Panasonic batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old March 1st, 2020, 05:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic batteries

I have just upgraded my camcorder from the HC-X1000 to the HC-X1E. The new cam lists a new battery type is required but the batteries from the previous cam are exactly the same specification and physically identical. The old batteries also appear to work perfectly in the new cam.

I contacted Panasonic to ask what is the difference between the batteries. Here is their response:

"In response to your query, I would need to inform you that the information on the construction of the batteries is not released to the public. As a result, I will not be able to provide you with a comparison between the two quoted battery packs. However, I can advise that we only guarantee the full functionality of a unit with the accessories specifically manufactured for that unit. As such, although the battery for the HC-X1000 might have similar specifications as the one for the HC-X1E, we will not be able to guarantee the compatibility the battery and this camcorder. Furthermore, if you decide to use it, and any issues are caused by this, the issues would not be considered manufacturing faults and as such, not covered by the warranty."

The new batteries are well over £300 each so you can understand why I would prefer to continue using my existing batteries.

I see this subject has come up before on this forum but does anyone here know if there really are any differences or is this just a ruse by the company to sell more batteries?
Syd Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Panasonic batteries

There will be a number of legit and business reasons as to why they don't publish the exact specs of their batteries. What has come out of previous discussions is that the entity with most at stake for proper battery performance is the camera manufacturer as the reputation of their video cameras is at stake.

A poor third-party battery can make their good gear look and perform terrible, and the sorts of people who strive hard to save a few bucks are the simplistic ones who would never associate performance issues with the battery and then blame the device instead.

Buy the good batteries and enjoy not having to worry about the reliability and performance. We're here to film stuff.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I’d want to know EXACTLY what make the battery special. Unless the battery has done very special capability then I fail to see what the problem could be? If it had charging status display or perhaps a battery condition monitor I see the point but for powering the camera I would want reassurance I wasn’t being conned into something not necessary. If I had batteries that powered it and they worked, then I know what I’d do! Dell laptops are good examples of where manufacturers create barriers that just protect margins. Sell the laptop cheap but make users spend on expensive batteries and chargers.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:25 AM   #4

Given that the batteries and charger come with a Dell laptop, I don't see much of a point here.

The difference with the manufacturer battery will be in the realm of the very best cells, proper design and engineering with no shortcuts, and the insulation and control circuitry that goes with it. Also, your AC adapter for powering the camera directly will likely also have some power conditioning capabilities to suppress or eliminate otherwise unknown spikes that come through the mains.

If you really insist on definitively knowing, then this burden is yours. From my perspective it's just not worth it to be cheaping out on batteries and discovering issues part way through a shoot.

Andrew
Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

My point with the dell is that they stop you using alternative batteries with active sensing. I’ve been using all kinds of brands since the NP1 batteries on my old Betacam. Capacity was the main difference. I found the branded Sony’s just as prone to failure. I respect your opinion but we’ll have to agree to differ. Looking at my stock of packs for my cameras I find no differences at all and often the cells inside the branded as nd unbranded ones can even be the same!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 05:07 PM   #6
New Boot

I'm with Paul on this one. The Panasonic batteries are 10 times the cost of the 3rd party manufacturers. Speaking as a design engineer, there is simply no way the manufacturing cost of the Panasonic battery could be that high. The raw materials and the technology are identical. Only the structure and anciliary electronics would be different, but not enough to make that huge financial difference.
I have used genuine batteries over the years from Panasonic, Sony, Nikon and Canon, and I have also used 3rd party types and I have never seen any difference. In fact the only failure I have ever had was with a Nikon cell. Looking through the posts on this forum on this subject, most users say the same.
My new cam came with a genuine battery obviously which, so far, seems no better than the Celleron I also have. However, my original post was just about Panasonic batteries and the unknown difference between those on my previous cam and the new type. The only difference seems to be the code number and Panasonic will not say otherwise. It seems to be a clear wish to sell new batteries with every new camera for no apparent reason other than fleecing their customers, hence my attempt to get them to prove otherwise. I only asked what was the difference, not for the design parameters.
Syd Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 05:42 PM   #7

Let us know what you find.

Andrew
Old March 4th, 2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I was at a training session once and the trainer told us accessories provide more margin than the main products. Everyone is so internet savvy now that they struggle to make margin on the main items but batteries , bags and leads are all big mark up items so flog four batteries and they’re laughing. My MacBook tells me I need a new battery and the cost is crazy. It lasts as long as it did when new. It’s a marketing ploy.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders