my Panasonic HC-X1500 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old August 13th, 2023, 04:07 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: my Panasonic HC-X1500

On my recent trip to Iceland what I wanted to video were puffins out to sea catching sand eels. everyone in the tour group missed the chance so i showed what Ii had videoed and they were amazed. some even said they were going to get a camcorder like mined and took down make and model.

these in the video below some members never even saw them they were so far away

as seen at 0.25 in video and 0.42 when looking for them

found same and videoed with Panasonic HC-X1500 handheld

Barry Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2023, 04:16 AM   #17
Regular Crew

On my recent trip to Iceland what I wanted to video were puffins out to sea catching sand eels. everyone in the tour group missed the chance so i showed what Ii had videoed and they were amazed. some even said they were going to get a camcorder like mined and took down make and model.

these in the video below some members never even saw them they were so far away

as seen at 0.25 in video and 0.42 when looking for them

Old August 13th, 2023, 05:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lloyd View Post
thank you. I did wonder about the 300 card if it would work but as the manual says 200 is the max that is what I would have gone for as the 170 looks as if it is being phased out
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-II which has a max readspeed of 300MB/s and max writespeed of 260MB/s is a faster card but your camera doesn't require that to record it highest bitrate codec. Here is also a good article explaining all the differences: https://shuttermuse.com/understandin...peeds-symbols/

The bitrate from your camera codec is not the same as the bitrate mentioned on your sd cards, here is a video that explains it well, most important are the minimum sequential write speeds the cards can sustain at all times which can also be found back in the v30, v60 or v90 symbols which respectively translate to 30, 60 and 90 MB/sec:
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2023, 05:58 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
A tripod can do wonders ;) I have a 43 inch 4K editing screen and while watching your video in 4K I noticed the image was a bit noisy and not that sharp, as if a digital zoom was used. You are stressing the codec a lot with those ocean waves while also moving the camera and that can cause a codec to break if your bitrate is not high enough.
Old August 13th, 2023, 06:57 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have 3 tripods but pointless taking them on a cruise which allows only a short stop at each port. It is easy to sit back at home and point out errors on unedited videos, what I will say I was damn lucky to get any video at all considering distance -wave movement-and handheld with wind blowing and time allowed to get anything at all. Anything blown up out of proportion will show up especially on such a large screen. I would suggest you try following small seabirds bobbing around on waves first under those conditions.
I was the only one to get any shots of the puffins out of 20 in the party which to me says a lot.

Like anything your have to be there at the same time and try the same thing before criticising others work. I prefer to show "as is" not altered and fiddled with which is not a true representation

you talk about SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-II and similar. Unfortunately being an old age pensioner on a fixed income spending out £130 just for one card let alone £260 for 2 is well out of the question for the use they will get. Strange as it may seem I happen to know what I want or need or can afford.

Last edited by Barry Lloyd; August 13th, 2023 at 07:30 AM.
Old August 13th, 2023, 07:27 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I always bring a small travel tripod with me on holiday, but ofcourse that won't help much if you zoom in a lot as they don't allow smooth pan or tilt and your shots will still look shaky on a windy day with long zoom lenses. But they make a big difference with lenses up to 85mm (on a full frame).

If I need to zoom in further I never shoot handheld but use a suitable tripod which is why I never use big zooms on holiday, the tripod would be too heavy to drag around. I get it why you prefer to shoot handheld in such situations but the result just doesn't look good to me, the puffin is all over the place in that zoomed in shot and that makes it hard to watch.
Old August 13th, 2023, 07:37 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
you talk about SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-II and similar. Unfortunately being an old age pensioner on a fixed income spending out £130 just for one card let alone £260 for 2 is well out of the question for the use they will get.
I never suggested you had to buy those expensive 300MB/s cards, I actually told you your current cards are just fine and they are cheap as chips.
Old August 13th, 2023, 08:00 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
It is easy to sit back at home and point out errors on unedited videos
It looks like is also difficult to accept constructive criticism, you are after all posting on a videoforum that has experienced videographers so you can expect some remarks. I didn't mean to offend you in any way but just pointing out the obvious. I also could have criticized those sometimes badly overexposed shots in your South Korea video but since the topic of discussion was audio for that one (which was good for onboard sound) I didn't find it appropriate to point that out.

Just with your last video where you where showcasing the zoom I was just not equally impressed as people from your tourgroup but that is most likely because they are not experienced videographers so over here you'll get a totally different response.

I personally would never mind if someone commented on one of my own videos, good or bad, even if I didn't ask for it, in the end it's me who decides what feedback I will take serious and the rest I will just ignore, often I will learn something new and that eventually makes me a better videographer :)
Old August 13th, 2023, 08:21 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
thank you. I did wonder about the 300 card if it would work but as the manual says 200 is the max that is what I would have gone for as the 170 looks as if it is being phased out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Lloyd
Strange as it may seem I happen to know what I want or need or can afford.
Again, I was just trying to help you out by showing that video and link as I was under the impression that you did not understand the numbers on the card based on your comments. Those Sandisk cards that state 200MB/s on the card (which are a replacement of those with 170MB/s on the card) cost basically the same and they perform the same, only transfer to the pc is a bit faster and they are perfect for your camera and very cheap. The Sandisk card with 300MB/s printed on it is faster in both read and write speed which is why it's more expensive but overkill for what you need.
Old August 13th, 2023, 05:47 PM   #25
Regular Crew

One thing I come across often, not only on the internet, but in real life or with photographic clubs is the attitude some have is "mine is better than yours" or " I can do it better".

What gets overlooked is what is taken either as a still or as a video is the person who took either or both is happy with the result, if others like it then treat it as a bonus.. It doesn't matter in the slightest to most if it is technically correct or not. If they or like myself are prepared to put it in the public domain should be appreciated for doing so not have it picked over by anyone else even if they can do better or not.

If I thought I needed help in any way I would be the first to ask, but as I am not out to make prize winning videos it doesn't matter to me how they appear. At nearly 80 years old I can't be worried about others opinions too much, I just want to enjoy the time left to me and do what makes me happy
Old August 14th, 2023, 01:40 AM   #26
Inner Circle

In a forum people have the option to react, even if you didn't ask for it, and as long as it's done in a respectful way then it is your right to either learn from or ignore it. If you however post videos in a videoforum only expecting to be praised for it, no matter how bad it might look, then you are better off posting on youtube only and delete all reactions you don't like, especially since you seem so sensitive to what you consider negative feedback (which it wasn't).

My feedback on your SD cards you also considered unnecessary because "you happen to know what you want or need or can afford" yet your comments about the matter show a clear lack of understanding, I tried to be subtle about it hoping to help you out but you made it clear you don't like to be suggested by others what to do and you are not willing to learn from it.

But don't let this discourage you from posting videos or be happy with what you do because in the end, that is all that matters.
Old August 15th, 2023, 06:26 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I agree with Nao. If you just want to show your videos post on YouTube. Posting on a video forum will result in a critique since the people who come to these forums are interested in camera performance, settings, comparisons, shooting situation etc. Their interest is in the camera not the content most of the time. So when they see a video they look at camera performance, composition, exposure, is the image stable, timing of edit, sound quality etc .

Just for your information I will be 82 in a few months so understand you position. I shoot with GH6, GH5S and AX100 for client projects. However for family stuff I shoot with a camcorder the AX53. Much lower technical performance than the other cameras but small, easy to hold and shoot with, excellent stabilizer and forgiving for focus as the sensor is smaller so larger depth of field.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2023, 08:44 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
If you just want to show your videos post on YouTube
You can ofcourse always just show your videos here: https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/
Old August 20th, 2023, 03:57 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Update on memory cards re mb/s speed

I ordered a replacement 170 sandisk card from a well known high street store on line. the sent a 200 card instead so got a refund as they wanted £35 for it. Wex which is a well known camera store wanted £53 for the same 200 card. So searched again and CCL computers had them at £25 ,so at that price I bought two.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 04:23 PM   #30
Regular Crew

update
Now winter is here I thought abot doing some indoor shoots with the rig setup more or less like this

the sirus-200 extn bar does extend by about 5" and I also have on order some 3pole 2.5mm 7 inch cables. these will repace to curled one in the photo from remote switch to remote port on the camcorder.

maybe something like this (unedited) just room light used

best way to start off a new year

trouble is it didn't last long but it tasted real good
Barry Lloyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders