Wow is all I can say. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 15th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Wow is all I can say.

Jim, I do not understand how the auto focus works, and I wanted an auto mode that changed only when I changed it, but don't know how!

Can you please explain, that would be fantastic!

Is it AFC or AFS? and then is there a menu setting for it as well? Can auto face detection be turned on in the menu while you use your feature?

I'm getting ready to leave for the day, but I'll return this afternoon anxiously awaiting your repy!

Thanks, Jeff
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Jeff
On the top left of the camera is a dial that says MF, AFC, and AFS. Just rotate the dial to AFS (auto focus single).
I am not sure about face recognition, I haven't used it but I hear it can be quite effective for a quick focus.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Jim, I thought I tried that and it kept changing..."auto tracking" came on the screen and it would keep changing. I'll take a look at it!
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #19
Trustee

I think I was having a dumb attach today. I took my GH2 to a colleagues office to let him see it along with my new Marshall 7" monitor. I was not able to successfully demonstrate tracking focus. The LCD display showed a box that seemed to track when someone walked toward the camera but the focus didn't follow. One thing that occurred to me after I left is maybe it actually needs to be recording for this to work. Is that the case? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The auto focus in general confuses the hell out of me! I think that yes you must be recording.
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thanks Jim, I thought I tried that and it kept changing..."auto tracking" came on the screen and it would keep changing. I'll take a look at it!
You also have to go into the menu settings and set "Continuous AF" to off.
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Aha! Thanks Jim, that's huge!
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I have wanted the ability to set focus with the shutter button and for it to stay, didn't realize what to do to make it happen. If I spent more time with the camera it would help!
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
You also have to go into the menu settings and set "Continuous AF" to off.
well I'm stumped - can't find that option anywhere - is it in a particular sub-menu?
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Paul it is in there, just keep looking. I don't have my camera handy so I can't help, but stay strong brother. The menu may get you down, but don't let it keep you down, you'll find it. It just a but tough to navigate through. I personally can never seem to remember where things are in that freakin' menu. Probably just my age.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:27 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
I think I was having a dumb attach today. I took my GH2 to a colleagues office to let him see it along with my new Marshall 7" monitor. I was not able to successfully demonstrate tracking focus. The LCD display showed a box that seemed to track when someone walked toward the camera but the focus didn't follow. One thing that occurred to me after I left is maybe it actually needs to be recording for this to work. Is that the case? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
There's been discussion about this, allegedly this tracking focus function was disabled on the GH2, the G2 (allegedly) still has a working mode.

On auto focus in general, I've never been able to use it successfully in video. Not on a TRV900 (unless the subject was dead center), EX3, and GH1, GH2. The GH2 has a killer EVF, why risk it with AF?

I just wish there was a way to engage focus assist when recording.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
well I'm stumped - can't find that option anywhere - is it in a particular sub-menu?
Paul there are different menus depending on what mode you have the camera in. Go to the Manual mode and in the Motion picture menu, go to page 2 and you will see 'continuous AF' and set it to off.
For instance if you go to the 'Intelligent Auto' you have the least amount of menus, but to the 'Manual' mode you seem to have the most amount of menus and choices.
I guess certain 'modes' are not able to achieve all settings.
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #28
Trustee

well - it's weird

I've followed your instructions and still can't find it - I tried on a native PAL camera and a hacked NTSC camera but no go. I get the 2 pages but all that's on the 2nd are digital zoom & wind cut.

I've even gone through the different modes hoping to stumble across it.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #29
Major Player

Strange that you wouldn't see it. I put it in Manual, go to Motion Picture Menu (the one that looks like a video camera, second one down on the left) go to the second page and I see a 'continious AF' and I turn it to 'off'.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series