The Best GH1 videos on Vimeo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Trustee

The Best GH1 videos on Vimeo

I bet the guy who bought that GH1 jokingly called a local retailer yesterday to see if they had any in stock and out of luck, the person on the phone says theirs one left. He could have been imagining himself recording a Sand Sculpture event on the day they announce the winners using a GH1 and thinking it‘s just wishful thinking.

They seam to be untouched MJPEG samples directly from the camera

He might post a whole lot more within the next few days.

Some of you who are looking for a GH1 should try calling a local retailer because you never know.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Paulo, did you shoot these? The first clip isn't working for some reason.
I'm just starting to shoot a little more with the PJpeg mode and think it's great, just wished we had the other framerates in this codec.
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, it was me who got it. Just having a little fun. They were all in MJPEG and I didn’t have any problems.

I was in shock when he said they had one left of the black one. I was expecting him to say that he has no idea when they’ll be in. I had to sign up for that store’s credit card knowing that I have to pay it off in 3 months no interest. 6 months wouldn’t have been a problem. Then again, I can easily pay the camera off taking photography gigs plus I’ve been dreaming that I can use a GH1 for that event and got pissed that it’ll never happen.

I have a theory that it was a preorder and since the place also had Olympus’s EP-1 in stock, he/she could have gotten that instead. I say that because I nearly changed my mind when I saw the Olympus on display.

Here’s a couple of videos taken today:
I was just fouling around with zooming. Doesn’t look that great but at least it’s native.

If anyone’s interested, here’s the 2005 event that I taped using a Panasonic 100a

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; July 15th, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Major Player

So is the GH1 better than the MKII or something? Seeing a lot more posts on it now. What makes it so good?
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

You've already answered your own question in this post: "everybody has their favorite for an unlimited number of reasons." There really is no such thing as one being "better" than another in a superlative way; ultimately there is only what's better for you. Those who choose the GH1 have done so because it's the right camera for them. Others choose different makes and models for the same reason. There is no one "single best" camera / guitar / car / truck / whatever. If there was, then we wouldn't have twenty-odd different camera discussion boards here. Please don't fall into the superlative trap.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Good point Chris.. I should have asked.. specs wise, does it shoot longer than 12 mins, better quality, better low light, less compression, stuff like that.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
Good point Chris.. I should have asked.. specs wise, does it shoot longer than 12 mins, better quality, better low light, less compression, stuff like that.
Pros:
1) Shoots longer than 12 minutes.
2) Shoots 1080p24 or 720p60
3) Autofocus
4) $1500 vs. $3000

Cons:
1) Takes Micro 4/3rds lenses, not 35mm, though there's an adaptor for regular 4/3 lenses.
2) AVCHD bitrate limited to 17mbps.
3) Sensor size is roughly 1/4 (or 1/2 diagonal) the 35mm of the 5DM2. Low light performance tends to be roughly equal, but depth-of-field is doubled for the same aperture.

For example, at a subject distance of 5 feet, an f-stop of 2.4, and a focal length of 50mm, the total depthf of field is 0.42 feet (5 inches) on the 5DM2.

The Micro Four Thirds sensor requires you to halve the focal length to get the same frame, because of the smaller sensor. And then, at a subject distance of 5 feet, an f-stop of 2.0, and a focal length of 25mm, the total depth of field would be .86 feet (10 inches).

This is STILL much better than just about any consumer cam you can buy on the market at any price, and much better than most prosumer cams.
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #8
Trustee

I have 5 new clips up and here is the longest one:
It’s the only one out of all of my GH1 clips that isn’t native MJPEG so far. It was just too big for Vimeo to leave it as is.
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Major Player

I am afraid GH1 records in AVCHD,, right?
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Major Player

The GH1 records in AVCHD for 1080p24 and 720p60, but records in MotionJPEG for 720p30.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Trustee

OK, one last clip for this thread.
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
The GH1 records in AVCHD for 1080p24 and 720p60, but records in MotionJPEG for 720p30.
What is the maximum AVCHD data rate of the GH1 ?
Peter Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Another advantage to the GH1 that hasn't been mentioned here is the easy use of old, legacy lenses. Because the camera has no mirror that flips up like an SLR (Canons, Nikons, etc.) you can use old Canon FD lenses, Nikkors, Minolta, Olympus OM, etc. Old manual lenses with great glass that are dirt cheap compared to their modern digital autofocus counterparts. I even have a c-mount adapter that lets me use old 16mm Bolex lenses on my GH-1. They are wide-angle and very light sensitive (f1.4). The sheer variety of old lenses you can easily use has completely transformed my moviemakin/photography experience.
And if you're into telephoto shots, the 2x crop factor of the GH1 doubles the focal length of your lens. So a 300mm becomes like a 600mm!

Cool stuff.
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Major Player

Re-use old lenses

I have been really intrigued by this possibility, but have to believe you must lose something here. Anyone shoot video with these lenses? Would it safe to assume, you'd have to go completly manual here? If so I would guess the DOF preview in the camera would be a great help.

--> Restated, what do you lose using old manual primes?

BTW, the concern I have is the stock F4 lens, I'd like a brighter option, as I always end up shooting in a dark place at some point. My thinking is buying a few bright "obselete" primes would alleviate my concerns with this camera.

I am an amateur, but have commercial video experience and grew up with a Nikon FTN.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Burke View Post
What is the maximum AVCHD data rate of the GH1 ?
17Mbps. I'd rather have 25, but 17's acceptable, and it's about as good as you'd get from HDV tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series