DV30 audio level adjustment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Tourist

DV30 audio level adjustment

I'm considering buying the DV30 and like what I've read. The one thing that gives me pause is the fact that you can only set the audio levels from the menu. I do a good bit of interviewing in my work as a personal historian and like to be able to monitor the audio as I go. The GL2 does have an advantage here with external audio controls.

I'd appreciate hearing from those of you using the DV30 as to how you find riding audio levels on the run. And any other favorable or not favorable comments about the camera.

Thanks.

Dan
Dan Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #2
New Boot

audio level

Hello

I actually find that the audio is very easy to adjust in the DVC30 as you get to the menu by only pressing one button and the menu with the options will "stick" and let you adjust at your leisure.

Regards

Leo
Leo Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Salazar
Hello

I actually find that the audio is very easy to adjust in the DVC30 as you get to the menu by only pressing one button and the menu with the options will "stick" and let you adjust at your leisure.

Regards

Leo
And alternatively the optional XLR adapter, if you choose to buy one, has a pair of manual level controls
Alex Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Right, if you use the XLR adaptor and external microphone (which you should because the internal mic isn't very good at all), you have very easy audio level adjustments on the XLR box.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Tourist

Mor audio questions Re: DVC30

Thanks guys,

I've been away for a few days so just getting your replies. Your comments are helpful.

I was wondering after you set the audio levels and closed the menu is there a way of monitoring the levels in the LCD?

Regards,

Dan
Dan Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Curtis
I was wondering after you set the audio levels and closed the menu is there a way of monitoring the levels in the LCD?
Yes it is! :)

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #7
New Boot

DVC30 XLR Adapter

I agree with everything said so far, but I find the TINY manual dials on the XLR adapter extremely difficult to use, especially for fine adjustment. My fingers are average size. (In fact, I'm of Japanese ancestry, so I wonder who Panasonic had in mind when they designed this thing). I'm sure Panasonic designed the dials so that it would be difficult to accidentally change settings, but IMHO they went overboard. I have to try to catch one of the tiny ridges on the dial with a fingernail, or press hard enough in the gap where there is access to the dial to squeeze some flesh against the dial. Either way, I risk jarring the camera and quick precise adjustments are impossible. I'm considering either trimming a fingernail to fit the small gap, or filing down the plastic ridge that runs along the edge of the dials.

Unfortunately, my DVC30 has been at the local Panasonic service center for almost three weeks for repair of a sound problem which I describe in a different post. Apparently it is a defect in the camera, not the XLR adapter.

Other than that, the pictures are great, and the sound is potentially great too.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wake
I'm considering either trimming a fingernail to fit the small gap, or filing down the plastic ridge that runs along the edge of the dials.
I filed down the plastic edges on my AG-MYA30 and do not regret it. The volume is really easy to adjust after the plastic edges has been filed down. The should not have been there from the start imo.

/Roger
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

glowing dials

Another thing, the DVC30 brochure says;

[Featuring two XLR audio input terminals and level controls, the adapter lets you independently switch channel 1 or channel 2 to mic or line input, with each having its own "glow in the dark" level adjustment.]

Apart from the trouble moving the controls with my chubby fingers I have trouble finding the things in the dark to start with. My level controls are pitch black in the dark.
Does anyone have a box where the dials actually do glow?
Alex Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Gee
Does anyone have a box where the dials actually do glow?
I agree with you about that the controls are hard to find in the dark. The only time i have seen my controls glow are after they had been exposed to sunlight.

/Roger
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The volume arrows on the XLR actually do glow in the dark. Yesterday, I held the XLR under a reading lamp for a few minutes and then checked it out in a dark room. Try it out.

Roger,

The plastic edges you are talking about is that very thin strip of plastic that runs vertical between the notches on the wheel and the wide part of triangle volume pointer ? What did you use to file it down ? I am thinking I should do that too.

Adam
Old July 13th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Folickman
The plastic edges you are talking about is that very thin strip of plastic that runs vertical between the notches on the wheel and the wide part of triangle volume pointer ? What did you use to file it down ? I am thinking I should do that too.
I used a X-ACTO knive from Letraset. Thats a ideal tool for this!

Here are a picture of the modified MYA-30:
http://members.chello.se/averdahl/ex...0_modified.jpg

Here is a picture of the knive i used:
http://members.chello.se/averdahl/example/letraset.jpg

/Roger

Last edited by Roger Averdahl; July 14th, 2005 at 02:47 AM.
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the pictures Roger.

I am going to give that a try.

Adam
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #14
New Boot

I have heard alot of complaints about some sort of buzzing on the audio of the dvc30, I am really considering getting the camera but i was not sure about the audio situation, some say that it is only when they are listening through the headphones, but others say all the time, i wasnt sure about that so if anyone could help me out, please let me know, thanks
Jordan Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #15
New Boot

Buzzes..???

Hello
I have never heard any buzz either on headphones or viewing takes whatsoever.

Actually, I find my camera to be very silent oposed to capturing zoom sounds or weens and buzzes via the onboard mic.

With external mics, I do find the connectors to be very sentive to being connected properly, and when they are not, mono sound and all sorts of buzzes, squeeks and squeels are generated. Particularly if grounded in any way.

Regards

Leo
Leo Salazar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant