GH1 and GH2 together, what an idea! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

GH1 and GH2 together, what an idea!

I've been in a panic, because I'm going to need a second camera to match my GH2 and GH2s are not available. I just realized the obvious, I should buy a GH1!

If I'm shooting in 720p or 1080i, anyone know why the footage wouldn't match? Any caveats? Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.

Is focusing achieved pretty much the same on both? From what I've quickly read up on it in the last few minutes they are similar.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 20th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Trustee

You might want to think about a GF2. It's new and the same generation as the GH2 - an even closer match.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Digital Micro Four Thirds DMC-GF2KK B&H
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: GH1 and GH2 together, what an idea!

Jim, thanks for complicating things...just when I get a "great" idea, you have to come up with a better one!

Seriously, that does seem to be an excellent suggestion. The GF2 even comes with a lens, the GH1 does not.

I have to look into this...I have no idea how video operates on it, I would strongly prefer something that looks/behaves similarly to the GH2, and the GF2 might fill the bill, I have no idea.

At least it is newer, and would retain it's value a little better if I needed to sell later.
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

And there's also the G2. You can get one for the jaw dropping price of $350. The GH1 hack works on it, so you get a high bit rate and it's also got a great focus tracking feature that even the GH2 lacks.

Big drawback is no 24p.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Brian, thanks for your suggestion...I thought the GH2 had (has) the auto tracking feature...I'll look into the G2, also. Golly gee...I'm editing furiously this week, but I will look into this as I find time.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Brian, thanks for your suggestion...I thought the GH2 had (has) the auto tracking feature...I'll look into the G2, also. Golly gee...I'm editing furiously this week, but I will look into this as I find time.
The GH2 has a facial recognition software but the auto tracking feature is disabled.
So far however my mantra has become AF for still, Manual for video.

The G2 also has a good bundle deal with the 14-45mm lens which is superior to the 14-42 lens that normally people get.
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
And there's also the G2. You can get one for the jaw dropping price of $350. The GH1 hack works on it, so you get a high bit rate and it's also got a great focus tracking feature that even the GH2 lacks.

Big drawback is no 24p.
The GH1 hack works with the G2?? Is that $350 for body only? But still it will only do 720p.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
The GH1 hack works with the G2?? Is that $350 for body only? But still it will only do 720p.
One of the developers who wrote the GH1 hack said it will work. I think only 720p, and 30p though. Body only yes for $350, but for $550 you get the body and 14-45mm lens which is easily superior to the 14-42 that people seem to dislike intensely.

G2 also has the cool touch display like the GH2.
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hacking possibility has been disabled on GH1 by Panny about May 2010, same with G2 and all the others of G serie, I am afraid.
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Right Brian. The 14-45 is supposedly the nicer of the two, and makes the bundle well worth the price.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldi Krasowski View Post
Hacking possibility has been disabled on GH1 by Panny about May 2010, same with G2 and all the others of G serie, I am afraid.
Then there's conflicting info, one of the original hackers told me a few days ago the G2 is still hackable, perhaps he assumed I was referring to second hand unit, but the conversation was actually in the context of the current PD G2 promo. But I cannot say for sure, I'm not a hacker and don't own a G2. It seems strange that Panasonic would zip up the GH1 firmware and keep the G2 hackable? I don't know.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Brian, I was reading up on the focus last night on my GH2 and there is a section devoted to tracking focus feature, which is a separate function from the facial recognition feature.

See page 49 of the manual.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 23rd, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
One of the developers who wrote the GH1 hack said it will work. I think only 720p, and 30p though. Body only yes for $350, but for $550 you get the body and 14-45mm lens which is easily superior to the 14-42 that people seem to dislike intensely.

G2 also has the cool touch display like the GH2.
FYI: The only place I found the G2 bundled with the 14-15mm lens was on the Panasonic website. They want $600. I checked and there are no bundle deals with the lens or the camera for Facebook fans.
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldi Krasowski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Strehl View Post
FYI: The only place I found the G2 bundled with the 14-15mm lens was on the Panasonic website. They want $600. I checked and there are no bundle deals with the lens or the camera for Facebook fans.
Perhaps it's just on the employee site? PD sent me the ad. And with a little creativity you can get on to that site and order.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Inner Circle

You can still get hackable GH1's apparently. Here's a PAL version for $550. Hope you like gold.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Body (Gold)+16GB SDHC- Hackable (eBay item 200579336667 end time 24-Mar-11 16:32:31 AEDST) : Cameras
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series