Odd Unintentional Fish Eye Lens effect... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Odd Unintentional Fish Eye Lens effect...

While working on my last short, I noticed the walls and straight edges would be...warped...sort of like a fish eye effect, but not as extreme.

Did I accidently put this setting on? Or is something wrong with my camera? maybe its my tripod?

Actually here is a pic!

http://www.ideacog.org/web/aclockwor...s/293_3618.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy JPG) - but do you see how the sides are curved?

I hope this isnt a negative affect from when I was out in the rain (with umbrella) with the camera and it got a tad wet. drops here and there. I hate myself for staying in the rain the few minutes that we did, even with an umbrella.

Anyone know?
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #2
High School Student

Nah, don't worry. It's completely normal. It's called barrel distortion, and it's present on almost all cameras....

A few raindrops aren't going to change the optical system of your camera. :)
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #3
Warden

Alex is correct. What you are seeing is indeed Barrel Distortion. All lenses do suffer from barrel distortion to one degree or another. However, the barrel distortion present in the DVX100 is greater than most mini DV cameras.

In my opinion it has more barrel distortion than any other camera in it's class (XL1, PD150, etc.). In all fairness, it should be pointed out that the DVX100 has the widest angle zoom of any camera in it's class also. The excessive barrel distortion has been noted in several reviews and I've noted it in several threads in the forums here.

Do search of the forums and you'll find several threads and links to images showing barrel distortion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

oh thank god its normal. is there anyway to minimize it though?
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #5
Warden

Don't zoom as wide. The effect is most pronounced at the widest setting and diminishes as you zoom toward the telephoto range.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant