DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Moire with GH2 after converted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/491856-moire-gh2-after-converted.html)

Jim Snow February 19th, 2011 10:04 AM

You can do a great job in Virtual Dub if done correctly. I used to use it but I switched to HDLink because it is easier and faster. It comes with Cineform which I also use as a near lossless intermediate codec.

David Grinnell February 19th, 2011 01:20 PM

Vegas 10 has the cineform codec as well

Jim Snow February 19th, 2011 01:26 PM

Earlier versions of Vegas has a basic version of Cineform but Cineform in any 'variety' isn't included with Vegas 10.

David Grinnell February 19th, 2011 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well maybe I’m wrong, wouldn’t be the first time haha

Here is what I was referencing as cineform in vegas 10

oh and I agree with you Jim on it being easier and faster, but I just can't justify the money... sure it takes time but its just render hours, I just leave it to render while I sleep :)

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2011 05:33 PM

Guy, I only saw your online version, which had tiny bars on the side, and I didn't realize you had resized it....I didn't download it, didn't know I could, I'll go back and download it and check it out.

Thank you!

Jim's right David, I happened to read somewhere on the Cineform website that they stopped shipping Cineform codec with Vegas in 10.

Guy McLoughlin February 19th, 2011 07:22 PM

Cineform is a great CODEC. I use it for archiving finished projects and when I need to collaborate with Final Cut Pro editors, as the Cineform CODEC is completely cross-platform between Windows and Mac platforms.

The cheapest way to buy the Cineform CODEC is from the Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 we are the video editing and production experts website which sells Cineform NEO SCENE for Windows or Mac for $100.

Jim Snow February 20th, 2011 11:50 AM

Cineform Neoscene only supports these camera formats - HDV, AVCHD, Canon 5DM2/7D/T2i

Cineform NeoHD supports these camera formats - HDV, AVCHD, DVCPRO HD (P2),
XDCam HD/EX, Canon 5D/7D/1DS V-DSLRs, Infinity J2K

You also need NeoHD if you want to be able to resize to SD video

Guy McLoughlin February 20th, 2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1620128)
Cineform NeoHD supports these camera formats - HDV, AVCHD, DVCPRO HD (P2), XDCam HD/EX, Canon 5D/7D/1DS V-DSLRs, Infinity J2K

The VideoGuys website sells NeoHD for $400, which is a $100 off the manufacturer's price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1620128)
You also need NeoHD if you want to be able to resize to SD video

Just to clarify, if you want to be able to resize during the importing process you need NeoHD, otherwise you are free to resize using your video editor and save as SD format using the Cineform CODEC that comes with NEO SCENE.

If I was processing a lot of HD ---> SD, the NeoHD upgrade would be well worth it, as you can batch-import and down-rez at the same time.

Jim Snow February 20th, 2011 07:48 PM

I have found that NeoHD does a much better job with HD to SD resizing than Vegas does. That is pretty much the case with any NLE. That has always been a mystery to me, that is why do pro level NLE's do a poor job compared to other methods of resizing. Deinterlacing is another problem with NLE's. Cineform does a vastly better job with deinterlacing.

Guy McLoughlin February 20th, 2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1620264)
I have found that NeoHD does a much better job with HD to SD resizing than Vegas does. Cineform does a vastly better job with deinterlacing.

Hmmm... I would agree with you when I first got Vegas and used the supplied presets, but once I got used to making my own custom Vegas presets, I found that Vegas can do a great job, but there is no room for error, you get one thing wrong and the result is quite bad.

Jeff Harper February 20th, 2011 09:13 PM

Re: Moire with GH2 after converted

Yes, I suspect I'm going to end up with NeoHD. With a wedding a week, if not more during the busy season, time will be at a permium, and the $400 would well be worth it!

Waldi Krasowski February 21st, 2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin (Post 1620268)
Vegas can do a great job, but there is no room for error, you get one thing wrong and the result is quite bad.

And to learn Vegas would be better than to spend 400USD for NeoHD (and learn it as well).

Brian Luce February 21st, 2011 04:16 AM

Anyone have a good alternative to $400 HD Link, clunky Virtual Dub and mediocre Vegas down sizing? Nero have a downscaling features?

Jim Forrest February 21st, 2011 09:05 AM

I am using TMPGEnc express 4.0. I wonder has it stacks up against Cineform HD? Has anyone tried both?

TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5

Jeff Harper February 21st, 2011 09:10 AM

Does it resize avchd video, or avi?