Recording Hi8>DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording Hi8>DVX100

How do I set up the DVX to record some clips from a Hi8 camera connected with RCA cables?

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Just put the DVX in VCR mode, plug the Hi-8 camera into the DVX's RCA inputs, and then hit "record" on the DVX and "play" on the Hi-8.

If you want the best possible quality from your Hi-8 tapes, consider borrowing someone's Digital8 camera, which will play back Hi-8 tapes and automatically convert them to DV data. Should do a better job than just doing an analog dub.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Warden

Barry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand better. Doesn't the DVX100 do the same, turn analog into DV? Is there any reason to think that the Sony A/D convertor is better than Panasonic's?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks.

I thought I had to 'flip' a switch somehow, but will try now.

all the best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Barry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand better. Doesn't the DVX100 do the same, turn analog into DV? Is there any reason to think that the Sony A/D convertor is better than Panasonic's? -->>>
He was referring to using a digital video camera that records to Hi8. They can play Hi8 tapes, but have a firewire output. Sony is the only company that makes these that I am aware of.
Will Abele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Barry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand better. Doesn't the DVX100 do the same, turn analog into DV?
I know the Digital8 cams are performing the same A/D operation but wouldn't it be better to remove the analog transfer from cam to cam? There is always a loss with any analog-to-analog tranfer or conversion but I would think that letting a Digital8 do the conversion in-camera and then using lossless firewire between the two cams would be best. Thoughts?

It would be interesting to run a test on this, if someone hasn't already.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Tommy's thinking along the same lines I was, why take the image off Hi-8, put it on analog ports, run it down cables, then pull it in off analog ports and convert it to digital? Why not just have the camera do it all in one step?

I mean, that's the idea... I don't know if, in practice, the Digital8 camera would actually do a superior job, it just seems like a lot fewer intermediary steps.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant