Advice on 100b extras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Tourist

Advice on 100b extras

Thanks in advance for any and all that can offer me some advice..

I am going to be purchasing a 100b ASAP. I know there are a number of extra components that I need beyond the camera and was wondering if anyone can advise me on select pieces or perhaps a package deal out there that they could recommend.

Things I am most unsure of are items like filters, recommended battery upgrade, lenses, hands free controlers, microphones, etc.

BH Photo has a number of accesories listed under the camera and I typcially trust their advice, but thought I should see if anyone has some better products that they could recommend.

I am currently filming weddings, events, kiteboarding action shoots, short films, etc. Indoor/outdoor, simple or natural lighting. Nothing too fancy. Just want to upgrade my equipoment and ensure I get the best products to go with it.

Appreciate anyones input.

Thanks!

Bryan
St. Petersburg, FL
Bryan Leighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The first thing i recomend is put a uv filter on there and never take it off unless it gets damaged, that way you never have to get your lense dirty or scratched.
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I bought my 100B recently, and got a 72mm UV filter (get a high quality multicoated filter, to reduce flare), a spare battery (get the large one, same as the included battery), a sturdy video monopod (or a tripod if that is better for you), a stereo gun microphone (shoot mono only if you plan to mix post-production), a sturdy video bag, a rain cover, and plenty of panasonic tapes. What I still need is a white balance card, and a wide angle lens (but the standard lens is usually wide enough for me).
Good luck.
Chris Suzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #4
Major Player

You might also want a polorizing filter. if you encounter glare from a window or shooting into the water, you can rotate the filter to eliminate it - works just like polorized sunglasses ~
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

extras.. hmm..

beltclip battery pack, but DONT lose teh connection to it and the cam, tehir bloody expensive. Reason i recommend this is simply due to weight...

a good mic, i use a Sennheiser K6 with a ME64 and Rycote softy on one of them, the other is using the Pana MK100 (or something..) nota bad mic actually but the Rode NTG1 is better and cheaper... back then though these didnt exist.. lol

a video light.. with this cam 35w (oncam) is sufficient in any environemnt. 50w or more off or if u intend to light fom the side

a tripod.. obviously. Bogen/Manfrotto make some nice kits, 503 head is recommened, but with practice u can get away with a 501. I dont think people know what Bogen means in australia though.. i guess thats why they use the manfrotto brand name instead.. lol

filters.
I got loads of teh buggers, but i only use a circular polariser when shooting outside in harsh sunlight. stunning results. I find UV filters to be more of a hindrance as the DVX lens is very sharp. To be specific, at full wide, the specs and abherations on the UV filter are visible. I also find the glare form some filters unaaceptable. I also find teh DVX thread to be rather pissy in its design and doent bode well for 10second filter mounting. For vent work, its too fidly and recessed to wack on a lens. A mattbox with a drop down filter bracket would be better but thats another story altogether..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #6
New Boot

Cinemek

You were talking about the Cinemek 35mm adapter for the DVX. Do you know if this thing exists yet or is Cinemek taking their dear sweet time to produce them?
Plus, how much is it going to cost? I hear its going to be about 1200 bucks.
Jack McTigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just got my 100b few days ago and i been doing TONS of Research before the big investment, so here goes...

a) Mic: Audio Technical AT1043a , rode shock mount, 1.5 ft xlr cable everything for about $ 569. The next step up mic would cost u more than $1 k. If you want a cheaper good mic, I heard good thing bout the Sennheiser ME66/K6P (i heard this mic runs hot and you need an attenuator) around $399 and at below $280 is the popular AT897.

b) At superb value below $ 1k, get the Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 503 Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case. This setup runs about $500. If you want to spend more money go for cartoni focus 2 stage system for about $ 1445

c) Hoya UV filter (protector), .8 ND filter and Linear Polarizer filter. All are multicoated thin lens, midpriced lens.

d) Also got this great DIY book http://www.dvcamerarigs.com

good luck
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant