DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Various questions about Panasonic DVC and DVX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/3885-various-questions-about-panasonic-dvc-dvx.html)

Stephen van Vuuren September 24th, 2002 09:55 PM

Various questions about Panasonic DVC and DVX

http://66.78.26.17/~reli/24P/index.html

Clayton Farr September 30th, 2002 03:05 PM

Mirror host additional DV clips?

Hello All,

I've also been working with Chris to post a number of DV clips - all told about 190MB - that correspond to the frame grabs I had put up previously: http://homepage.mac.com/crf1973/dvx100

They should be coming online soon, but in light of the traffic the clips posted this morning brought on, I was hoping to preemptively solicit anybody interested in mirroring any of the clips on their servers?

If interested please let Chris or myself know.

Thanks,
Clayton

email_claytonfarr@hotmail.com (remove 'email_')

Michael King September 30th, 2002 03:39 PM

Comparison to JVC...

I have a JVC GY-DV500. I'm frothing at the mouth over the DVX100 and trying to decide if I can afford to buy one outright or if I'll have to consider selling the JVC.

What am I giving up on the JVC by switiching cameras? Obviously the chip size, but how big a visual hit is that? Any opinions?

What else justifies the retail price differential of the JVC?

I'd love to hear informed opinions on this one...

Thanks in advance...
Love the bords...

Michael

Clayton Farr September 30th, 2002 05:44 PM

MORE 24p/30p/60i Clips available for download

Hello All,

Thanks to the generosity, time, and bandwidth of Chris and Jeff here are some more clips from the camera (preproduction unit seen last month) - 24p standard, 24p advanced, 30p, and 60i:

http://www.dvinfo.net/panasonic/reports/farr

Not as pretty as birds on the beach, but at least something more to add to the mix. ;)

Best,
Clayton

BTW - Also, if anyone can still help with mirroring these to lighten the load, please pass it along to Chris, Jeff, or myself.

email_claytonfarr@hotmail.com (remove 'email_')

Stephen van Vuuren October 6th, 2002 11:04 AM

Best Prices on Batteries?

Anyone find better prices than B&H for batteries? B&H is out of stock of the highest capacity batteries anyway...

donking! December 25th, 2002 04:06 AM

How to Use "Marker"?

How does the "marker" function work on the DVX100? What do those percentages mean that are displayed? How should they be used for setting exposure on this camera? Thanks.

Matt Milan January 4th, 2003 01:46 PM

DVX-100 In Commercial

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here, but I recently saw a children's McDonald's commercial on TV that had a DVX-100 in the shots.

Ronald and some children are in front of a video store dancing in front of a camera on a tripod which happens to be the DVX-100. It switches between shots of them on the video monitors and a slow zooming shot from behind the DVX-100 into Ronald and the dancing children.

I'm sure that they used a different "Pana" camera to shoot the commercial, but it was interesting seeing the DVX-100 featured there... =)

Chung Lee January 8th, 2003 07:14 AM

New DVX100/ PD150 comparison article

Just got the link from the other forum, maybe some of you know it already but for those who dont know

http://www.lafcpug.org/review_dvx_pd150.html

Andre De Clercq January 11th, 2003 05:06 AM

DVX100 sensitivity

DVX100 is specified with an impressive F11/2000lux sensitivty figure. I never saw this (and don't believe this) with am 1/3"CCD camera. Did somebody verify this? And what is then the S/N figure for this cam?

Frank Granovski January 11th, 2003 05:25 PM

Gavin Paget Dullard compares the MX350/MX500/DVX100

I sold my trusty MX300 as to upgrade to the MX500. Went down to my local store {TasmanAV in Melbourne} and compared the MX350 {which is heavilly discounted in an effort to sell back stock} and the MX500. After viewing both images on a studio monitor I have the following to report.

1. The MX500 having a 1/6 Chip is darker under low light with both cams @ max apertaure and no gain. Under studio light I could tell no difference between the two images. Although the Sales rep was trying to tell me the MX350 looked slightly better, ie. so he could get rid of MX350 stock.

