Canon T3i vs Panasonic GH2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Canon T3i vs Panasonic GH2

Just to clarify my previous post:

The video implementation is the same across *all* Canon EOS D-SLR's.

There are enough differences in other feature sets between the APS-C
sensor cameras such as the 7D, 60D, Rebel, etc. that will impact the
quality of the video -- differences not related to the way that video
recording works -- such as the availability of certain ISO values in
the 60D not found in the Rebel, etc.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Patrick, have you considered looking at the new Nikon D7000? It to does 1080p now.
... But only in 24P. I have a friend who is a long time Nikon user who was sick at this news. Hopefully when Nikon releases the D8000 (or whatever it may be called) they will get it right. Aside from just being a Nikon fan, my friend has a stable of Nikon lenses. That makes it not so simple to change camera brands. Sure there are adapters but in most cases you wind up with dumb lenses when you use adapters.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Jim the lens thing is my nagging issue. I just don't know which way to turn, the adapter thing is bothersome as I just learned they may cause a a loss of one stop when using. Can you verify that?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Just to clarify my previous post:

.......such as the availability of certain ISO values in
the 60D not found in the Rebel, etc.
This is one of the coolest things about the Magic Lantern version for the T2i. It provides a full range of ISO values, including the "good" values with less noise.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM   #20
Trustee

Jeff, I don't know. Maybe an experienced photographer might know. It would seen to me that it would depend on the particular camera and lens.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, I've read just now that the DMW-MA1 adapter does not cause loss of light, encouraging news.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM   #22
Regular Crew

As a Nikon user, I would say that if someone really wants to do some video he can buy a gh2 body and some adapters for Nikon lens. You will lose some functionality like auto-focus but it is not as if you are losing a lot compared of the quality of the Nikon auto-focus in video. For now nothing come close to the GH2 in terms of DSLR video. The uncompressed HDMI output has been more of less solved and it will be hacked to make it even better. Then Someday... I am a bit ironic here as a Nikon User, Nikon comes out with a really good HDSLR, you can sell the gh2 body.
Jean Daniel Villiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
... But only in 24P. I have a friend who is a long time Nikon user who was sick at this news. Hopefully when Nikon releases the D8000 (or whatever it may be called) they will get it right. Aside from just being a Nikon fan, my friend has a stable of Nikon lenses. That makes it not so simple to change camera brands. Sure there are adapters but in most cases you wind up with dumb lenses when you use adapters.
Yes but the GH2 only does 24p if you want the 24Mbps, which is what I am using in the AVCHD Movie Mode. I own the Nikon D7000 as well and there are pluses and minuses on both. Unlike the 7D or 5Dmark2 you can record up to 20 minutes. You can shoot in 30p in the 720p mode. But the GH2 is more user friendly for video.

Last edited by Jim Forrest; March 3rd, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM   #24
Major Player

Currently diving into the DSLRoid world with one of these, haven't decided fully yet...

Samples I've seen of the T3i's telecrop mode are hugely attractive since I film a lot of macro for scientific use.

However, nothing I've seen in the spec sheets says that the T3i allows manual auto level monitoring, and often it's far easier to toss on a Videomic or wireless rec than to kludge everything up with a Zoom or its ilk. Since I also shoot a lot of on-the-spot interviews, this tilts it all the other way.

Coin toss time?
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:14 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Audio level control on the T3i -- yes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
Anyone have any opinions or experience with the two? Check out this link, it seems in almost no time the Canon has surpassed the Panny, but on forums people are saying the 720p60 isn't good and the moire is still prevalent. What say ye?

Compare the Canon Rebel T3i vs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Patrick,

I own the EOS 7D and now, the GH2. I shoot mostly landscape. We don't know yet if the T3i will suffer from the unpredictable aliasing and morie (mud) of the 7D, but it is why I will be selling my 7D in favor of the GH2.

Here is a Grand Canyon project shot with the 7D. Notice the soft fuzzy look of the inner canyon, old buildings and some trees. The canyon is not soft and the buildings and trees are not out of focus, this is the inability of the 7D to resolve large amounts of detail:

Here is a Grand Canyon project shot with the GH2. It is sharp and how the canyon, buildings and trees actually look:

If your video needs allow avoiding subjects that produce aliasing and morie in the Canons, I think you'll be happy. If you want consistently sharp video, you will not.

Good luck with your selection.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Dan makes and interesting observation. It is a bit of a struggle in nature shooting with the Canon camera, but you can't tell from his Vimeo upload what is really going on. I noticed until that the GH2 you were uploading .asx and .wmv files. I also note a general overall mudiness in the process, and wonder if you were having trouble in the edit chain somewhere.

As I indicated, I do think the general lower resolution issues and shallower depth of field in the Canons require you to take a different tact in nature shooting -- maybe a bit more artsy ??

Here are some attempts I have made with the T2i and 5D:

YouTube - A Wetlands Portrait

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #28
Major Player

Dan, what lens were you using on the GH2?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Dan makes and interesting observation. It is a bit of a struggle in nature shooting with the Canon camera, but you can't tell from his Vimeo upload what is really going on. I noticed until that the GH2 you were uploading .asx and .wmv files. I also note a general overall mudiness in the process, and wonder if you were having trouble in the edit chain somewhere.

As I indicated, I do think the general lower resolution issues and shallower depth of field in the Canons require you to take a different tact in nature shooting -- maybe a bit more artsy ??

Here are some attempts I have made with the T2i and 5D:

YouTube - A Wetlands Portrait

The Sandhill on Vimeo
Chris,

The bad news is: the 7D original clips of Grand Canyon are absolutely horrible. The good news is: the editing process, rendering 1080 to 720/30p, and especially Vimeo upload improved things.

I usually render WMV which to my eye are equal in quality to MP4.

I've shot the Grand Canyon with Sonys, Panasonic HMC40, TM700, and the GH2 with great success. Though the EOS 7D is a fine machine, it is not the tool for my needs.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Dan, what lens were you using on the GH2?
Jim,

For this project I used the Lumix 14-140 and 20mm f1.7. No filters.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series