DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Here it is the new Panasonic GH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/145004-here-new-panasonic-gh1.html)

Kurth Bousman March 3rd, 2009 12:14 PM

Here it is the new Panasonic GH1

Panasonic DMC-GH1 brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review

Harrison Murchison March 3rd, 2009 01:46 PM

Provided the price isn't ridiculous this is my next camera.

Bert Reimer March 3rd, 2009 03:07 PM

24p to 60i

"*Full-HD (1920 × 1080) movies are output by the image sensor at 24p (NTSC)/25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC)/50i (PAL). HD (1280 × 720) movies are output and recorded by the image sensor at 60p (NTSC)/50p (PAL)."(from press release)
Sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly does this mean in terms of editing?

Joey Atilano March 3rd, 2009 03:15 PM

I might be wrong but it sounds like you will have to do the lame pulldown conversion to get 24P.
BTW , Hey Bert it's Lucasberg from Vimeo.

Kurth Bousman March 3rd, 2009 07:57 PM

from the Panasonic site

**Shooting conditions: 23°C with 50% humidity; LCD on; using a Panasonic SD Memory Card (512MB); Using the supplied battery; Using the supplied lens; Starting recording 30 seconds after the camera is turned on (When the optical image stabilizer is set to [Mode1]) ; Recording once every 30 seconds with full flash every second recording; Turn the camera off every 10 recordings.The number of recordable pictures decreases in Auto Power LCD mode or Power LCD mode.CIPA is an abbreviation of “Camera & Imaging Products Association”.

Does this mean it has the same sensor overheating issue as the d90 and 5d ?

Ed David March 3rd, 2009 08:14 PM

It still looks like it will be the DSLR to beat. AVCHD is a great recording format!

Ian G. Thompson March 3rd, 2009 09:07 PM

It is the DSLR to beat. Even though it has pulldown with the 24p the videos look nice (from what I've seen so far). 17Mbps AVCHD. The 60p is real 60p. The sensor is a little bigger than the D90. You have manual control of the shutter and aperture. I like this cam.

Paulo Teixeira March 3rd, 2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman (Post 1021800)
from the Panasonic site

**Shooting conditions: 23°C with 50% humidity; LCD on; using a Panasonic SD Memory Card (512MB); Using the supplied battery; Using the supplied lens; Starting recording 30 seconds after the camera is turned on (When the optical image stabilizer is set to [Mode1]) ; Recording once every 30 seconds with full flash every second recording; Turn the camera off every 10 recordings.The number of recordable pictures decreases in Auto Power LCD mode or Power LCD mode.CIPA is an abbreviation of “Camera & Imaging Products Association”.

Does this mean it has the same sensor overheating issue as the d90 and 5d ?

Hands-on with the Lumix HD-enabled DMC-GH1 (Four Thirds User)
“Internally, the GH1 differs from the G1 in having an improved LiveMOS Four Thirds sensor. Panasonic has improved low light sensitivity to improve high ISO performance. Heat management of the sensor has been modified to enable continuous shooting, without interruption, for as long as the user needs.”

Jon Fairhurst March 4th, 2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson (Post 1021835)
It is the DSLR to beat. Even though it has pulldown with the 24p the videos look nice (from what I've seen so far). 17Mbps AVCHD. The 60p is real 60p. The sensor is a little bigger than the D90. You have manual control of the shutter and aperture. I like this cam.

The 5D MkII is still king - but at a price. The FF35 sensor and 42mbps MPEG-4 codec are sweet. Hopefully, they will give us manual control (you can work around it), and 24/25p.

BTW, the D90 has a slightly larger sensor than the GH1. APS-C sensors are about 2/3rds that of a FF35 sensor. Micro 4/3rds is half the size of FF35.

Heath McKnight March 4th, 2009 12:38 PM

I believe Panasonic is the only one releasing new DSLRs (and Olympus, I think) at PMA 2009. Nikon only intro'd a lens, same with Canon. I heard Sony wasn't as focused on their DSLRs.

heath

Steev Dinkins March 4th, 2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1022203)
The 5D MkII is still king - but at a price.

One key thing I have been thinking about though is how much I rely on flip LCDs. This panasonic has it, while the 5D and D90 do not. I'm still waiting for this game to play out. Between Red, Canon, and now Panasonic, this year is bleeding edge for purchasing. I've been preferring to rent. Now let's see some raw footage from the DMC-GH1! :)

Heath McKnight March 4th, 2009 12:59 PM

Shooting video on a DSLR seems like shooting stills on a pro video camera--adequate, but not ideal. I guess RED aims to solve that with their new systems.

heath

Jose A. Garcia March 4th, 2009 04:47 PM

Is it confirmed to shoot 1080p using the full sensor? If so, does it use the same row skipping technique used in the 5D?

Jose A. Garcia March 4th, 2009 04:55 PM

Does anyone know its price?

John Vincent March 4th, 2009 06:26 PM

What sort of shutter? Rolling or "normal?"

Def interesting... perhaps this will force Canon's hand a bit.

john