DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Here it is the new Panasonic GH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/145004-here-new-panasonic-gh1.html)

Joe Kowalski April 16th, 2009 05:27 PM

Tell us more, Phil! Make it up, if you have to.

There's been a lack of GH1 news lately, I think a few of us are dying for any crumbs of information.

Phil Bloom April 18th, 2009 07:34 AM

erm....

i have an adaptor for it for nikon lenses. bit of a magnification factor

i liked the ability to use the autofocus before recording and watching the little red crosshair move around to show you what it is focusing on...

Scott Dordick April 18th, 2009 10:07 AM

Manual controls GH1

Hi Phil,
Are the manual controls easy to access or do they require multiple button pokes and submenus? Also is the manual mode fully manual not just you pick the aperture and shutter speed and then the camera automatically adjust the gain. Thanks.

Adam Perry April 18th, 2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1107767)
erm....

i have an adaptor for it for nikon lenses. bit of a magnification factor

i liked the ability to use the autofocus before recording and watching the little red crosshair move around to show you what it is focusing on...

man phil, control your excitement about this camera! haha, im not as filled with confidence by your reaction as i was hoping. so i guess my question is, after playing with it, would you buy one personally?

Joe Kowalski April 18th, 2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1101526)
they wouldn't let me take it until they have a full production model as the lens wasn't ready. Hopefully will get that in early May...

Odd that they don't have a full production model yet... it is scheduled to be released in Japan next Friday (April 24), right?

Steev Dinkins April 20th, 2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Perry (Post 1109492)
man phil, control your excitement about this camera! haha, im not as filled with confidence by your reaction as i was hoping. so i guess my question is, after playing with it, would you buy one personally?

Agreed, this is some pretty uninspired commentary on the camera. Why not just wait until you can give it a full review, instead of little scraps that make it seem like just another cute gadget.

-steev

Stephen van Vuuren April 21st, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins (Post 1114921)
Agreed, this is some pretty uninspired commentary on the camera.

-steev

Or a harsh NDA though you would think a "I love it" would be okay, so it does sound like he did not like the camera for some reason.

Adam Perry April 21st, 2009 09:34 AM

well it apparently comes out friday in japan so maybe we'll see more soon. it does seem oddly quiet on the gh1 front. im hoping they didnt hit a snag.

M. Gene Hoffman April 22nd, 2009 11:05 AM

I just got back from NAB, where the GH1 was conspicuously absent. I asked the Panasonic reps about it and they said "Oh, it's just a consumer camera, it wouldn't be here at NAB." And nobody had footage from it to see either. We did, however, talk to someone there who said that they were just the night before talking internally about making a pro version of the GH1. We emphatically told him this was a good idea an explained why. He seemed excited and said he would pass it up the chain.

On a related note, the Canon booth DID have their DSLR's, even including the new Digital Rebel. I asked them what the heck is up with no 24p and he said essentially that they threw it in last minute, and had heard from photojournalists that 30p is what was wanted. He couldn't say whether a firmware upgrade could give it 24p or not.

I also asked what the crap is 20fps and how is that useful to anyone and he said that the model before could do 15fps, and this was more than that, so Canon figured "Good Enough!" and threw it in there.

Talk about heads in the sand.

Phil Bloom April 22nd, 2009 11:13 AM

The GH1 is only there in prototype form with a couple of people. It's not in a form show-able yet. But I am hoping to get a production version sent to me later this week direct from Japan to try out for a couple of weeks...fingers crossed.

Phil Bloom April 22nd, 2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Perry (Post 1120141)
well it apparently comes out friday in japan so maybe we'll see more soon. it does seem oddly quiet on the gh1 front. im hoping they didnt hit a snag.

that's surprising. I was told beginning of June...

Steev Dinkins April 22nd, 2009 11:35 AM

It's been all over the web that it's going to be on sale in Japan on April 24th.

japan panasonic GH1 April 24 - Google Search

Phil Bloom April 22nd, 2009 11:44 AM

why they taking so long to release it anywhere else?

Steev Dinkins April 22nd, 2009 11:50 AM

I can only speculate that:

A) It could fuel the feeding frenzy with press releases, reviews, footage that hits first from out of Japan. (If true, I think this is a pretty retarded marketing tactic. Just do a global launch and sell more, faster.)

B) There have been many economic supply chain bottle necks in technology this year. And perhaps they are wanting to get it out, but can't supply a global demand.

Adam Perry April 22nd, 2009 01:17 PM

It could be april 24th was just a projected date. Beginning of june does seem more realistic and in line with the lack of info announced. I'm very curious to see what you can do with it, Phil. Been watching your video blogs as soon as they come out and was hoping for a little gh1 mention. Keep them coming, they're great!