Adapter confusion... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 16th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Adapter confusion...

Just got my GH2 and I have a set of 6 prime Zeiss Jena en Meijer-Optik lenses that I purchased not too long ago for use with my 550D. I am relatively new to the business of lenses and DSLR's and the different adapters confuse me.
I want to use my lenses with my GH2 as well. I bought them from someone who used them on his 5D so they mount to my 550, no problem. But now I need an adapter for my GH2. Which one to get? I've read about cheap adapters and adapters for controlling everything electronic. The only electronic lenses I have are the 'native' Panasonic 20mm and a Tamron 17-55 for Canon.

Which adapters should I get?
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I f you find one let me know the only one i know that will possibly control everything is the expensive Birger one not yet teleased.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Any plain adapter for Canon 550D mount to micro 4/3. And don't expect electronically controlled lenses will work the same as on Canon. They'll become full manual with GH2.
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Major Player

I am confused too. I have nikon F mount lens and I did buy a adapter so I can mount the nikon lens onto the Panasonic micro 4/3. However I can not control the f-stop with my nikon lenses since they are auto (electronically controlled). Do I want to buy older F mount lenses that still have the iris ring on the lens so I can manually change the f-stop? I did buy the 'adaptor' that supposedly you can use with auto lenses, it does not give me any read out in the viewfinder/LCD, and since my nikon lenses do not have iris rings how am I to change the f-stop?
I do have the GH2 menu setting to 'no lens'.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldi Krasowski View Post
Any plain adapter for Canon 550D mount to micro 4/3. And don't expect electronically controlled lenses will work the same as on Canon. They'll become full manual with GH2.
But there are adapters from EOS to micro 4/3 that mention GH1 but not GH2. That means micro 4/3 knows different standards as well?

Like this one. Or can you use any adapter that also fits the GH1?

Canon EOS EF lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter EP-1 GF1 G1 GH1 - eBay, Adapters Mounts, Lens Accessories, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (Eindtijd 06-mrt-11 05:30:11 CET)
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
But there are adapters from EOS to micro 4/3 that mention GH1 but not GH2.
GH1 and GH2 use the same lens mount, so this should work on both with no problems.

Jim - I use only Pentax lenses, so can't tell you too much about Nikon or Canon, but for Pentax there are m4/3 adapters that have a lever to control aperture on auto-iris lenses. Probably there are similar for Nikon, Canon etc.
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Waldi,
Are you using the vintage pentax? I have two 50mm vintages that I love. Am thinking of getting a full arsenal. Which do you recommend and appreciate?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Nikon F and Canon EF will not work because they do not have manual iris controls on the lens (except older F lenses and also you can use Canon FD). You need the Nikon G lenses with a Nikon G adapter to M43 which are available.
This is my understanding anyway.
I only have Canon EF lenses so I am stuck with buying new lenses until a good saolution comes out - the Birger adapter which is being released is very expensive.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Have a look at this!
Canon EOS-Micro 4/3 M4/3 adapter w/Build-in Aperture! - eBay (item 280601888064 end time Mar-10-11 00:31:15 PST)
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Major Player

My lenses are almost all manual so I have no need for the built-in aperture, at least not now.

I currently have the M42 to EOS adapters on them. It would be nice if I could leave these on and use an EOS to micro 4/3 adapter. But I'm not sure of the consequences, if any.

Mounting an adapter on an adapter seems not ideal, common sense tells me, but maybe I'm wrong. Someone said one of the problems arising from that could be with infinity.
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
New Boot

Hello, i have some similar question. Does canon fd to 4/3 olympus adapter fits to gh2?
one like this Find Canon FD to M.4/3 ADAPTER garantia OLYMPUS on eBay International Market, with worldwide deals on items in all your top categories
maybe u can give some advice on picking one of canon fd to 3/4 panasonic gh1/2?
can someone offer to me canon fd to m4/3adaptor with manual aperture?

Last edited by Gediminas Sulcas; February 17th, 2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: add question
Gediminas Sulcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Mounts 4/3 and micro4/3 are different.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Re: Adapter confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
I am confused too. I have nikon F mount lens and I did buy a adapter so I can mount the nikon lens onto the Panasonic micro 4/3. However I can not control the f-stop with my nikon lenses since they are auto (electronically controlled). Do I want to buy older F mount lenses that still have the iris ring on the lens so I can manually change the f-stop? I did buy the 'adaptor' that supposedly you can use with auto lenses, it does not give me any read out in the viewfinder/LCD, and since my nikon lenses do not have iris rings how am I to change the f-stop?
I do have the GH2 menu setting to 'no lens'.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
If you have the "G" type lenses you can buy an adapter made by Fotodiox that will manually control the iris for about $44 including shipping:

I have this item and it works.
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Re: Adapter confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gediminas Sulcas View Post
Hello, i have some similar question. Does canon fd to 4/3 olympus adapter fits to gh2?
one like this Find Canon FD to M.4/3 ADAPTER garantia OLYMPUS on eBay International Market, with worldwide deals on items in all your top categories
maybe u can give some advice on picking one of canon fd to 3/4 panasonic gh1/2?
can someone offer to me canon fd to m4/3adaptor with manual aperture?
I bought some of these to use my Canon FD lenses on my GH2 & AF101. They work great. There is a ring on the adaptor labelled Open-Lock that allows you to smoothly & adjust the aperture. Canon FD lens to Olympus E-P1 E-P2 micro 4/3 Adapter on eBay (end time 14-Mar-11 17:45:45 GMT)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series