DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-lx-fz-zs-series/)
-   -   Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-lx-fz-zs-series/528719-anyone-using-fz1000-weddings.html)

Kyle Root June 10th, 2015 11:53 AM

Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings?

Looks like one of Sony's new announcements may be trying to compete with the Panasonic FZ1000 on some level.

But, I just checked Adorama and the Panasonic is going for $797 + a $100 gift card, making it $697 for a 4K camera with a 25-400mm F2.8-F4 lens... that is very tempting.

I'd like to hear from users of this Panasonic Model from a wedding perspective if there are any.

Roger Gunkel June 10th, 2015 12:12 PM

Re: Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings?

Just about to order an FZ1000 after debating and researching for months. The U.K. price has now started to come down and I can use it for both stills and video.

I can't give you any user experience, but I have been using an FZ200 for about 12 months as a second camera and have found it very easy to use with great manual overrides. The video quality has also been very useable and the zoom lens brilliant. The FZ1000 should be better in every respect apart from the smaller zoom and missing the 2.8 aperture across the full zoom range. I expect the 1" sensor to make a big difference in light gathering, and image definition. The image stabilisation is very good on the FZ200 and I believe is carried across to the FZ1000, although there is no stabilisation if you are working in 4K.

My whole approach to weddings is small and flexible, so for me, the FZ1000 looks like a good buy.

Roger

Colin Rowe June 10th, 2015 01:27 PM

Hi Kyle and Roger.
I have been using my FZ1000 on weddings since last September. Superb camera, terrific lens, and amazing IQ. Im out of wedding production now, but the FZ1000 is equally at home working on my new venture. A great all rounder. You wont be dissapointed

Paul Mailath June 10th, 2015 06:00 PM

I've got 2 now, terrific backup cameras - I can shoot the prep entirely with these and for the ceremony I use the GH4's on tripod with the FZ1000 hand held - love them!

In the reception I can use them up to a point, while there's light, they're fine but that's earlier in the night or those few venues that have good light.

Chris Harding June 10th, 2015 07:59 PM

For the price I have also been sorely tempted !! A 4K camera with a F2.8 zoom ...Sheesh do you need anything else?? I guess the PAL units still have the 29 minute limit??? My ONLY issue is audio 'SIGH'

Could one get a decent audio track using the camera audio electronics ..I'm not a fan of DVR's at all!!

However still looking as my big Sony's are getting a bit heavy for my weary body!! Maybe it's time for a change ??

Chris Harding June 11th, 2015 06:17 AM

I had a look at low light tests on YouTube and most are comparing the FX1000 with either the GH3 or GH4 ... wow it certainly is good for a point and shoot camera! The image at ISO6400 is pretty useable and my EA-50's already have noise at 3200 .. I would not dare use them at ISO6400!!!

I can honestly say with similar lens aperture (let's say wide at F2.8) this camera which costs 25% of what I paid for my EA-50 out performs it by far in low light !!

Roger Gunkel June 11th, 2015 06:48 AM

Chris I have found with the FZ200 that the onboard mic picks up a lot of camera noise and is not great, but I have added an external stereo mic from and old Panasonic analogue camera that I scrapped. I goes into a mic clip that slides into the hot shoe and I have a fluffy windshield on it. It has transformed the audio and I assume would be the same on the FZ1000. A simple extension lead also means that I can mount the mic closer to the sound source if I want.

Roger

Chris Harding June 11th, 2015 06:59 AM

Thanks Roger

Something like a Rode VM Pro would also work as the camera has a 3.5mm jack input ... cripes, if you wanted to get fancy you could even add a Beachtek XLR box and use twin XLR's .... Sometime I struggle with the footage from my $4000 EA-50's and the safety footage from my little SJ4000 action cam looks sharper and better and that only cost me $100!!

I wonder if the FZ would work for weddings as a main camera?? The record limit is 30 minutes right?? I stop and start the Sony during long ceremonies anyway for ease of editing. On the YT tests the image from the FZ1000 at ISO 6400 is far better than my Sony at a mere 3200ISO

I'm tempted to drop the Sony's and just use 2 x FZ1000's and my SJ4000 .... am I being stupid???

Chris

Kyle Root June 11th, 2015 08:02 AM

yes 30 minute record limit... which is a problem since I like to start my unmanned cams rolling 10-15 minutes prior to ceremony start time.

But, these supposedly have very good Wi-Fi remote control, so I think theoretically, you could log into each one from your phone and re-start video recording remotely.

I'm also looking to down-size and lighten up, which is why all these new cameras are very exciting to me.

It does seem that Panasonic has the best Wi-Fi implementation to date based on what I've heard from GH4 users. and I'd expect the FZ1000 to be about the same.

Chris Harding June 11th, 2015 08:32 AM

Hi Kyle

What I normally do is go out and film the bride arriving in the limo and then while she is composing herself I go to my other camera, turn it on and hit record as the entry song starts. I can then let it roll while I use the second cam to film the aisle shots. Our civil ceremonies barely exceed 20 minutes and with the longer Church ceremonies I usually do a "restart" after each service event anyway so with long ones my clips seldom exceed 15 minutes.

Am I right in assuming that with time limited cameras all you need to do is push the record button to stop and push it again to record again and the 30 minute limit will be reset?? I use that technique on my Sony's during speeches anyway so if there are 4 speeches I get 4 clips ...easier for editing the way I compile it anyway. I cannot also see any reason why one couldn't rehash wireless receiver cables as two into one so one records to left and one to right ... if not a simple twin XLR to stereo box is really simple to build for any camcorder that has a stereo 3.5mm jack input.

Do a YouTube search for "FZ1000 low light" It's not that far behind the GH4 in performance and sometimes looks better than a GH3 ... obviously the GH4 with a lens faster than F2.8 will kill it!!!

Chris

Roger Gunkel June 11th, 2015 10:58 AM

Hi Chris,

Certainly on the FZ200 you can stop and start and it will reset to 29mins, so the FS1000 should be the same.,and of course as Kyle said you can use the wifi control.

Roger

Colin Rowe June 11th, 2015 03:59 PM

It does reset to 29 minutes. An easy way around the limit is to stop just after the first verse of the hymns. Its something I have always done with video cameras as well. I always asked the couple beforehand, never had a problem with any of them. The FZ1000 is more than capable of being used as A cam at weddings

Chris Harding June 11th, 2015 05:50 PM

Thanks Guys

We for some reason never have hymns here!! so I do a stop/start usually after the readings/homily (for Catholic) and before the vows start. Plenty of time during those periods?

The input is much appreciated. I have also just noticed that the 10000 has a 100fps slomo mode. That's also a big asset as I always do a stedicam shoot with the couple and usually slow it on the timeline.

Since we are in our Winter lull period it might be a good time to start looking at a changeover! It's cold and wet here so no more weddings until the first week in August

Chris

Colin Rowe June 12th, 2015 02:25 PM

4K frame grab from FZ1000, Got loads more

Colin Rowe June 12th, 2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1889243)
4K frame grab from FZ1000, Got loads more

sorry about that, seems I cant attatch images. I will try to fathom it out

Chris Harding June 12th, 2015 07:43 PM

Thanks Colin

I saw a few on a FZ1000 review and it does an 8mp frame grab which is pretty impressive! That would be a killer feature if the photog missed a shot and could give the bride a nice still!!

Based on the big price gap going the next step upwards and getting a GH4 with a pile of fast lenses for low light wedding receptions doesn't seem to be worth the massive price difference. I think in the rare weddings where everything is lit with tea light candles a video light will work OK . If I use one for an A-Cam at Church weddings I just may drop one camera into a simple aluminium frame on a tripod so I can add an XLR to stereo adapter and two receivers ...I have to discard both my Azden wireless kits before the next season anyway as their frequencies are illegal ..probably two AudioTechnica system 10's will suffice so I would still need somewhere to mount two receivers for the 2.4GHz receivers

Chris

Chris Harding June 12th, 2015 09:05 PM

Sorry one quick question? Can one use the FZ1000 in normal focus not continuous as a main camera locked on the bride and groom as a fairly tight shot and then do a half shutter button press to focus and prevent AF hunting as the couple are not going to move anywhere???

I know my GH1 used to do this nicely ..if the couple move you just repeat the procedure .. like to refocus when the priest moves over to the lectern to do a reading??

Kyle Root June 13th, 2015 10:56 AM

I was looking at the FZ1000 manual and does not indicate there is a time limit on the recording... which is interesting because the BH website indicates the 29 minutes.

The LX100 which is basically the same price in a soap bar style, actually has no recording limit on 1080p.

Roger Gunkel June 13th, 2015 11:32 AM

Hi Kyle,

Page 33 of the manual shows the time limitations for different file types and there is a limit of 29mins 58secs for HD files and 4K MP4. 4k records for 29m 58s but plays back in 4gb sections.

Roger

Chris Harding June 13th, 2015 07:29 PM

Quite correct and bear in mind that your slo mo mode, because it is running at 100 or 120 fps has a time limit of a little over 7 minutes before it hits the 4GB limit not 29 minutes but you still end up with 29 minutes on a 25P timeline.

I assumed that the timelimit was only on PAL cameras?? something to do with import duty???

Kyle Root June 13th, 2015 08:22 PM

This is very interesting... page 33 of the US(?) manual has nothing about recording time limits. It talks about how to shoot in Manual mode and confirm aperture.

Page 23 shows all the movie sizes and formats and some nice tables... but no mention of any limits either.

Additionally, when I got to Panasonic USA, their own spec sheet says the FZ1000 can do 130 min of continuous recording, with no indication of a 29 minute restart.

Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 - LUMIX FZ1000 4K QFHD/HD 16X Long Zoom Digital Camera

Chris Harding June 13th, 2015 09:27 PM

Hi Kyle

On Page 33 of my advanced manual is gives the total time you can record on various size cards but under the table are some notes one which says " Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4 GB"

It's no big deal for me as I normally limit my record times to under 20 mins anyway so I don't have huge files to try and slice up on the timeline.

I could maybe see an issue if we had a wedding where the father of the bride decided to talk for more than 30 minutes (I had one father who recounted every year of his daughter's life and she was 33!! that was my record at a total of 37 mins) Surely there must be an instant over such a long recording where the person has to stop to sip a glass of water and you can hit stop/start while he is doing that??

Chris

Noa Put June 14th, 2015 02:33 AM

Quote:

It's no big deal for me as I normally limit my record times to under 20 mins anyway so I don't have huge files to try and slice up on the timeline.
So everyone is screaming for dslr's with no 30 minute recording limit and you deliberately start/stop recording every 20 minutes on a camera that does not have that limit to save up on size/file? :)

Why would you do that? It's so much easier having just one file with a continuous recording to match up with one audio file, while on a dslr a ceremony will consist out of 3 separate files with some lost seconds between each start/stop operation, this means much more work during the ceremony because you have to manually reset 2 camera's 6 times and during the edit you have to sync 6 times as well with separate audio recorders, unless you use a plugin to do the syncing for you, providing it works like it should.

Quote:

Based on the big price gap going the next step upwards and getting a GH4 with a pile of fast lenses for low light wedding receptions doesn't seem to be worth the massive price difference. I think in the rare weddings where everything is lit with tea light candles a video light will work OK
The fz1000 has a f2.8 lens that ramps to f4.0 when zoomed in, the light gathering difference between this camera and a gh4 with a f1.4 lens will be much more massive then the pricedifference. I would consider f2.8 allready to slow for most of the venues I shoot in and f4.0 unusable on my camera, that might work on a sony a7s but won't fly on a Panasonic camera, you definitely need something faster then f2.8 if you don't plan to annoy the guests with a videolight.

I think that fz1000 is a great camera as long as there is sufficient light.

Steve Bleasdale June 14th, 2015 03:13 AM

Just looking at this camera and for me the problem is taking the manfrotto plate of every time you need to put in a new battery, is this correct because that's a nightmare for me. Also you cant use 4k without a tripod as it cuts of the stabilizer? I work alwasy at 2.8 so going to f4 on the zoom would counteract my wedding film look. Tell me i am wrong. Steve

Noa Put June 14th, 2015 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1889102)
Do a YouTube search for "FZ1000 low light" It's not that far behind the GH4 in performance and sometimes looks better than a GH3 ... obviously the GH4 with a lens faster than F2.8 will kill it!!!

Don't know which test you saw but below video is pretty clear, the fz1000 falls apart at iso 6400 while the gh4 doesn't (test starts at 02:11), take the extra advantage of shooting with faster primes into account and the difference between both camera's in low light will be very obvious at any focal length.

Noa Put June 14th, 2015 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1889348)
I work alwasy at 2.8 so going to f4 on the zoom would counteract my wedding film look. Tell me i am wrong. Steve

If you mean the lack of shallow dof then yes, at f4.0 there is not that much shallow dof with a 1 inch sensor, unless you zoom in completely and are close enough to your subject.

Chris Harding June 14th, 2015 05:06 AM

Hi Noa

I was looking at the FZ1000 against the GH3 not the GH4 which is a LOT more money ..The GH4 body only down here is already $1800 before any lenses so the price difference is substantial. On the test I saw the GH3 definitely had the edge (and so it should) but the image quality at ISO6400 on both were both quite usable.

I use wireless audio so I can stop the video anytime and restart and I won't have sync issues at all. I have always shot weddings this way and prefer editing event clips rather than one massive movie. However I do see the point about sync if you have continuous running DVR's scattered around the Church and then stop and start the video.

Yeah the SD and battery flap is just plain stupid! My GH1 was like that so a big QR plate blocks the battery flap from opening ...I assume the GH4 solved that design problem???

Yep I don't think this is the camera for those looking for the wedding film look with crazy shallow DOF ..If you want that then the GH4 and some fast lenses is the answer not a bridge camera ...I use F2.8 constant lenses on my EA-50's at ceremonies and the DOF is certainly not shallow at all!!

Noa Put June 14th, 2015 05:27 AM

Just saying, I think you might be disappointed with the fz1000 because it will not be that much better then your ea50 and the stocklens when it comes to low light sensitivity considering 6400 iso doesn't seem usable, there will be much more detail but you probably will be battling more noise issues then you wish for.

Also the nex-ea50 has much more shallow dof, even with the slow stocklens then a 1 inch sensor camera has, not that this has to be a disadvantage but if that is an effect you are after then you need to get a larger sensor camera.

Chris Harding June 14th, 2015 06:47 AM

Hi Noa

I quite understand but remember a GH4, 14-140 F3.5 and 12-35 F2.8 lens here would set me back over $4000 whilst the FZ1000 is a mere $900 ..that's a HUGE price difference so I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near the GH4 is performance at a quarter of the price so comparing the two is silly! However for the money it still seems pretty darn good ... 2 x GH4's with a batch of lenses would be awesome but I don't really want to spend maybe $9K or even more with the XLR cradle to achieve that at this stage.

On the video only side (we do both video, photography and photobooths) we probably make around $30K a year tops with more than double than that made on the stills side so it makes sense not to invest too much on the video gear but can channel more into still camera gear.

Chris

Roger Gunkel June 14th, 2015 12:38 PM

It's back to the debate about quality against requirement. If you are after the best possible technical quality then you need to spend lots of money. If like me and probably Chris, it's balancing the capital outlay against your expected return and getting the best bang for your bucks. In parallel with that, and particularly for my weddings, its being able to work quickly and efficiently without losing shots while fiddling around changing lenses or cameras, or humping shed loads of equipment around.

For me, the new zoom lens bridge cameras together with a small videocam, are able to fulfil my needs in most circumstances, particularly now that sensors are getting bigger. Where the camera on its own is not quite enough on the odd occasion, then a simple led light usually solves the problem without troubling the clients.

It is easy to read these forums and be impressed by some of the cameras, lenses and equipment that many wedding shooters use. Sometimes I think that perhaps I should be investing far more in equipment to keep up with what others here use. But then I think 'hang on a minute' I have never had a negative comment about the quality of my videos from any client and I am constantly improving and refining my equipment and techniques. On top of that, quite a few here use the cameras for serious commercial work and others are coming from a photographic background and see equipment from a different viewpoint. If my client is happy, I am happy.

I am also not looking to expand my business into higher earning more upmarket work, so I don't need to plan for work that I don't have and don't intend marketing for.

Roger

Noa Put June 14th, 2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

the FZ1000 is a mere $900
I"m not saying you must get a gh4 or that the fz1000 would be the "wrong" camera to shoot weddings with, certainly not pricewise but would you be OK with the nex-ea50 shooting with the stocklens all day long? Because that is what you more or less are getting with the fz1000, if that is ok for you then it's not a problem but I do recall you saying you needed the fast sigma f1.8 to even be able to cope with the darker receptions, don't expect the fz1000 to be much better or equally good and I"m sure that under the same circumstances where your f1.8 sigma is just able to handle it the fz1000 will be unusable. And adding a led light onto your camera will only help for anything you shoot up close and those people will be blinded, for anything far away you need a strong enough light and you kill the mood. But if that all works for you then you can save some money, thats for sure.
My experience is that f2.8 is just too slow for most venues if you are not able to go past 12800 iso to compensate.

