Need advice from the group at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 17th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Need advice from the group

I am considering an evaluation/purchase of a used DVX100. Most likely, I will have a few days to check the camera out before I committ to purchase. This will be my first DV camera. Here's what I know about the camera:

--purchased 1 month ago, less then 10 hours use
--owner claims it is in perfect condition
--owner claims it is not grey market camera
--says he is selling because it is too much camera for him
--says it was purchased from UK based company, it is NTSC
--price will be negotiable, I expect <3k
--all accessories are included

If I get the camera, how can I evaluate it in a short period of time so that I know I'm getting a good deal? What must I look for? Is there a way to tell if it is grey market? I live in Dallas, is there an expert in this area that would take a look at it?

Any advice is appreciated.

Doug
Doug Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Space Hipster

First of all, you can look at the head time count in the Panasonic menu. I don't think there is a hack to reset that to verify time in use.

Secondly, get the serial number from him and call Panasonic to verify warranty etc. from Panasonic.

Thirdly, shoot plenty of test footage (be sure to find out what tapes he used, hopefully recommended tapes and only those, if he mixed tape types, that could be an area of concern) in all modes, verify all camera function (including audio, i/o etc.) are working. Hopefully, you both look/listen to the footage on a quality monitor and capture to computer.

Inspect the lens carefully (be sure he's had a UV protective filter on it from day one) for any signs of scratches/marks.

If it indeed it has been used for less than 10 hours by a careful owner, it will be in perfect condition. My 2 year old XL1 I sold with about 50 recording hours (any many more in standby and playback) looked brand new except for a couple of very small marks in soft plastic on the handle tape controls.

Trust your intuition and don't be afraid to ask for a bill of sale, copies of any paperwork receipts etc.

Since new prices over just over $3K from good dealers, I would not pay more than $2750 even if it's perfect. He'd have to throw in some actual other items to get more than that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant