DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Moire with GH2 after converted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/491856-moire-gh2-after-converted.html)

Jeff Harper February 18th, 2011 01:44 PM

Brian L, don't have 1080p option.

Guy McLoughlin February 18th, 2011 02:12 PM

Hi Jeff,

I downloaded your MTS file, then brought it in to Sony Vegas Pro 9, and then exported directly from Vegas to SD wide-screen format using the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC. I also made a few tiny tweaks for color and gamma which is more to my taste.

Overall the whole process took about one minute, and you can judge the quality yourself. This is SD wide-screen with no AVI exports or intermediary video files.

Let me know what you think:

Export Directly from Sony Vegas Pro 9 Timeline

Brian Luce February 18th, 2011 02:55 PM

For Virtual dub, I believe you have to be in an AVI format for it to work.

David Grinnell February 18th, 2011 04:01 PM

I do whole weddings this way, I end up with some pretty big files but if you think about it they are just go between files and you can delete them after you render out of Vdub...

I would love to use NeoHD, but I just haven’t gotten around to buying it because I have Vdub for free... It’s a little more of a pain, but the quality is good, and if I can save money without sacrificing quality then I’m all over it

Jeff Harper February 18th, 2011 04:16 PM

David, whole weddings? As I mentioned I rendered a 3 minute video and it became 33GB avi...2 hours worth of footage would end up being zillions of terrabytes...can you guide me on this seemingly simple task...I choose:

1.Video for Windows (avi)
2. Uncompressed is what I chose before. Is there a custom setting needed?

Thanks, Jeff

David Grinnell February 18th, 2011 05:10 PM

1. Video for windows (AVI)
2. Lagarith Lossless codec

I forgot to tell you I use the Lagarith codec, it makes about 2.5gb per min of video ( I have a 28min video that is 74gb)

Here is a link to the codec
http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

David

Jeff Harper February 18th, 2011 07:18 PM

Thank you, very kind!

I can't get the coded installed, it "installs" but isn't showing up...grrr.

Jim Snow February 18th, 2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1619517)

Jim, that is perfect, VERY nice. HD link did an amazing job. Guy recommended deinterlacing in Vegas before editing, is that enough?

Virtual dub has been recommended also. I will go back and look at those posts to see what was written, as Neo HD is not in the budget at this time.

Does anyone know if Virtual Dub will match the performance of HD Link for resizing?

I agree that you should deinterlace. I do it in HDLink at the same time I resize. Most editors do a ROTTEN job of deinterlacing as well as resizing. There are a number of Virtual Dub filters that do a lot of things including deinterlacing. No doubt some are better than others. HDLink (NeoHD) is so convenient, you may want to consider putting it on a Santa Claus or birthday list. ;-)

David Grinnell February 18th, 2011 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a screenshot of where I select the lagarith codec, just in case I left something out...

Also I run Win 7 64bit... and vegas 10

I would assume that you re-booted after installing, but that would be to easy haha

David

Jeff Harper February 18th, 2011 10:37 PM

No, I hadn't rebooted, but I just did, and there it is! Do I set the Pixel Aspect Ration to 1.333 as you did in your screen shot, or leave it as square pixels? And then do I wait to deinterlace till I go into Virtual Dub?

Edit: I went back and saw you said use the same settings, so no I wouldn't interlace in first step.

David Grinnell February 19th, 2011 06:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
downloaded your video, and here is what I got using my method (I would use the Lagarith to render out of Vdub as well, no sense in losing any data until you have to)

then I dropped in into vegas and rendered out a Mpg2 like I was making a DVD

here is that file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8051517/Resized.mpg

I did de-interlace in Vdub, I think it does a good job, or at least better than vegas.

here are the settings I use in Vdub :)

David

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2011 07:28 AM

Jim, Videoguys has HD Link for $399 right now, it looks tempting!

David, I see what you have done and am downloading your file now. As I wait, I want to tell you I rendered out of Vegas into uncompressed avi last night, was not too good, so I'm thinking my settings were wrong, I'm re-rendering now. I tried 1.333 PAR, but it left bars on the side, so I"m back to square pixels, and it's is processing now.

I'll let you know as soon as I see yours. This will be very interesting, to have side by side comparison of this method vs HD Link as Jim did it. Battle of the codecs!

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2011 07:31 AM

Guy, I'm absolutely red-faced, I had not seen your post and had not know you had re-encoded my clip, thank you, I JUST saw it.

Thanks a ton, I have wanted to see what Vegas could do directly in the right hands. I'll download your version after David's. This is really shaping up into a codec fest.

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2011 07:57 AM

Well gentlemen, I have seen all three versions: Guy's, Jim's and David's.

Well, they all looked comparable!

It would seem the artifacts from my original edited video two sources: From resizing AND from the interlacing.

Guy, you didn't resize to fill screen complete, correct? But the bars on the side are negligible. So if I had no need to resize and I needed to do a quick edit, your method would work very well: just render out without interlacing, correct?

I have wedding June 25th that is a same day edit, and that method would seem to work best as time will be at a super premium.

For customer DVDs, I would need to use HD Link or David's method for proper resizing, it would seem.

David, I will finish trying out your workflow with Virtual Dub later this morning and report back!

Guy McLoughlin February 19th, 2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1619751)
Guy, you didn't resize, but the bars on the side are negligible. So if I had no need to resize and I needed to do a quick edit, your method would work very well: just render out without interlacing, correct?

Actually, if you download the rendered MPEG-2 file you will see that I did resize your HD video down to SD wide-format which displays as 873x480 pixels but is stored in 720x480 format with a pixel aspect of 1.333. If you bring it in to an editor it looks virtually identical to David's and Jim's MPEG-2 file. Same format size, same aspect ratio, same display size.

I find that I can do just about anything with Sony Vegas Pro without having to resort to any intermediary files, you just have to know the editor really well.