Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 announced with 4K recording - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old August 27th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #151
Trustee

Re: Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 announced with 4K recording

Ron, I think there is no hybrid (5-axis) stabilization, but I do believe there is some form of OIS that kicks in at 4K.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #152
Major Player

Now had my FZ1000 a week or so. "Intelligent Zoom" a 2x ETC for those familiar with the GH2/3/4 in video mode works well in 4K. Best on a tripod with the near 1200mm full 35mm equivalent max zoom.

Poor though in "High Speed Video" (a/k/a slow motion) mode where also no image stabilisation.

Controls are fiddly eg the same dial for controlling aperture and shutter speeds (shutter speed control a bit academic in video where in "High Speed Video" in 1080p the cam defaults to 1/100th and stays there.)

Peaking is good, though, and similar to that with the GH4, seems better when not in 4K mode.

My Carryspeed VF4 loupe fits, hooray!

The manual a disgrace even by the standards of Pansonic's GH3 and GH4 manuals. Still and video procedures all mixed together. No alpahabetical index. Bloody awful!

Ron

ps I do mainly wildlife/bird video so have an interest in the longer zoom ranges as well as manual controls
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #153
Major Player

Well pleased with this little'ish camera. So portable even when compared with my GH4s and their Nikkor lenses.

No live view on my Swit HDMI monitor while actually recording. I use the Carryspeed VF4 Loupe instead which just about possible to use with both eyes.

Here's a few 4K clips cobbled together via Mpeg Streamclip. External mike, Shure VP83F.

Ron
Old October 14th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #154
Regular Crew

Here's my nature video along with some side by side comparison with the GH 2. I was basically trying to decide if 1) the FZ1000 was better than the GH 2 and if 2) is it worthwhile getting the GH 4 so I can still use my two lenses for which I had shelled out some $1300.....

The conclusion? Sell my lenses and buy a second FZ1000!

After a month, I really do love the FZ1000. I'm a videoguy and the GH 2 was my first DSLR. I loved the video and photo quality, but it was such a pain in the ass to have to carry two lenses and, on a few occasions, missing my shot because I had to switch from the wide angle to telephoto lens. With the FZ1000 I now enjoy both videotaping and photography again. For my purposes it's the most affordable, near-perfect camera to bridge the photography and video world. Definitely the perfect hiking-camping-travelling camera for me.

Aldo Erdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #155
Major Player

Well I have just bought this camera and the picture quality is fantastic, I also have the Nikon 7100 with the dx18-140 lens and I can't get the sharpness on wide shots that I can with lumix, As its labelled as a consumer camera the video from this camera will beat a lot of so called pro camera's
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:45 AM   #156
Major Player

Is it really only 37mm with 4k video? :(
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #157
Regular Crew

Well it's similar to using the 20 mm f1.7 lens on my GH2. So, yeah, for the 35mm equivalent that works out to about 40 mm.......ah, I can live with it, given the 4k video quality.
Aldo Erdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #158
Major Player

Another few clips cobbled together via MPEG Streamclip. I was using a lightweight Weifang "fluid" head on a Gitzo GT2941 LVL video tripod but I ought to have used my heavier outfit which I used with my GH4s and long lenses.

FX1000 compared well with the GH4s with the exception of "slow motion" and the inability to use a monitor in "live view".

Ron

Old November 6th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #159
Major Player

Great stuff Ronald, Just wondered if anybody with this unit noticed the noise that comes from the camera if you put your ear next to the camera there's a lot of noise you can hear it and its also picked up on the internal mic,

Have I got a faulty unit?
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #160
Major Player

I've not noticed noise Ian but my hearing's not 100%. I'll check next time I use the cam. I was using my Shure external mike in Brazil but the lack there of the kind of background noise I get at home, traffic, planes, wind, people, meant I stopped using it and relied on the internal mike.

"Ambience" stuff mind. If I'd been after specific bird song I'd have probably used the Shure.

Ron
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #161
Major Player

So, i'm going to see a NASA launch next week, and im tempted to just pick up one of these for its range and 4K.

Have any other issues/thoughts come up about this camera in general?

And how is it that i didn't even see that there was a 24p 4k firmware update??

cheers
Old November 20th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #162
Trustee

Dumb question deleted ;)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:37 AM   #163
Major Player

Looks like folks have mostly lost interest in this cam. I went ahead and grabbed one on a deal, and will be taking it for a spin the next few days.

It has a good number of image controls from the GH4, and while i could dial in what i did for the GH4, i don't have quite the time i'd prefer to test it out, so if anyone has some settings to share/experiences, they would be much appreciated!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:41 AM   #164
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
Looks like folks have mostly lost interest in this cam. I went ahead and grabbed one on a deal, and will be taking it for a spin the next few days.

It has a good number of image controls from the GH4, and while i could dial in what i did for the GH4, i don't have quite the time i'd prefer to test it out, so if anyone has some settings to share/experiences, they would be much appreciated!
Not lost interest, but looks like the discussion has moved to the Panasonic Lumix still camera section: Panasonic LUMIX GF / GH / LX Series Forum at DV Info Net

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series