DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Here it is the new Panasonic GH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/145004-here-new-panasonic-gh1.html)

Jose A. Garcia March 4th, 2009 07:08 PM

For me the most important point is FullHD 24fps and shallow DOF. I've seen DOF tests from 1" sensors and they were more than ok to me. This sensor is even larger so if you put together everything:

- Sensor size a little smaller than a s35mm negative.
- FullHD recording.
- 24P.
- Full manual controls.

You have the closest to a really low cost digital cinema camera so far. That is hoping it's price is somewhere between a Nikon D90 and a Canon 5DMKII or (we can dream) even less.

Of course we'll have to see the rolling shutter in motion, it'll probably use the row skipping thing, so we can expect some artifacts and aliased borders and we still don't know if the compression will be too noticeable.

But this is looking really good...

Heath McKnight March 4th, 2009 08:11 PM

Weren't there a lot of problems with the video from these cameras when you started panning? I thought Jannard from RED posted video from one that wobbled.

heath

Paulo Teixeira March 4th, 2009 10:39 PM

Here’s are a couple of videos of it:
YouTube - PMA 2009: Panasonic Lumix GH1
YouTube - PMA: Hands-on with the Panasonic Lumix GH1

Robert Rogoz March 4th, 2009 11:15 PM

Here is a couple of things to consider. The lens looks to be dark- F4-5.6. There is a wide (14-28mm), but also quite dark. So I don't know about the sharpness of the picture over all. Most of good lenses would have 2.8 or 1.8 aperture, 4 or 5.6 are just amateur grade only.
BTW- what would be an image difference between motion jpeg and AVCHD? Particularly with moving objects or panning?

Paulo Teixeira March 4th, 2009 11:38 PM

Theirs also going to be a 20mm lens that’s either f1.7 or f1.4. The only problem is that it may get released around 3 months after the GH1, but then again, you can get yourself a few adapters if you want fast lenses right away.

AVCHD is significantly better than M-JPEG at the same bit rates. It just takes a bit more horsepower to edit it.

Robert Rogoz March 5th, 2009 12:10 AM

Let's say I have a nice set of Nikon lenses- what adapter would I have to use?

Dylan Couper March 5th, 2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1022568)

There may not be one yet, although if there isn't it probably won't take long. I believe there is a significant magnification factor when using full frame lenses. Anyone know offhand what it is? 2x?

Jon Fairhurst March 5th, 2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1022582)
Anyone know offhand what it is? 2x?

Yes. Exactly 2x.

There's an advantage to using a less than FF35 sensor. You can crank your FF35 lenses open all the way, and not suffer any light falloff or softness in the corners, because they get cropped.

If I were to get the GH1, I'd probably get all 35mm glass, plus one MFT 12mm prime to cover the wide end of things.

Paulo Teixeira March 5th, 2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1022568)

Here’s some of them:
Panasonic Lumix G1 Lens Adapters

John Wyatt March 5th, 2009 04:50 AM

I'm also interested in the downscale method/quality. The integrated nature of the live view from these EVF cameras may provide a better basis for the video, compared to how live view is implemented in traditional DSLRs. Look forward to finding out what's what with this camera and the Samsung NX series later this year. Oh, that camera doesn't have an articulated LCD -- damn, there's always something...

Jose A. Garcia March 5th, 2009 04:55 AM

It seems like a huge step has been taken. The guy was quickly moving the camera while shooting and I couldn't really see any rolling shutter artifacts. At least as noticeable as in a Canon 5D or a Nikon D90.

Of course the camera used to record the clip was a bit far from the Lumix lcd and he was probably using the 720p60 mode so we'll have to wait and watch an actual video recorded at 1080p24.

Just a question. If you use EOS EF-S or Nikon DX lenses you'd get a smaller magnification factor wouldn't you?

Heath McKnight March 5th, 2009 08:07 AM

This is one of the 4/3 cameras, so I don't know if Nikon or Canon lenses (etc.) would work...

heath

Dylan Couper March 5th, 2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia (Post 1022627)
Just a question. If you use EOS EF-S or Nikon DX lenses you'd get a smaller magnification factor wouldn't you?

No, it would be the same 2x, but it would be an advantage in that they are generally wider for your dollar to help balance out the price/range.

Kurth Bousman March 5th, 2009 12:03 PM

Don't think of the 35mm equivalent focal length . For example the canon kit lens is 18-55mm. So in m4/3 terms, the 35mm equivalent would be 36-110 . Yet I haven't seen any ef-s adapters for m4/3 . There are FD adapters however . Please correct me if I'm wrong. Start looking at the forums for more sources , but here's one for adapters

japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)

they also sell a Leica M /m4/3 which , I believe allows you to use the Voigtlander lenses , which are excellent for their price .

Ian G. Thompson March 5th, 2009 03:05 PM

More lens adapters from Here.

http://http//www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm