Why should I wait for FX1 over DVX100a? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why should I wait for FX1 over DVX100a?

Hello friends,

I was almost ready to order DVX100a, but all the hype about Sony HDR-FX1 just stoped me to rethink about my decision. Here's what I want or can do without.

* Dont care about 24p.

* Dont care about XLR inputs.

* Want full manual controls.

* Want native 16:9

Taking a look at the features on this camera, what do you think this camera is missing when compared to DVX100a.

Please consider that this is going to be my first camera which I'm going to use to shoot the music videos and nature. As I'm not much familier with the camera stuff, so please help me decide if I should wait for it or just go ahead with DVX100a.

I'm not in hurry so I can wait as this first camera is going to be with me for a long time.

Thanks.
Cieonatechori Michelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Honestly, from what you list as not necessary I would go for the Sony. You get true (well yes and no) manual and 16:9 which the DVX does not have.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Shaw : You get true (well yes and no) manual and 16:9 which the DVX does not have. -->>>

Thanks Aaron. Do you mean that FX1 does not have all manual controls?

I'm also reading that this is going to be a consumer model, and pro is going to be released sometime later. What are the things in DVX100a that are missing in FX1 in terms of controls?

Thanks.
Old September 27th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Think of it as a VX2100 with HD innards...
also, you should note...
HDV 1080i record specification is 1440 X 1080, 60i.

this unit records 960 X 1080 upsampled to 1440 X 1080 interpolation...

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-Announces-High-Definition1080i-HDR-FX1-First-3-CCD-HDV-Camcorder.htm

looks like a great lil camera.. and the fact it still does standard dv with native 16:9 is another beautiful thing.. :)

yes it is good, and it does give u the "scene" configurations similar to the dvx, but its a different camera designed for different purposes to what the dvx was designed to do...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : but its a different camera designed for different purposes to what the dvx was designed to do... -->>>

Thanks Peter. Can you please explain what you mean by 'it's a different camera designed for different purpose to what the dvx was designed to do.'

I want to make sure that the camera I'm going to get is not something that will put any obstacle(in terms of any controls/features) to get the job done. I cant afford to spend money and later discover that I ended up with wrong thing.

Thanks
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Considering your list of what you want/don't want... I'm surprised you were even considering the DVX.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ryan Gohlinghorst : Considering your list of what you want/don't want... I'm surprised you were even considering the DVX. -->>>

I didnt consider DVX because of 24p or XLR inputs, I was leaning towards it because from what I researched about it, it seemed to be a proven one for those who are using it and tons of satisfied DVX users.

Now I'm considering FX1 because I think I really dont need 24p or XLR inputs. But on the other side it does have that 16:9 native and is HD.

I'm just a starter in the Videography thing, so I'll be learning most of the things using whatever first camera I'm going to get. And I do not want to discover later that it is missing some crucial features. If I were well aware about the technical details of camera operating, I would just look into the features and it would be easy to decide. Now, only you guys can help me decide.

Thanks.
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #8
Major Player

<<<--I'm just a starter in the Videography thing, so I'll be learning most of the things using whatever first camera I'm going to get...-->>>

Why don't you just simplify things a bit and tell us what you want to do with you camcorder - wedding videos, "movies", what?
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Don't get me wrong. The DVX is great. I have one and I don't see myself giving it up anytime soon. Just based on the features you want/don't want, it doesn't really jive.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You say you want to shoot music videos and nature.

Just to clarify, is the reason that you don't care about XLR inputs that you are going to be recording the audio to a separate recorder (dual system) to be sync'ed up in post? If this is so, then fine.

If you are planning on recording the sound on the recorder itself, then not having the XLR's can be a pain. Yes, you can route XLR inputs through a Beachtek or similar box to input into the 1/8" mini-plug on the camera, but this gets old really fast if you use it regularly.
Joe Kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for your replies, friends.

Jack, it's for music videos and nature.

Yes, Joe. I can do without XLR because of the reason you mentioned.

Ryan, I was almost going to get DVX from all the good things I've heard about it. Till now I was very much confused if I should wait or not. But I just found this particular article which details this camera. I think my mind is all set now and I'll have to wait till it's out.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-FX1-First-Impression-Camcorder-Review.htm

Thanks.
Old September 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I own a DVX and I love it, but I can't disagree with your decision. Even if the HDV format turns out to be a bust, you still have a 16:9 native 3-chip mini DV camcorder!
Joe Kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #13
Inner Circle

to be honest, i think its going to be the next format... for prosumer.. pro will stil be SD due to th investment already made by huge studios to sd format cameras, but it woudlnt surprise me if they use upsampling techniques as those found in matrox AXIO...

delivery is another story, however i think blue ray will be solution for that..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yeah, I cant wait to have it when it's out. I'm glad I didnt hurry up for DVX. As Joe says, it's just great even for the native 16:9 miniDV camera.

Thanks to you all.
Cieonatechori Michelieve is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant