14-140mm with GH2 is great at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

14-140mm with GH2 is great

Let me tell you folks. The 14-140 may not be great, or even good, in low light. But after two weeks of shooting with a GH1 with prime lenses, the zoom is a luxury I didn't realize I missed. I've also learned a lot more about the cameras using primes. The 14 end is nice and wide, and I love it.

I have a whole new respect for this lens, and it will likely be my outdoor lens. Now that I know how to use auto focus, it's a dream.

I put the Sony monitor on it, and it's like driving a Rolls Royce. This is a sweet little rig.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 14-140mm with GH2 is great

What's your technique in auto focus? AF works great in stills, but no matter what I set it at in video, it always, eventually, starts hunting on its own. What are your settings?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Trustee

It would be very helpful if someone could give a setup description of every step involved in setting up the camera for video auto focus particularly focus tracking and the use of the touch screen to change the point of focus. The manual is not at all clear on this (or anything else). Unfortunately this great camera is marred by a very poorly written and disorganized manual.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Brian, after I posted, I took the camera out and sure enough it seemd to start hunting a bit, very exasperating. I'll be playing with it more tomorrow, my playtime for the day is over.

Jim F said to start in AFS, then turn off facial recognition and auto tracking, I think, and I don't know If I had auto tracking off or not, I thought I did. I wish I had more time to play with it today.

Jim no one could have said it better, the manual is a joke.

Jim, you were absolutely correct, at high ISO, the camera seems ok, but I have a lot more testing to do. I'll take it to church tomorrow and do some real tests if I have time.
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Major Player

I can tell you what I did. On the top left of the camera is a dial and moved it to AFS ...auto focus single.
Then in the menu settings turn off 'contiuous auto focus'.
This will allow to to change focus only when you hold the shutter halfway down. It will keep that focus until you hold down the shutter halfway down again.
I found this will work even if you are rolling
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I was shooting auto focus/facial recognition outdoors yesterday with the Panasonic 20mm pancake. The camera behaved in interesting ways. The auto-focus behaved itself when the background was a park or the side of a brick building with the wall receding from the camera. The camera locked on to the subject's face and stayed in focus. However when the background was a repeating set of horizontal metal slats on an air vent, the facial recognition couldn't see the face. Don't know what make of it.
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
What's your technique in auto focus? AF works great in stills, but no matter what I set it at in video, it always, eventually, starts hunting on its own. What are your settings?
I've had good luck by changing Custom Menu Settings "AF/AE Lock" to "AF/AE" and "AF/AE Lock Hold" to "On".

Now pressing the "AF/AE Lock" button on the camera will focus and lock both AF and AE until pressed again.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
I can tell you what I did. On the top left of the camera is a dial and moved it to AFS ...auto focus single.
This will allow to to change focus only when you hold the shutter halfway down. It will keep that focus until you hold down the shutter halfway down again.
Thank you. This is a great tip! Will try tonight. I record musicians and often it has to be single long take. No cutting at all, and it just looks horrible watching the focus hunt and I'm not allow to cut away. I just imagine the client thinking "What am I paying this guy for?"
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dan, that is very useful information, I will try that, thank you.
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carter View Post
I've had good luck by changing Custom Menu Settings "AF/AE Lock" to "AF/AE" and "AF/AE Lock Hold" to "On".

Now pressing the "AF/AE Lock" button on the camera will focus and lock both AF and AE until pressed again.
And if you turn the lens barrel in AF/AE the focus/zoom assist kicks in, I'm not sure what good that does since it blows your AF that the camera has hopefully just nailed. And as usual, the focus assist won't work once you are recording. However, and I don't know if this can damage the camera, once you're recording in a locked focus, you can turn the dial on top left to MF and focus manually. Perhaps the best way is lock down the focus with AF/AE and BEFORE hitting Rec, switch over to manual and then if the subject moves you can track manually. I used a similar method on the 7d.

Btw, the AF/AE lock is by the shutter/aperture wheel.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:22 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I found the Focus Assist 5X magnification of the image that kicks in as soon as you move the focus ring in manual mode incredibly irritating & confusing. Luckily it is possible to delve into the Custom menus & switch it off although despite a reference in the manual that implies that you can assign this to one of the function buttons I have not figured out how to do it. It would be nice to e.g. have Fn1 toggle between normal view & magnified view.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I found the Focus Assist 5X magnification of the image that kicks in as soon as you move the focus ring in manual mode incredibly irritating & confusing. Luckily it is possible to delve into the Custom menus & switch it off although despite a reference in the manual that implies that you can assign this to one of the function buttons I have not figured out how to do it. It would be nice to e.g. have Fn1 toggle between normal view & magnified view.
Nigel,

This might be what you're looking for. In Manual Focus mode, press and hold the "Q Menu" button, then press "Set".
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carter View Post
Nigel,

This might be what you're looking for. In Manual Focus mode, press and hold the "Q Menu" button, then press "Set".
Thanks a lot for that hint. I just figured out how to assign Fn3 to Focus Assist from the Custom menu but this is better as it is already set up & I can therefore use Fn3 for something else.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #14
Major Player

This camera is full of "Easter Eggs". Every day another pleasant surprise.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Trustee

I'd like to give the guy who wrote the manual an "Easter Egg"!
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series