The Best GH1 videos on Vimeo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Trustee

[QUOTE=Paulo Teixeira;1173697]OK, one last clip for this thread.
OK, forget about what I said.

I shot an event yesterday and here is part one.
All 5 parts are online.

They aren’t showing up in Vimeo’s search yet.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM   #17
Trustee

For the past few days, Vimeo is now AVCHD friendly. I just uploaded the original 1280x720 60p version to this page.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Harring View Post
BTW, the concern I have is the stock F4 lens, I'd like a brighter option, as I always end up shooting in a dark place at some point. My thinking is buying a few bright "obselete" primes would alleviate my concerns with this camera.

I am an amateur, but have commercial video experience and grew up with a Nikon FTN.
I'm a still photographer just starting with video, but do shoot quite a lot with MF lenses on G1/GF1. I like fast lenses--f/1.4/1.8. Great fun--I even tried my first video test with GF1 with a couple of FD primes. You might also consider the new Panny 20 f/1.7.

Diane
Diane Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #19
Major Player

Manual Focus lenses on Panasonic GH-1

Thanks for the response Diane.
1) Alternate Lenses
I just picked up a Canon 200mm f2.8 FD lens for the Panny. I've only done some test shots, found the Canon 200 prime lens to be sharper than the kit lens at 140mm. Obviously not apples-apples comparison here, but it does IMO show the potential of alternate lenses for this platform. Even video looks razor sharp. Your focusing has to be pretty precise though.

Needless to say a 200mm lens combined with the 2x crop factor means tripod is required. Also added a 2x Canon FD doubler to get equivalent 800mm lens. I learned the hard way in Yellowstone I needed this magnification to shoot wolves. While I won't get into National Geographic, should make a very economical package for a non commercial shooter.

Here's some gripes/concerns w/ stills:
Speaking of focus, after three weeks and 2000 photos, I will say I am not as happy with the autofocus as I think I should be. For people, cities, and urban, even low light it's fine, but for nature, such as shooting deer in brush, it seems to get a bit confused, even doing a half shutter prefocus press. (I prefocus on a tree in same focal plane).

Shooting mountains in Program AE or other AE, SP modes in daylight also caused some disturbing focus hunt. However, usingthe mountain scene mode worked around this.

Curiously, I didn't see any of these issues shooting video of the same subject. I shot everyting in the quicktime 720p/60, "Intelligent Auto" I believe. Only video issue I had was shooting into a moulin or glacier mill (hole). The intense white of the upper part of the hole versus the deep blue and relatively dark hole confused the camera resulting in blown out whites. I guess global warming will make this moot eventually.

SOmetimes the camera would "gain up" and not come back. True especially in bright locations, such as the glacier I was hiking on. I found I had to roll to another mode (e.g. Program AE to SP and back) to get it to behave. Tentatively I will suggets the sleep mode may have something to do with this. In 15 days of constant use it only happend perhaps four times.

My biggest gripe is the playback zoom of stills is digital magnification and therefore you really cannot check your focus in camera. Manual focus is "juttery" (jiggles) so hard to use as it magnifies.

But all in all, I am sticking with it as I think part of the issue is I don't have a complete understanding of getting precise focus.

Just for kicks, here's some video on a zipline using the GH-1 720P/60 quicktime movie IA mode:

2) M4/3 Adapters:
Nikon F: I bought the adapter from Steven at Cameraquest on a Saturday and had it in my hands on Monday. (Wow, thanks Steven!) I found the build quality of the Voightlander he sent to be excellent, everything mated up perfectly, no looseness or wiggle. Unfortunately, the old Nikkor 300mm f4.5 lens I was using was damaged and I could not get a sharp focus out of it. Obviously, not the adapter's fault here, so jury is still out.

The Canon FD mount I bought off e-bay from "hard-man" in Hong Kong. I like this adapter as it is slimmer (see photo) and again, seems to provide an excellent fit. Just beware it ships from Hong Kong, so can take awhile to receive.
I can recommend either one.

3) Other:
a) I attached a photo of both the m4/3 adapters for comparison purposes.
b) Also attached a photo of the camera compared to a typical 335ml soda can so you could have some perspective on size.

Incidentally, the rubber band around the lens helps prevent zoom creep when doing vigorous hiking or horseback riding. Part goes on the rotating part of the barrel, rest on the non-moving part. Simple and works well and does not interfere when getting a quick shot.
Attached Thumbnails
The Best GH1 videos on Vimeo-m43-adapter-comparison.jpg   The Best GH1 videos on Vimeo-panasonic-gh-1-vs-soda-can.jpg  

James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #20
Major Player

Here's a video - Beerfest! From the summer, shot in 60P (which is very obvious)! ;) Enjoy!

Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #21
Trustee

Not that I’m complaining, I mean it’s nice that I’m seeing my videos pop out, but since when did Dvinfo allow embeds?
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Since last night at around 11pm. For Vimeo only.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #23
Trustee

Here's a video of people ice stating in Boston.

I figured that if I'm going to have shutter speed of 30, than I might as well shoot in MJPEG. The Aperture is at f/1.7 so I was obviously using the 20mm lens and the ISO is at 320.
It got converted to H.264 at around 8MBPS.

Do not mind the way the graphics look. I was just fooling around.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; November 25th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #24
Trustee

Red Bull SnowMobile (SledStyle) event during New Year's Eve

Go on the Vimeo page for information.
I really need to get press credentials when I'm shooting these events because I can't stand being restricted but at least the articulating screen helps a lot. I'm seriously considering getting myself a pair of Stilts.
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Very cool. I would think something with so much movement and action would probably look smoother in 720. Where did the event take place?
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #26
Trustee

It was next to City Hall in Boston.

I've been using the 20mm lens for so long that I almost forgot how to shoot well with the 10x lens while zooming. In the bright side, at least I got the shots because I could have easily been someplace else.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #27
Trustee

Here's a video of a pillow fight event in Massachusettsb that I took today.
Their are a whole lot more videos than just this one.

Every single clip is native directly from the camera.
I obviously had no support at all.
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #28
Regular Crew

the GH1 and slow shutter

more info here
Alter Ego Mike Kobal
as much as i love the 5d2, i still think the gh1 is the most advanced hybrid
not as good in low light as the 5d2 but much longer recording times and i really like the effect from using show shutter
mike
mikekobal.com
Mike Kobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Beautifully shot, Mike. Me likey!
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I agree. It does seem that way.

Last edited by D.R. Gates; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series