2. The MX350 having 12X gets alot closer than the MX500's zoom.

3. Impressed with the MX500 true 16:9 image when compared to the MX350 16:9 - it looks sharper, as I expected.

4. I was very lucky in that I was able to see unoffically the new AG-DVX100. It is not yet released in Australia untill march/april. Strangly it was a NTSC and not a PAL model {Pal cam will be 25P and not 24P}. I was able to compare the MX500 with the DVX100 - the MX500 was blown out of the water!!! The image looked like it had originated from a studio camera used by the big TV networks. Again strangly the 30i looked sharper than the 24p. The 24p looked very strobe like, with a definite flicker. This might have been the result of the monitor [however it was NTSC/PAL compatible].

5. I was told by the rep that the DVX100 will be the Canon/SonyDV/DVCAM killer, as in their opinion it has the better image of all 3CCD camers in this range, including the cannon XL1s, sony PDX10p.

6. One very strange observation of the DVX100 is that a camera of this expense [will be approx. $8,000 Australian} does not have true 16:9. It only does black bars top & bottom!!!!!!! It does not even stretch the image like the MX300/MX350 !!!!!! This is either a major oversite or it's to prevent Panasonic being hurt in reduced sales of it's more expensive broadcast cameras. Because if the DVX100 had true 16:9 {like the MX500}, then why would you want to spend anymore money?

NB, the MX350/MX500/DVX100 were two at a time hooked up to a switcher box and pointed at the same image and then switched back and forth for comparison. All were set on auto exposure/white-balance/focus .

Note: a new review of the UK NV-MX500B can be seen at the following:

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/11/14/2428.html

Taro Beckwith January 13th, 2003 04:30 AM

What are some good low-light settings?

Can anyone recommend some settings that will optimize the DVX100 for low light situations? I just recently shot footage of a band playing in a dark club, and with the iris fully open, the picture quality was not bad. Still, I was wondering if there were any secret settings that would make the image better? There are a lot of image adjustment options in the DVX100 that I don't fully understand yet. Will setting the gamma on "high" improve detail in the darks? Should I always keep the shutter speed low when shooting in low light?

Steve Nunez February 1st, 2003 03:27 PM

Seperate external controls for AV - TV modes?

Hey Pan users,

I've purchased a GL2 and am regretting it somewhat as the controls for Iris (aperature) and shutter are controlled by the same dial. This arrangement has been problematic for me as I'm used to the seperate control layout of the XL1S (which worked perfectly)...my problem is that I'd prefer to shoot in Manual mode but would like to be able to change Iris and Shutter settings on the fly while rolling video- is this possible with the DVX?

My GL2 is only 2 days old and I can return it back to B&H and put in the cash difference for the Panasonic.....I'm very happy with the video quality of the GL2- just not the control setup......can anyone here confirm, Shutter and Aperature (Iris) can be controlled simulataneously on the DVX with different knobs?

If so- i'll have one tomorrow.......thanks guys.

Joe Carney February 10th, 2003 01:24 PM

Mack Warranty for PAL versions

Mack offers a warranty on the PAL version, for those looking to import the PAL version to the USA. I asked them for a price quote.

I'm finally getting ready to buy, finally!!! And I want the PAL version for a variety of reasons.

Steve Mullen February 16th, 2003 02:55 AM

Sony will soon offer an optical disc DVCAM camcorder

Sony announced it will show at NAB both a new recording media and a new digital format. The optical media consists of a 12-centimeter (5-inch) rewritable disc in a protective cartridge. Blue laser technology for recording and playback allows much higher-recording capacity and bandwidth than possible from red laser. The optical system will offer the choice of recording video with the DVCAM codec at 25Mbps or the MPEG-2, IMX codec at 30, 40 or 50Mbps. A single disc holds 90-minutes of DVCAM material -- or 45-minutes of MPEG IMX material recorded at 50Mbps, 55-minutes at 40Mbps, and 75-minutes at 30Mbps.

The new optical system records both a high-resolution original, and a frame-accurate, low-resolution, MPEG-4 version called a proxy. Using the optical camcorder itself, you'll be able to mark "good" shots using a picture-stamp storyboard displayed on the camcorder's LCD monitor and play them back seamlessly. From the camcorder, users will be able to transfer the proxy information to laptop editors or back to the studio at up to 30 times faster-than-real-time.

Sony's two new optical camcorders capture high-quality pictures with three 2/3-inch EX HAD image sensors and 12-bit analog-to-digital converters. Features include loop/interval recording using a built-in cache memory. Further information on these camcorders will be released at NAB.

Rene Legaspi February 19th, 2003 01:36 AM

test avi (divx codec used) deinterlaced and 3:2 pulldown removed

Here's a small .avi file I made from a clip with dvx100 while driving around town. You need divx (www.divx.com) codec to watch it. It's highly compressed, but it's deinterlaced and runs at 23.976 fps with 3:2 pulldown removed. Used virtualdub to encode.

http://www.tentimesnothing.com/tentimes/street2.avi

Will Boggs February 23rd, 2003 09:28 PM

Rack focus anyone?

Has anyone made any successful attempts using the focus numbers in the VF to pull off rack focus? I am wondering if the servo controlled focus enables the lens to come back to the same spot once the ring has been turned. I am about to buy this cam so the last thing I want to check on is the focus. I am not crazy about the servo focus but if it really works then that is good enough for me. I am also curious about critical focus. Can you zoom all the way in, focus then zoom out to frame the shot and the lens stays where it is supposed to--not drift (i.e. XL1 focus going soft at wide angle)?

Thanks,

Will Boggs
DustBowl Productions

Rocky Han March 5th, 2003 08:48 AM

DVX100 or DVC180

hi buds!
Panasonic has released a new model in my country, model is DVC180. I knew the model same as DVX100 in U.S and other area. But I found a big different that DVC180 is 25P but ain't 24P.

I guess the different bucause broadcast system, PAL system is 50i, so use to our area model need some change... but I don't know what different at 25P mode than 24P, please tell me, THX!

Felipe Matilla March 5th, 2003 11:34 AM

Are you happy with your PAL?

PAL DVX 100 are being sold in some European places... are you happy with a PAL unit? is it the same as an NTSC ? (except the 24/25p and resolution issues)

How much does it cost?

Thanks a lot

Shai Levy March 24th, 2003 08:19 PM

Dvx100e (pal) - 3142$

globalmedia pro e.shop, based in london, offer the pal version for 3142.00$
anyone experienced / know anything about them??

https://www.globalmediapro.com/av/index.cgi?topic=panasdvcam&action=readmore&item=31161

Miguel Lopez March 26th, 2003 10:19 AM

What settings do you have in 25p cine mode?

What settings do you have in 25p cine mode? (in order, please). I found very good to have the chroma at +4 or +5.

Why does it recomend to have the iris at -1? ANd the master ped at -3?

This is what i have now:
detail level +1
chroma level +5
chroma phase 0
color temp 0
masetr ped 0
a iris level -1
gamma cine-like
skin tone On
matrix Cine like
detail thick

I still don´t understand too much the difference of Gamm (well, cine-like certainly does not have too much contrast, but at low or norm, colors appear much better) and matrix (i do not know what it does, no idea, and where to use different modes).

Thanks for your answers

Glenn Gipson March 29th, 2003 03:32 AM

A question for Miguel

So have you been able to improve the image quality on a standard PAL monitor yet? I noticed that you were disappointed with the DVX100E when you first got it, because you said the computer image was nice, but that the standard monitor image wasn’t.

Teo Coxman March 29th, 2003 12:11 PM

Hi all I'm a Newbie...

Just wanted to say hi...I just bought two pannies for a little show I'm getting together...I'm a Cinematographer in Miami and I must say I'm really impressed with these little things...I didn't think tape would look this good in my lifetime...I did a search for a follow focus and I was wondering if anyone owns the Cavision on here...They have one for a great price but I was looking for some real world feedback...Thanks!!!

Mike Curcuru March 29th, 2003 07:10 PM

Wide Angle

Do you think it would be possible for any of you guys to post some screen captures of the difference with the .07x adaptor and the normal on baord lens. Thanks in advance guys.

Stephen van Vuuren April 6th, 2003 03:31 PM

Vegas 4.0b update to fully support AG-DVX100

Should be available on Monday:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030404/45170_1.html

:)

Todd Mattson April 7th, 2003 08:22 AM

Cinemascope lens rigged to DVX....

http://owyheesound.com/Motion_Pictur.../dv-scope.html

Anybody seen this or tried it? How well did it work? Bausch & Lomb cinemascope projector lenses sell on ebay for about $25....

Jinghong Chua April 13th, 2003 09:36 AM

Volume control for Monitoring Audio Recording Level Using Headphone

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the proud owners of DVX100 knew how to adjust the volume of the headphone when monitoring recording audio levels?

The default level seems to be ted too low for accurate judement for audio levels.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas Berg Petersen April 21st, 2003 07:20 PM

Difference between DVX100 and XL1S PAL?

Hi forum,
I read somewhere that the colors (not to mention the 24p feature) should be amazing on the DVX100 compared to the XL1S (NTSC I assume).
But I wonder what the differences would be if you compared the DVX100 to the XL1S PAL. Anyone?

Christopher Go April 29th, 2003 04:44 AM

Hidden Diagnostic Menu

Saw this over at 2-pop:

Here's how to access the hidden diagnostic menu in the AG-DVX100:

Simultaneously press and hold the AudioDub button and the Rewind button, then press Menu. It'll bring up the regular menu and you'll see there are two new menus, #8 and #9.

CAUTION IS ADVISED. These menus are probably best used by someone who knows what the heck they're doing, and you can probably mess up your camera if you don't know what you're doing!

Very interesting. Thanks to ICExpo for the post. Perhaps Steve Mullen could say some things about these menus (other than avoid them, which I'm going to do anyway until more is determined).

Lisa Strong May 2nd, 2003 08:44 PM

DVX 100 vs GL-1, no GL-2

I tested my good old GL-1 side by side with the DVX100. We shot the Canon how I usually rig it: in frame mode, auto white balance and a Tiffen polarizer with a warming filter with manual exposure, keeping the shutter at 1/60th. We shot the Panasonic in 30P with default gamma and 24P with cinegamma, without filters. Both progressive modes on the DVX 100 looked significantly better than the Canon. We shot around 3 p.m. on the coast of Santa Cruz, CA. One scene was surfers catching waves. The GL-1 couldn't capture the contrast range. Once the waves got white and frothy, the highlights blew out completely. The DVX 100 was able to hold on to the highlights and dark water. In another instance, in order to properly expose for the surfers' faces, the Canon lost the detail in their dark wet-suits. Again the DVX 100 was able to hold both. I love the GL-1 frame mode, but it looked uncomfortably soft side by side with the DVX footage. Both had the "film-like" look, but the Canon was soft. Overall, I preferred the color rendition of the Canon compared to the DVX in default gamma, which I perceived as bluish/neutral (of course I did have a warming filter on the GL-1!). However, I loved the look of the DVX cinegamma. Also, I didn't care for the look of 24P on the waves. I definitely noticed the stroby look, but it 30P, it looked lovely. If I bought a DVX 100, I would shoot it in 30P with cinegamma. HOWEVER, the GL-1 has twice the optical zoom - a big advantage over the DVX 100! And I own all this stuff for the GL-1 and XL-1.

So, in fact, after all that, I still have a question. When I told a friend about my test, he said, "Well, that was the GL-1! Did you test it against a GL-2?" Um, no. So now I'm wondering if anyone else has looked at side by side footage with the GL-2 and the DVX 100. I primarily shoot natural history documentary footage for museums. It's never going to film. Has the picture quality improved enough on the GL-2 to give the DVX 100 a run for its money? But that 20x lens on the Canon...

LS-A

Greg Filipkowski May 6th, 2003 09:38 PM

DVX100 questions

I shoot a fil with 3 canon xl1's here is the footage:
http://www.vispol.com/LifeXtreme/liextremetrailer.mpg

I'm thinking about purchasing the Pana 24P. I use Canopus dvrex to edit; I don't thing it supports 24p. I won't be transfering to film. The lietreme film part will be sold for braodcast and dvd distribution, but I want that film look when it's shot on 24p mode. Is there anyway to copy the DV footage and input at 30 frames into the system firewire and edit at regular speed? Is the footage clarity better than Canon XL1's? How about playback and going SVHS cables in to NLE---than it becomes 30fps, but the quality drops (I bet)? You guys are probably saying shoot 30---isn't than the same as Canon XL1 footage?

John Goul May 8th, 2003 12:59 AM

Panasonic Anamorphic Lens Problems - Answers

I am using the anamorphic lens adaptor for DVX100E and I love the results!

But, I am having 2 problems :

- I keep getting black round corners at times even with zoom > 40
I use it handheld at the moment 'cause I'm waiting for a
VariZoom stabilizer to arrive.
- It's very difficult to attach and detach it to the camera.

Am I doing something wrong here?
I would appreciate any help-suggestion.

John

Paul Bettner May 12th, 2003 03:14 PM

DVX100 dolly footage

Cross posted here from the film look forum, but it's DVX100 footage so I'll drop a link here too, if that's ok.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9563

paulb

Brian Cupini May 19th, 2003 09:43 AM

.6 crystal optics wide angle adapter at B&H photo video

I just got their catalog, it lists the .6 wide angle adapter for the DVX-100 for $329.. The .7 wide angle adapter is a bit more. It's www.bhphotovideo.com if you're interested.

Can anybody tell me the diff between .6 and .7 wide angle lens adapters? Is the .6 even worth it?

Glen Elliott May 23rd, 2003 04:51 PM

Auto focus making noise- LOUD noise!

I was testing some of the sceen settings in my DVX100 today and I noticed a loud crumbling/buzzing sound...loud enough for the person on the phone to hear. I read in another post a guy was expressing concern about this- but I think in my case it was a bit different....it was like 3X louder than the servo zoom. It did it when it had trouble focusing and the focus #'s kept changing. Thankfully it stopped and hasn't done it since. Anyone else have this happen?! *I'm so paranoid now*

Glen Elliott May 24th, 2003 09:23 PM

Ouch don't shoot in F3 mode- yikes

Shot another wedding this weekend. Figured I'd use F3 mode (boosted chroma, lowered master ped., and increased detail). Well it wasn't bad other than the detail- it looks almost too sharp...borderline halo'ing. Anyone else notice this?
*and YES, I do know you can tweak the Sceen settings manually*

Glenn Gipson May 31st, 2003 06:42 AM

Any new Anamorphic Frame Grabs?

Anyone have relatively new frame grabs of the DVX 100 with the Panasonic Anamorphic adapter attached?

Geoff Zimmerman May 31st, 2003 11:38 PM

DVX-100 Bootcamp

This is a heads up regarding a two-day hands-on filmmaking workshop is slated for June 14th and 15th 2003 at the LA Filmmakers Alliance, located at 965 N. Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103.

The first day is devoted to a complete overview of the DV production process. Attendees learn hands on camerawork, lighting techniques, and sound recording. Professional guest filmmakers include John Serna, VTP/Panasonic, Brady Harris, Lowell Light, director of photography Geoff Zimmerman and sound recordist Tom Staninis. Director Robert Grasmere and Panasonic?s John Serna conduct hands on session with the Panasonic 24p DVX-100. Attendees learn camcorder menu options, scene blocking and shot composition.

Sunday is all about post-production. Apple FCP guru Steve Martin teaches the all-new Final Cut Pro 4. This is an amazing upgrade loaded with extra features. Steve edits 24p footage captured directly from the DVX-100. Attendees learn the latest tips and tricks. Attendees see a series of selected takes shaped to create a polished dialogue sequence. Attendees learn how to create a music soundtrack using Smart Sound Sonic Pro 2 and to prepare content for multi-media release using Magic Bullet and Sorenson Squeeze.

You can register or get more info by calling (800) 525-5854 or visit www.DVCamps.com

Thanks,
Geoff Zimmerman

Chuck Purnell June 5th, 2003 09:00 PM

DVX100 DEMO DVD from PROMAX

If you are interested in purchasing a DVX100 and have not yet seen what it can do or the quality it possess. You can contact the folks at www.promax.com and ask them to send you the DVD that highlights the DVX100. Basically what it is a they shoot a scene in a bar with a couple at a table talking. One camera is shooting the girl and it is the Sony PD150 and the other camera is shooting the guy and its the DVX100. You can clearly see the difference in quality each time they switch camera angles. Oh yea the DVD is FREE!!!!! If you don't see anything about the DVD on their website then call them toll free...

Jamison Olivieri June 15th, 2003 07:49 PM

Help!

Can Someone telle me what kinda settings you guys have on your AG-DVX100 as in Scene file recording setup. I just got mine 2 weeks ago and Im trying to get the right settings.

Johan Lundberg June 17th, 2003 10:57 AM

Audio out problem

My DVX only outputs some sort of low noise when i connect the RCA audio connectors to any component (TV audio equipment etc). No recorded sound is passed out through the outputs, only the "noise". However when i plug in a pair of headphones to the camera i get the recorded audio from the RCA outputs. Although it seems like it is a phones signal, since it is distorted and I can control the volume of it with the volume control on the camera. I guess this is not how it is supposed to work, right?, or am I missing something about the audio outputs?

Thanks for any help.