Moire with GH2 after converted - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #16
Major Player

That SD looks pretty darn good. The shoestring looks like a rolling shutter effect to me. If it was a moire problem I think you would see it on the cats whiskers.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

It doesn't show up in the original footage, but must be exacerbated in process.
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #18
Trustee

That isn't rolling shutter; it's interlacing artifacts as a result of resizing. That, I'm one hundred percent sure of.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Great, Jim, just when I thought I had it.
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Trustee

If you can let me have a clip of the swinging thread, I will resize it for you. Important - I need the original untouched clip from the camera. A good way to do it is with Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/ You put a file in the public folder in your Dropbox and copy the link to it and post the link. That will allow it to be downloaded by someone else. I won't be able to do it until later this evening. I am about to leave on a job.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
That isn't rolling shutter; it's interlacing
That's what I thought. But hey - maybe we see it because Jeff put interlaced video on a webpage instead of making it progressive..?
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
Inner Circle

The flash video you see looks exactly the same as the avi file for the most part.
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

What is your Vegas version? For flawless HD footage editing you should use 9 or 10.
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I am. As Jim says I'm not resizing it properly.

I have been away all day and will play more with it tonite, or tomorrow. Jim I will send you the clip as soon as I catch my breath and get done with dinner.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Jim, here the clip. Right click on it. http://cincinnativideo.net/PriceList/Cats/00012.MTS
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #26
Trustee

Hi Jeff, Here is the resized MPEG file. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8731209/0012%20resized.mpg

As you can see, it's very clean. NLE's do a bad job of resizing interlaced video. They leave some pretty bad looking interlace artifacts. I used HDLink which is part of Cineform NeoHD. It does a great job as you can see. When you look at it, you are going to have a hard time believing that it's just an SD MPEG video clip. Let me know what you think.

I rendered it out of Vegas as an MPEG file AFTER I resized it with Cineform HDLink. Cineform HDLink doesn't convert to MPEG. It creates a Cineform .avi file.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Hi Jeff, Here is the resized MPEG file. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8731209/0012%20resized.mpg

I rendered it out of Vegas as an MPEG file AFTER I resized it with Cineform HDLink. Cineform HDLink doesn't convert to MPEG. It creates a Cineform .avi file.
So HD Link is a good solution for resizing hd to sd? Have you integrated it in to a SD DVD authoring in DVDA or some other program? The Virtual Dub solution is just too many hoops to jump through.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I've been offline since yesterday, glad to be back.

Thanks for the imput, everyone.

Guy, you were correct, as Jim was.

Jim, that is perfect, VERY nice. HD link did an amazing job. Guy recommended deinterlacing in Vegas before editing, is that enough?

I've been swamped with editing, time is limited, so I haven't studied this as much as I wanted to.

Virtual dub has been recommended also. I will go back and look at those posts to see what was written, as Neo HD is not in the budget at this time.

Does anyone know if Virtual Dub will match the performance of HD Link for resizing?
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #29
Inner Circle

David, you suggested rendering out in uncompressed avi with Vegas, then resizing in Virtual Dub. Jim's workflow with HD Link is to take source footage and resize first. Wouldn't I want to do that with Virutual Dub? Just spitballing here...trying to clarify my options.

David, never mind, I've found Virtual Dub doesn't seem to work with HD files, so I would have to do as you said, render to uncompressed then resize.
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I rendered the video to uncompressed avi, three minute video was 33GB in size. Not very practical. I need to play with this some more.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series