Century Optics .3 fisheye lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 25th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Century Optics .3 fisheye lens

I have had this lens for about 10 months now, and i'm getting sick of the vignetting. Does anyone know if century plans on making the lens just like the vx2 or gl2's fisheyes.
Thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

.3x ultra fisheye

I've been looking at buying this lens and I guess I'm a bit confused by your post. Being an ultra fisheye, isn't it supposed to have the extreme barrel distortion of vignetting? What is it that you don't like?
James Gleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i used to own the .3 version for my vx1000 and it did not vignette...james, if you zoom in until no vignetting occurs, is there still a pronounced amount of barrel distortion or does the fisheye lose its effect? i'm debating whether to go w/ the .3(based on your feedback) or just go w/ century's regular fisheye which has less barrel distortion but does not vignette. there's always the do it yourself w/ the raynox fisheye lens...
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Aren't there plenty of filters floating around the net that will correct barrel distortion?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5
Major Player

It has GREAT distortion, but the vignetting comes up on the TV in the lower left corner. the .3 ultra fisheye for the gl2, and vx2100 dont have any vignetting at all and still has great distortion. Century needs to step it up.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

greg, how is the barrel distortion once you zoom in enough to avoid vignetting? i agree...for a $700 lens, i would expect no vignetting!
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #7
Major Player

yeah i called century last night, and they said there are no plans for a new lens with out any vignetting. I said to the guy, " it looks very unprofessioal, and its very annoying to see on a TV corner. It's 2004 not 1991. If i zoom past the vignetting, it looses a TAD BIT quality. If you guys can just put in a 1 minute phone call to century and give them some suggestions that would be great.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

greg, what do you mean by "quality"? as in loses it's fisheye effect or softens the image as you zoom in? thanks...
Old August 27th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #9
Major Player

well if you zoom in a lot, the picture becomes extremely blurry. So if you just zoomed in a little bit to pass the vignetting, i believe it loses some quality.
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Greg, is there anyway you could post a picture showing the problem? That would help me understand your complaint more and influence my purchasing decision.
James Gleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

james, he's probably referring to something like this:

http://www.skateperception.com/articles/articles.php?article=dvxfisheye

here's some grabs w/ the diy raynox version:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/YaBB.pl?board=Clips;action=display;num=1090825247;start=3#3

and here's a frame grab of century's regular fisheye:

http://www.icexpo.com/dvx100/Century_fisheye.JPG
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant