Where or how in the world do you get one?? (GH2) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Where or how in the world do you get one?? (GH2)

Got mine with the 14-140 in December from The Camera Store in Calgary, AB. They appear to be back in stock (I would call to confirm):

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 with 14-140mm f/4-5.8 | The Camera Store

A few dollars more than stateside retail, but worth it.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #17
Major Player

On thing NOT to do is keep clicking around online looking for internet stores that have stock - it is pointless as most GH2's leave the store immediately.

Go to the two big distributors - AbelCine and B&H and put your name down. And wait.

This may not give immediate satisfaction but you will receive a GH2 eventually! Mine took three weeks this way. They do alert you to stock and when they will charge your card, so the system works. Unfortunately, we have all gotten use to being satisfied immediately - even a nanosecond is just too dam long now.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Regular Crew

actualy what I did was do a google search for "GH2 in stock" and change the filters of the search to show only last 24hrs... then it poped up that adorama had just added some 28 mins before....
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Major Player

There seem to be plenty here in UK. I ordered one on Amazon and it was delivered the next day, trouble is I'm not happy with the moire patterning on fine detail so it's going back tomorrow. Nice camera shame about the image.
Just today went into John Lewis department store, plenty in stock.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #20
Inner Circle

George, there is no denying your experience, but this is the first major complaint on moire I've seen with the camera. In side by side tests, the moire on this cameras is comparable or better than the Mark7D, I believe.

Converting the footage will not lead to any issues if converted properly, as I've learned.

See the new version of the cat video, no more interlaced artifacts in my video. I never had moire to begin with.

I am particularly impressed with the quality of the footage despite the fact that some of it was reversed, and slowed down up to 60%, yet the images remained excellent. I've never worked with footage that was as pristine and easy to work with, from a creative standpoint.

Good luck with whatever you end up using!

Cincinnati Video Production by Jeff Harper Video

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 28th, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for your encouragement Greg, and I know those who like this camera really like it. That's why I settled on it out of the other DSLR or DEVIL cameras, but in all my research I never once read about this problem, until I saw your post. My worry is that I shoot mainly full HD on JVC-HM700 and a lot of the footage has such fine detail; business premises and warehouse interiors, lots of racking etc The GH2 footage just jumped out when cut into the 'true' video footage. I'm shooting jobs with quick turn around and can't afford to spend time in post to correct it. I can understand if these are being used for 'art' projects, or you have plenty of time to post-produce they might be worth time involved. I may be the only one, but it's not the camera for me.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #22
Inner Circle

George, just to be clear, as I posted in repsponse to your post in the other thread, I NEVER HAD moire issues, as I've stated in the other thread! I was wrong. The issue was deinterlacing artifacts, which had NOTHING to do with my camera, or orignal footage.

I shoot weddings and corporate events for a living, and at any given time can have up to 10 events in the hopper being worked on or awaiting editing and time is of the essence in my work. This camera has reignited my interest in video.

If you followed up in the orignal thread, I also said the footage from the camera is the easiest to work with I've ever had. I'm not sure why you believe it would be more time consuming in post, that is simply not true. True it must be converted prior for making SD videos, but that is ideally true for any HD footage going to SD.

Please don't use my post as any reason for ditching the camera. Your issues are not connected to mine, as I have NO problems with the footage from the camera. Most any CMOS based camera will have moire under the right conditions. I still beleive if you were to shoot the fence again with your other camera at the same distance, you would like have the same issue, but until you do that and post it we'll never know.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
There seem to be plenty here in UK. I ordered one on Amazon and it was delivered the next day, trouble is I'm not happy with the moire patterning on fine detail so it's going back tomorrow. Nice camera shame about the image.
Just today went into John Lewis department store, plenty in stock.
Many agree that the GH2 is less prone to moire patterning than most cameras. The Canon's are notorious for it. Moire is the resultant artifacts from in-camera resizing to the video output size. The GH2 has a unique selectable mode that maps a 1920 x 1080 area on the sensor which eliminates the need to resize. In that mode there is no moire at all. If you want to see what a good 'dose' of moire looks like, shoot that same shot with a Canon. Then shoot it in the EX TELE mode on your GH2 and you will see no moire at all.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Jeff. Don't worry I'll not be holding you responsible for my returning the camera, and I hope you don't think my 'art' comment and having plenty of time to correct in post was in any way a slight at your work, I was talking in general terms, really nothing personal, I do appreciate you having taken the time to post back to me.
Most of the clips shot with stills cameras that I see on the internet are of the cut to music types that have fairly obviously had plenty of time spent on them. I tend to have a much faster through-put. For example I shot this morning and it will be with my client before the office closed this afternoon. What I meant is that I don't have the time to try and correct aliasing in post, nor colour grade or all of the things that make the DEVIL and DSLR work look so great.
Just to be clear I like the camera and pretty well everything about it but it's just that one thing I can't live with. The vimeo clip has toned it down quite a lot, the footage I would have to give on DVD just wouldn't cut it for me. If I were to shoot everything with no sideways panning I'm sure it would be alright, it's just as soon as the camera moves I see it.

By the way I shot alongside my video camera in a warehouse today. The video footage is fine but the Lumix shimmies across the storage racking and any vertical blinds.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #25
Trustee

George, Please read my post. If you shoot in the EX TELE mode, the GH2 is the only DSLR/DEVIL camera that will have no moire. Try it.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #26
Major Player

Hi Jim, thanks for your response. I think the important words in your post is' less prone'. It may be that it is less noticeable than any other stills camera, but what I got on my footage is not acceptable for me when I need to cut it into footage from a true video camera that doesn't exhibit such patterning. I do understand that moire is a result of the aliasing or poor anti-aliasing. When I reduced the detail level the fine lines became mushy.
Anyway I don't want to get into a knocking game, there's been enough of that over on the wedding forum. I acknowledge that it's a good camera, but just not for me. It's a pity your not in UK, you could have had this one if your still searching. They don't seem to be in short supply here.

Jim, I've just realised that it's not you that's looking for one.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #27
Trustee

George, I guess you only read my first sentence. If you shoot in the EX TELE mode on your GH2, you will not get any moire. That's because in that mode, the video isn't being resized. When video is resized in the camera, you will always get moire. It's just a matter of degree. For example, I have always been careful to caution people that are being interviewed on camera to not wear clothing with intricate or detailed patterns such as herringbone, small checks or stripes because of potential moire. That's with regular video cameras - yes, yours too.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi Jim I did miss that bit . If it shoots 1920x1080 in the EX TELE mode what's the point or advantage of using the whole sensor in the default mode and then re-sizing the image? Do Panasonic deliberately set the cameras up to be difficult to get the best from them.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #29
Trustee

When in the EX TELE mode, there is a greater crop factor which has the effect of making the camera shoot in more of a telephoto mode. This can often be compensated with a tele lens set wider and/or moving the camera farther away from the subject. As with most settings on a camera, there are pluses and minuses. EX TELE is a plus if you want a 'free' telephoto extender; it's a minus if you need to shoot as wide as possible. But it's nice that Panasonic added EX TELE as an optional shooting mode. With other cameras, that option isn't available. It's the only DSLR/DEVIL cameras on the market now with a moire 'off switch'.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #30
New Boot

" It's the only DSLR/DEVIL cameras on the market now with a moire 'off switch'. "

What did u mean? ex. tele. conv?

p.s. about main topic, dont u find gh2 at amazon? ok, i am from europe, and i got mine gh2 from amazon.co.uk at 2or 3 day. I live at other side of europe than uk. I was surprised to see this topic ;]
Gediminas Sulcas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series