Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old June 10th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings?

Looks like one of Sony's new announcements may be trying to compete with the Panasonic FZ1000 on some level.

But, I just checked Adorama and the Panasonic is going for $797 + a $100 gift card, making it $697 for a 4K camera with a 25-400mm F2.8-F4 lens... that is very tempting.

I'd like to hear from users of this Panasonic Model from a wedding perspective if there are any.
Old June 10th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings?

Just about to order an FZ1000 after debating and researching for months. The U.K. price has now started to come down and I can use it for both stills and video.

I can't give you any user experience, but I have been using an FZ200 for about 12 months as a second camera and have found it very easy to use with great manual overrides. The video quality has also been very useable and the zoom lens brilliant. The FZ1000 should be better in every respect apart from the smaller zoom and missing the 2.8 aperture across the full zoom range. I expect the 1" sensor to make a big difference in light gathering, and image definition. The image stabilisation is very good on the FZ200 and I believe is carried across to the FZ1000, although there is no stabilisation if you are working in 4K.

My whole approach to weddings is small and flexible, so for me, the FZ1000 looks like a good buy.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Kyle and Roger.
I have been using my FZ1000 on weddings since last September. Superb camera, terrific lens, and amazing IQ. Im out of wedding production now, but the FZ1000 is equally at home working on my new venture. A great all rounder. You wont be dissapointed
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Trustee

I've got 2 now, terrific backup cameras - I can shoot the prep entirely with these and for the ceremony I use the GH4's on tripod with the FZ1000 hand held - love them!

In the reception I can use them up to a point, while there's light, they're fine but that's earlier in the night or those few venues that have good light.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

For the price I have also been sorely tempted !! A 4K camera with a F2.8 zoom ...Sheesh do you need anything else?? I guess the PAL units still have the 29 minute limit??? My ONLY issue is audio 'SIGH'

Could one get a decent audio track using the camera audio electronics ..I'm not a fan of DVR's at all!!

However still looking as my big Sony's are getting a bit heavy for my weary body!! Maybe it's time for a change ??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I had a look at low light tests on YouTube and most are comparing the FX1000 with either the GH3 or GH4 ... wow it certainly is good for a point and shoot camera! The image at ISO6400 is pretty useable and my EA-50's already have noise at 3200 .. I would not dare use them at ISO6400!!!

I can honestly say with similar lens aperture (let's say wide at F2.8) this camera which costs 25% of what I paid for my EA-50 out performs it by far in low light !!
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Chris I have found with the FZ200 that the onboard mic picks up a lot of camera noise and is not great, but I have added an external stereo mic from and old Panasonic analogue camera that I scrapped. I goes into a mic clip that slides into the hot shoe and I have a fluffy windshield on it. It has transformed the audio and I assume would be the same on the FZ1000. A simple extension lead also means that I can mount the mic closer to the sound source if I want.

Roger
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Roger

Something like a Rode VM Pro would also work as the camera has a 3.5mm jack input ... cripes, if you wanted to get fancy you could even add a Beachtek XLR box and use twin XLR's .... Sometime I struggle with the footage from my $4000 EA-50's and the safety footage from my little SJ4000 action cam looks sharper and better and that only cost me $100!!

I wonder if the FZ would work for weddings as a main camera?? The record limit is 30 minutes right?? I stop and start the Sony during long ceremonies anyway for ease of editing. On the YT tests the image from the FZ1000 at ISO 6400 is far better than my Sony at a mere 3200ISO

I'm tempted to drop the Sony's and just use 2 x FZ1000's and my SJ4000 .... am I being stupid???

Chris
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Major Player

yes 30 minute record limit... which is a problem since I like to start my unmanned cams rolling 10-15 minutes prior to ceremony start time.

But, these supposedly have very good Wi-Fi remote control, so I think theoretically, you could log into each one from your phone and re-start video recording remotely.

I'm also looking to down-size and lighten up, which is why all these new cameras are very exciting to me.

It does seem that Panasonic has the best Wi-Fi implementation to date based on what I've heard from GH4 users. and I'd expect the FZ1000 to be about the same.
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Kyle

What I normally do is go out and film the bride arriving in the limo and then while she is composing herself I go to my other camera, turn it on and hit record as the entry song starts. I can then let it roll while I use the second cam to film the aisle shots. Our civil ceremonies barely exceed 20 minutes and with the longer Church ceremonies I usually do a "restart" after each service event anyway so with long ones my clips seldom exceed 15 minutes.

Am I right in assuming that with time limited cameras all you need to do is push the record button to stop and push it again to record again and the 30 minute limit will be reset?? I use that technique on my Sony's during speeches anyway so if there are 4 speeches I get 4 clips ...easier for editing the way I compile it anyway. I cannot also see any reason why one couldn't rehash wireless receiver cables as two into one so one records to left and one to right ... if not a simple twin XLR to stereo box is really simple to build for any camcorder that has a stereo 3.5mm jack input.

Do a YouTube search for "FZ1000 low light" It's not that far behind the GH4 in performance and sometimes looks better than a GH3 ... obviously the GH4 with a lens faster than F2.8 will kill it!!!

Chris
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

Certainly on the FZ200 you can stop and start and it will reset to 29mins, so the FS1000 should be the same.,and of course as Kyle said you can use the wifi control.

Roger
Old June 11th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #12
Major Player

It does reset to 29 minutes. An easy way around the limit is to stop just after the first verse of the hymns. Its something I have always done with video cameras as well. I always asked the couple beforehand, never had a problem with any of them. The FZ1000 is more than capable of being used as A cam at weddings
Old June 11th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

We for some reason never have hymns here!! so I do a stop/start usually after the readings/homily (for Catholic) and before the vows start. Plenty of time during those periods?

The input is much appreciated. I have also just noticed that the 10000 has a 100fps slomo mode. That's also a big asset as I always do a stedicam shoot with the couple and usually slow it on the timeline.

Since we are in our Winter lull period it might be a good time to start looking at a changeover! It's cold and wet here so no more weddings until the first week in August

Chris
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #14
Major Player

4K frame grab from FZ1000, Got loads more
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
4K frame grab from FZ1000, Got loads more
sorry about that, seems I cant attatch images. I will try to fathom it out

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series