Chris Harding June 14th, 2015 07:19 PM

I think what Roger said in the previous post must also be taken into account. New technology and noise reduction has enabled us to use cheaper cameras for weddings and will the FZ1000 do the job? Well the older and less sophisticated FZ200 that Roger is using does a pretty good job (he tossed in a few frame grabs on the Sony NEX forum for me) and his brides are pretty happy. My previous cameras to the EA-50's were Panasonic HMC82's with tiny 1/4" sensors and brides still didn't complain about their videos so I think it's purely a matter of choice and budget. An FZ200 will do the job ...two Canon 1D 4's will also do the job a bit better but do you really need to spend $20K on cameras when a more practical amount will suffice.

My current EA-50's do a good job and yes they LOOK impressive to commercial clients too but plenty other cameras will do the same job and achieve the same results.

Roger has ordered an FZ1000 already so let's see the results direct from him after he shoots a wedding or two

Colin Rowe June 16th, 2015 01:34 PM

I have been amazed that the FZ1000 has not been the subject of more discussion on the forum. I used mine on weddings for 9 months, it always perfomed admirably, delivering stunning footage time after time. Without having to lug about half a dozen lenses. This camera is most definately up to the job

Roger Gunkel June 16th, 2015 03:06 PM

That's good to hear Colin, and I do think that forums like this are fantastic for ideas and opinions, but they also emphasise that many are constantly searching for technical perfection and sometimes losing sight of the point of it all - a happy client and earning a living.

There are always going to be cameras that are better in very low light, have a shallower depth of field, deeper depth of field, greater telephoto, better slomo or pick your own preference. There is also always going to be an even better one just about to be released, at least until people start buying it and find that the audio is rubbish, it overheats, it's out of balance, you can't see the screen in sunlight, but at least there is a newer version out in two months on pre order :-)

Roger

Colin Rowe June 16th, 2015 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frame grab from FZ1000, taken at my daughters house in Wales, earlier today, cropped, but otherwise untouched. My grandaughter was moving at a fair pace

Roger Gunkel June 16th, 2015 05:07 PM

Hi Colin,

Looking at your frame grab, the action is frozen well, but the picture you have posted doesn't actually look any sharper than the ones I posted in Chris's new camera thread from my FZ200. I assume that is down to the resolution of the JPEG that you uploaded, or is it exactly as you grabbed it?

Roger

Chris Harding June 16th, 2015 06:02 PM

Hi Roger

I would say the format limits the JPEG ..of more interest is the fact that the bigger sensor and processor should be better in low light . Did you see the videos Tom posted on the Sony EA-50 forum ?? They are crisp and sharp and the 120fps slomo video is awesome!! For me that alone is worth the price!!!

Every time I talk about low light I get shouted down that a camera of this level cannot possibly be used at wedding receptions .... My SonyEA-50 's can go up to a max of 6400 ISO in 25P mode but the image is simply shocking and totally unusable ..... I thought some of the YouTube samples of video at 6400ISO from the FZ1000 were pretty good .... Maybe a request here to Colin to test the camera indoors at 6400 ISO and see if the image is usable (or even comments from either of you are good enough?)

When is your order arriving Roger??? I still think these could be quite viable to use at receptions IF the image can hold together fairly well at even 4000 ISO

Chris

Colin Rowe June 16th, 2015 06:53 PM

Can't comment on the FZ200, never used one. I do know that the frame grabs from the FZ1000 are the best I have seen from any camera that I have owned, and I have owned and used an awful lot. The pic above now sits in my daughter's cabinet, printed out on A4 glossy and it looks superb

Colin Rowe June 16th, 2015 07:07 PM

Chris. I will take some high iso shots tomorrow. I have never gone beyond 2000 before, in anger. Should be interesting

Chris Harding June 16th, 2015 07:08 PM

Hi Colin

It certainly is way, way better than most I have seen ..and it's a frame grab too!! Quite amazing!!

I still would like to see what the ISO does and where it's limit is on indoor shots. I have already decided that the video side of the camera in good light is quite stunning

Would you maybe have any reception video clips around that you could post a grab from??

Chris