-LA7200G Anamorphic 16:9 Lens Adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 22nd, 2002, 01:26 PM   #1
Chris McElroy

AG-LA7200G Anamorphic 16:9 Lens Adaptor

I visited the DVX-100 resource page (http://www.mycen.com.my/dv/dvx100specs.html) and see that under "optional accessories", a 16:9 conversion lens is listed, even a model number (AG-LA7200G), but I can find no reference anywhere on that site or elsewhere about it.

This is the last item I am waiting for before deciding to buy this camera. It is also the primary reason I won't buy an XL1-s, since there appears to be no way to get real 16:9 on that camera.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 01:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

unfortunately it's not out yet. Panasonic has listed in the manual that there are several accessories that will be made available sometime next year, and the 16:9 lens is one of them.
Ted Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 02:10 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Most likely this anamorphic adapter will fit the XL1/XL1S as well, as it's a 72mm diameter. As long as the threads are the same, shouldn't be a problem.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM   #4
Wrangler

It is unclear (at this time) if the Panasonic anamorphic adapter is identical to the one reportedly under design by Century Precision. The actual lens diameter is apparently 58mm and the oversized 72mm filter thread allows the mounting of optical accessories with zoom-through and no vignetting.
Terrence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:11 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

<< The actual lens diameter is apparently 58mm >>

Quite correct -- my mistake; sorry.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

16:9 adapter available at ZGC?

Surfing around and I saw that ZGC is selling a (new?) 16:9 for the AG-DVX100 from Optex, or at least selling a model that is confirmed to work with the Panasonic. Does something like this work with one of those Cavision matte boxes?
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #7
Contributor

At first I was unable to find it on their site, but here is a direct link should anyone need it:

http://www.zgc.com/html/anamorphic_attachment.html#xl1

(scroll up page for general information on adapter)

- Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 07:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Clayton,
Have you been running any more test with the DVX-100? I recall your doing a great first review with a promise of a follow-up. I was just curious if you started the follow-up yet.

Thanks, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 12:24 AM   #9
Contributor

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the nice feedback. I am still in the midst of pulling together said tests amidst using the camera currently on a short film.

Here is a link to some frame grabs (as native DV within quicktime movie) from this project:

ftp://ftp.globalartways.org/outgoing...oot_110902.mov
(ftp://ftp.globalartways.org/outgoing/dvx100_shoot_110902.mov)

In short, I have been *very* impressed with the capabilities of the camera when used thoughtfully. I think these frames are good examples of what it can do with some decent lighting. (As mentioned in the file, if at all possible view them out on a reasonably calibrated NTSC monitor to really see what they look like.)

I am currently touching base with Chris to post some clips of this footage. There is not a whole lot of motion but even so the results seem to do a very nice job of emulating film on a production or television monitor (haven't performed the step of converting footage to film and projecting yet...)

Hope this helps - I'd be interested in hearing anyone's feedback,
Clayton

(Also, I didn't intend to hijack this thread. If Chris, Stephen, or Terrence think that this post would be better moved somewhere else or under a different heading please feel free to do so...)
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 03:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

No problem Clayton. I think we're all waiting on solid information for this camcorder - I know I am. Looking forward to your further contributions, thanks for doing so.

(For those of you who were wondering, the Cavision matte box fitted for the DVX100 will work with the current Optex anamorphic adapter according to my friend who is buying one from them soon)
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 06:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Clayton. Wonder if you would give you opinion on the following question. Although the DVX100's most unique feature is the film mode, how would you rate it as a camcorder for general amateur use?

In other words, if a consumer (not interested in making film-look movies) wanted a good, solid camcorder that delivered a good picture (more natural color as opposed to the blue side of the spectrum and a sharp detail as opposed to soft detail), would this be a camcorder to consider?

Thanks for continuing to share your experiences with the DVX100.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 05:42 PM   #12
Major Player

$HOOT a 16:9 hole in your wallet

http://www.optexint.com/digivid/xlanam.htm

built for 72mm optics

around $2.5K
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Yup. These adaptors aren't cheap. Perhaps just use the built-in 16:9 mode, or wait a few years for prosumer HD cams to come out.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Pricy...

and constrained. I'd wait for Pana to come out with something.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 03:29 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Century Optics showed a prototype 72mm anamorphic at DV Expo West; expect pricing around $1500 and availability hopefully before NAB.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant