DVX for wildlife documentary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #1
New Boot

DVX for wildlife documentary?

Have any of you used the DVX to shoot wildlife? If so, the A or the B?

Originally I was considering the XL1S, but I really want 24P capability and everyone I talk to raves about the DVX and that it is the one and only choice when it comes to any indie production.

On the other hand the focal length on the XL's are greater than the DVX's, so I keep moving between the two.

Anyway, the focus of my question is your opinion of the application of a DVX to shoot wildlife and whether it's zoom capabilities would be sufficient or if I'd find that I can't get close enough to my subjects (caribou, specifically, among other Arctic wildlife)

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

I want to also add that I also plan to use the camera for narrative productions, so in that case the DVX would be perfect.
Zach Wolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

The best wildlife shooter I know is Kevin Railsback of Pawprint Productions. He's out gathering some amazing footage with an HVX right now, so could probably advise you best on how the DVX would perform (seeing as an HVX is a high-def DVX).

One thing to consider is the XL2 -- if you really like the XL1 but need true 24P, sounds like the XL2 may be tailor-made for what you want to do.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If you'd like to see how the DVX does with nature and such, take a look at http://www.pinelakefilms.com/

Steve manages to get some wonderful images. (And I'm pretty sure he uses a 1.6x tele converter a lot...the focal length can be played with without losing much of anything. )
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Perhaps the HD100U would be worth considering.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well -- DOH! Can't believe I forgot Disjecta (pinelakefilms)! He's phenomenal, and uses a DVX with a 1.6 teleconverter as mentioned.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Wrangler

here's the actual link to his DVX nature footage:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=disjecta

lovely stuff.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #7
New Boot

Thank you all for your invaluable guidance and input with this decision.

I'm not yet at the point where I'll need HD.

The XL2 is certainly an option.

Why did all of you make the decision to invest in a DVX instead of an XL? And which DVX specifically?

For long time I've been considering investing in an XL, but recently I've rethought my position, leaning more toward a DVX, but I've been uncertain as whether the B is worth that much more for its added features instead of the A.

Thanks again for your input.
Zach Wolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM   #8
New Boot

I would reccomend getting your hands on all three camera and trying them out your self. You may find that certain ergonomic factors make the decision for you. I was thinking about buying a 100B until I tried one. I thought being able to see the squeezed footage in proper 16x9 rather than the "Conehead" version you get on the 100A would be great. However, I found the letterboxed image in the viewfinder too small to for me to see to focus properly in run & gun situations. Thus I decided to get a 100A while I still could. This was a totally personal preference though. You may be perfectly happy with the 100B. Usually it's better to buy the latest version of just about any thing.

I'm not a big fan of the XL series cameras because of the way they're laid out, but the ability to put a high powered zoom lens on it might be beneficial.

Just looking at the footage I saw I'd say the pinelakefilms stuff was definitely shot with a teleconverter. First of all the DVX just doesn't have much zoom power. Secondly, the depth of field is really tight. You'll definitley need one too for shooting wildlife.
Brian Henderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant