Picture profile settings on the GH1/2. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Picture profile settings on the GH1/2.

Do you guys shoot with the factory settings or do you adjust contrast, etc.? Do you use any of the various "looks", or just "standard" and color in post? I know people with the Canon DSLR's usually bring down some of the settings, so I was wondering if that's a good idea with this camera, too.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Major Player

There are modes, "Cinema", "Dynamic", etc. on the GH2 that can change the 'looks' of the image some. And there are other settings, again in the GH2 that allow you to adjust contrast, saturation, etc.

Sometimes I and I imagine others, adjust video in post, sometimes not. What do I/the audience want as far as looks changes from project to project. In the end, there is no 'better', there's only what works best for you. Try shooting something that gives you lots of color and luminance range, something you can refer back to. Shoot with different settings and sse what you like. There are other GH1-2 discussions where people talk about "That setting is better for this..." and so on. Those can give you some pointers as well.

You can download a demo of Magic Bullet 'Looks' and try some of their presets as well. Lot of options, no one set of standards.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I have Magic Bullet Looks already. I was just curious because I generally prefer to shoot flat and adjust in post, but I was sure I remember people saying on the 7D that you should lower the contrast and/or saturation for a better cleaner picture to edit later. Wasn't sure if there was a general consensus with the Panny.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I would think that is the consensus for any type of compressed video.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Major Player

smooth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
Yeah, I have Magic Bullet Looks already. I was just curious because I generally prefer to shoot flat and adjust in post, but I was sure I remember people saying on the 7D that you should lower the contrast and/or saturation for a better cleaner picture to edit later. Wasn't sure if there was a general consensus with the Panny.

I generally shoot in "smooth" mode with the contrast down one click. I like the image I get out of the camera that way, and I find it pretty easy to match up with my EX1 ( with cinema gamma 3 or 4 and black donw about -20).

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I've been reading up quite a bit, and it seems the consensus is Smooth is the way to go. I have everything but NR set to -2.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Another vote for "Smooth" if you plan to grade in post. Some like Cinema though.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series