GH1 $950 at Amazon! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Major Player

GH1 $950 at Amazon!

If you've been on the fence now may be the time. This deal, via J&R Music, may sell out quickly.

Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Unless of course this indicates that the GH2 is around the corner, which may suggest that now is the time to wait for developments :-)
Kevin Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Possibly, but the GH2 (or whatever they will call it) could still be months away -- September, end of the year, early next year... There was a special offer on Panasonic's site that offered the camera for $995 a month ago to limited people. Then it went back to $1495. Right now Panasonic is offering a $150 discount.

No telling what the GH2 will offer, cost, or how it will come packaged either.
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

$950 fro teh body only

B&H has it for 1179 shipped with the lens. I am still debating weather to wait fro GH2 or go GH1..
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Major Player

The $950 ones are gone and it's back to $1,180 now.

The GH2 is still an unknown, the hacked GH1 is darn impressive and may even surpass the GH2 depending on what Panasonic does with it. The GH2 can come out at a higher price, with a different kit lens -- read that the kit lens with the G1 is better than the one with the G2 for example. On the other hand the GH2 could be awesome if it has some of the improvements and features on people's wish list. One's a known the other an guess...for a while longer.
Old July 25th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave

Thanks. I will keep reading but the GH1 may be what I may get. I have many Nikon lenses for my D300 so I may get the adapter fro Nikon as well. I figured the the GH1 with the Kit lens and 20 1.7 is as much as what a body of D300s. will cosy
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Major Player

GH1 is $950 at Amazon again

The GH1 is $950 again at Amazon via J&R Music:

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Major Player

I've read on another site that not all GH1s are hackable. Would be a shame to buy one of these only to find out it doesn't have the GH13 potential.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Major Player

It may be a waiting game on some to see if the firmware in some of the newer versions can be hacked. Heard that the ones from B&H are still hackable. the ones from Amazon/J&R may or may not be. Some people are still doing incredible work with unhacked ones. All depends on your needs/budget.
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Needs are broadcast news/doc. From what I've read GH13 much better in many regards in terms of image quality (also useful for me to add PAL framerates).

$200 savings is great ... but if it can't be hacked it's not worth the savings.

Is there any definitive way to know if they can be hacked or not? Some suggest serial numbers/firmware version will tell you. I wonder if J&R has received any calls about this?

Thanks Dave
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Major Player

Cheers Dave.

From what I've read on the other site, looks like the short answer to my question is "nobody knows."
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Yep. Several people are expecting the ones they ordered from the last sale on Monday and will probably post their findings. Trouble is that the last sale only lasted 1-day then, so by Monday the sale will be over.

You could order the camera and if it's not hackable you might be able to return it -- may or may not be that easy from where you are. You could sell the camera on eBay (or split it and sell the body and lens separately) and maybe make a slight profit -- based on what they're selling for now on eBay.

The only place that is know to be shipping hackable cameras is B&H and that could change any second as they deplete their stock and start with new stock.

It's an assumption that the newer ones will be hacked, too, just no timetable.
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Major Player

Just saw a note saying:

"There was a post on here a few days ago that someone got theirs from last week when they ran the lower price and it was hackable."

No guarantees.

Saw a post from someone looking to buy a hackable version from anyone willing to sell theirs.
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:10 PM   #14
Major Player

Just got off the phone with J&R sales guy. He said from what he could see on his databse, the cameras have firmware 1.3.
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Yep. Saw your other post -- I forum bounce, too. :-)

Wait a sec. version 1.3 came out in May and is on the Panny website and I think (check, don't go by me) is hackable. It's 1.34 that's the hassle version.

Note: I have been wrong before.

Last edited by Dave Eaton; July 31st, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series