Macgregor's "Similo" Film Picture Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 5th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Macgregor's "Similo" Film Picture Quality

In SIMILO, the short film by Macgregor, shot with a DVX100, the picture quality, is excellent. See picture 1:
http://www.stedeford.com/dvx100picturequality.html

Yet the natural picture quality in picture 2 doesn't look good. See picture 2:
http://www.stedeford.com/dvx100picturequality.html

These are both shot with the same camera, yet the picture quality is different.

Why/How is this?

Apologies for the double-post, I think I realised this should be here and not in the other forum!
Matt Stedeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Jubal 28

He had a lot better lighting.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What do you mean by "better" lighting? Come on, the entire edges look totally messed up in picture 2, and it was shot in daylight, and the entire picture crispness and detail is significantly better in the similo film yet it's the same camera- how does one achieve this quality with that camera?

I'm just looking for some insight into how it was done. I'm thinking about getting a DVX100 but I won't if the quality is going to be like that shown in picture 2! Thanks for any insight. :)

Last edited by Matt Stedeford; July 5th, 2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry, but he's right. It's mostly lighting. And maybe a little cc action. As for the differences in overall picture quality that could be attributed to a harsher daytime light in the bottom pics BG. Maybe the edges are blown out (overexposed)?
PM MacGregor on this site or DVXser and ask him.
You'd be absolutely shocked at how much cinematic lighting can change the way a shot looks. The bottom pic has flat lighting and low contrast.
The top has beautiful "Golden Hour" lighting to one side of her face creating dimension in her facial features.
Combine this with a nice composition, the fact she has a white jacket against a dark background, etc...it all begins to add up.
The little things matter.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Major Player

One more thing...MacGregor is a very talented guy, but you'd do better to get Cinematography: Theory and Practice by Blain Brown and learn nuts and bolts stuff instead of scratching your head trying to figure out how he did it. Trust me, it'll change your life. (at least the part that deals with lighting).
Best of luck.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #6
Major Player

lighting is absolutely everything, its how images function, he shot that shot at magic hour. light adds 3d volume to objects and adds drama. learn lighting then learn the camera, i guarantee you I could pull images like that with a pos camera.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi,

Thanks for the in depth info! I will check that cinematography book out. I have PM'ed macgregor aswell. I read contrasting views around the forum, some people say cameras don't work well with contrasting light. Macgregor's film seems to proove the opposite.

Hi Riley, if you are able to get the same apparent image quality as Similo in a short, combined with your magic vfx talents then sure I will be interested in making music for it. :)

Matt
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stedeford
I'm thinking about getting a DVX100 but I won't if the quality is going to be like that shown in picture 2!
This, I don't get -- you know the DVX is capable of macgregor's image, so why are you worried that it can only produce the lower one?
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Major Player

I actually helped out on the Similo project and worked with macgregor. You are all correct, it is all lighting and shot in magic hour or golden hour. But in the end it's all down to Macgregor/Bruno Zacharias and good post skills.

Also I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare those images. The first image is from Similo, which took much tweaking in camera,tweaking in post, patience and lighting. The 2nd pic is just point and shoot, he didn't do any post or tweak the camera. So it's not a fair comparison.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
I actually helped out on the Similo project and worked with macgregor. You are all correct, it is all lighting and shot in magic hour or golden hour. But in the end it's all down to Macgregor/Bruno Zacharias and good post skills.

Also I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare those images. The first image is from Similo, which took much tweaking in camera,tweaking in post, patience and lighting. The 2nd pic is just point and shoot, he didn't do any post or tweak the camera. So it's not a fair comparison.
Thanks for that, every bit of info helps..
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
This, I don't get -- you know the DVX is capable of macgregor's image, so why are you worried that it can only produce the lower one?
I don't know that Simillo was shot on DVX. It might have been FX-1, there is some confusion about this, I guess only macgregor can answer that.
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stedeford
I don't know that Simillo was shot on DVX. It might have been FX-1, there is some confusion about this, I guess only macgregor can answer that.
It was (mostly) the DVX. BTS photos of that very shot show the DVX taking it.

http://personales.ya.com/elfabrica/IMG_2994.jpg
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
It was (mostly) the DVX. BTS photos of that very shot show the DVX taking it.
Some people think it was the FX-1, and Macgregor implied it was the FX-1 (I could have misunderstood that) in another trhread about this at dvxuser.com, he goes "Also, similo has been sharpened for the web compression...Anyway i dont have the FX1 anymore".
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #14
Jubal 28

You might have missed my edit. Click the link in my post directly above.
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
You might have missed my edit. Click the link in my post directly above.
I see it, thanks! That is a dvx100 in that shot but was the same camera used in the shot on the film.. are there any more bts shots or info? such as post app/cc, lighting equipment+techniques. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Matt Stedeford; July 6th, 2006 at 12:17 PM.
Matt Stedeford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant