My first cam is on it's way! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 8th, 2002, 10:45 AM   #16
Space Hipster

As long as a extra wide angle and telextender of quality are released, I won't miss it too much.

I did love shooting with the Canon manual lens, but the focus and iris control on this camera I actually like better, to my surprise.

The full wide angle I had with the 3X plus Century optics on the XL1 I don't have right now, so I miss that, but I expect that to change as Panasonic has announced one (part number is in the manual).

I also expect a telextender to come out as well.

The key factor will be how well they are crafted since this camera needs good glass in front of it.

But, I made the decision quite some time ago that progressive scan, low weight and balance, professional video controls and usuable built in XLR were ultimately more important than interchangeable lenses.

Thats why I did not upgrade to an XL1s (though if it had 24P, I would have been very tempted).

Ultimately, better CCDs and true progressive scan make a much bigger impact on the image than the Canon glass.
Old October 8th, 2002, 02:12 PM   #17
Tourist

Is your judgment of picture quality and low light performance true for interlaced mode (60i) as well as progressive?

Dean Isaacs
Dean Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #18
Space Hipster

I've actually shot no 60i footage. I can't ever image using anything but 30 or 24p :)

So, all my comments apply to the progressive modes.
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

now I'm officially salivating over this camera.

too bad they didn't put 16x9 ccd's in it. I'm sure it would've sent the price up more than a hunk of glass. But that hunk of glass will stop down your image some more (although if lo light performance is good, might be able to achieve some juicy DoF) and limited zoom range, it basically limits your creative possibilities. I personally prefer a nice zoom through wide angle on my XL1, but it sounds like this camera is what I need.

Have you been able to do any good follow focus tests with it? I really like manual focus rings for doing this stuff. I heard that the focus ring on the dvx100 is like the canon stock lens, except you have a 1-100 reading in the viewfinder. Obviously this might work well enough, but I always prefer to measure my marks when possible and adjust the focus puller to stop on these measurements for bang-on focusing without loosing a take because I over shot and had to go soft for a few frames.

Hopefully, I'll have my demo of the unit in the next little bit.

Adrian
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 05:19 PM   #20
Space Hipster

Follow focus works just as well, if not slighter better than on the XL1 14X manual lens for me. The light but accurate focus ring and the LCD focus scale are rock solid. So, you set your marks and follow.

Have not tested extensively, but will more in the next few days.
Old October 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

dvx100 follow focus

cool. I look forward to checking it out. I'm gonna be absolutely thorough in my testing of the unit.

when I was referring to manual focus, I was talking about focus puller piece of hardware that attaches on to some support rods. I really wish these cameras would stick to standard threading on focus rings, so that if you really wanted to, you can add such a device to aid (and in the case of the old canon xl1 workhorses, having to buy an extra lens). It's not like it's all that more tactile to have a free spinning focus ring with rubber nubs. In fact, I find the lack of mechanical feedback a definite minus of most dv cams, and it definitely contributes to the amatuer perception of most dv equipment. Panasonic, are you listening?

Adrian
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Dude, why don't you review this cam and send your review to Camcorder and Computer Video, they'd probably snap it up immediately.

-Vinson
Vinson Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 09:00 AM   #23
RED Code Chef

I'd love to here more on that follow focus thing. Would be nice.
So this camera ASSURES that a setting of 20 or 53 is ALWAYS
the same? Sweet.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 09:18 AM   #24
Space Hipster

Rob:

From what I can tell, it does. I have not broke out the measuring tape yet, but that appears to be solid.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant