Lens Adapter List at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Trustee

Lens Adapter List

Has anyone compiled a list of lens adapters for the GH2? It would need to be a list that is regularly updated as more adapters are made available.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lens Adapter List

No, but here's a brand that appears to be good...but like everything else, who knows till someone buys it. It is the one I wish I had tried, but I've already bought three, two fotodiox and a kippon.

Canon FD FL lens to GF2 GH2 E-P2 G2 E-P1 GF1 GH1 G1 G10 | eBay
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

This is what I am using for my Nikon lenses. However your lens must have a manual iris in order to control the f-stop. Also it will be manual focus only.
But the image is very sharp.

Nikon G AF-S Lens to Micro M 4/3 43 M4/3 M43 Adapter | eBay

From DPreview of the GH2

Today the GH2 can be used via adapters with almost all SLR and cine lenses on the market (most of them limited of course to manual focus). There are many good prime lenses to choose from - anything from M42 to Nikon F mount. Pro filmmakers (mainly, in our experience, those that work with the Panasonic AF100) often use Olympus 4/3 zooms, like the excellent Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 ED SWD and Olympus 35-100mm f/2.0 ED. These lenses have an excellent reputation but they are bulky, and costly. Here's a list of the lenses that we use most with both the AF100 and GH2:

•Panasonic 14-140mm f/4-5.8 (with OIS, 28-280mm equivalent): A great outdoors zoom. The optics are decent but the maximum aperture at any given focal length is relatively small, which makes this lens a good choice for video in daylight.
•Panasonic 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 (with OIS, 200-600mm equivalent): This lens packs an amazing range and high quality optics into a small package, which makes it a good choice for wildlife.
•Olympus 4/3 (via adapter) 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 (no OIS, 28-108mm equivalent): This is the lens we use for indoor videos because it is reasonable fast and has good optics. The Olympus 4/3 12-60mm is faster and a little sharper but it is bigger, heavier and more expensive
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
No, but here's a brand that appears to be good...but like everything else, who knows till someone buys it. It is the one I wish I had tried, but I've already bought three, two fotodiox and a kippon.

Canon FD FL lens to GF2 GH2 E-P2 G2 E-P1 GF1 GH1 G1 G10 | eBay
So there's that for $142 with shipping, but in another thread someone said this one worked great: Canon FD lens to Olympus E-P1 E-P2 micro 4/3 Adapter on eBay (end time 13-Apr-11 18:45:45 BST)

Is it worth paying the huge price premium??
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It might be a good one Patrick, but it looks exactly like my fotodiox, which is why I didn't buy it.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Major Player

So Jeff do you think I should skimp and get the cheaper adapter? I know the saying is "buy cheap, buy twice", but if the cheaper one does the job I'd like to save a few bucks. At least there's a forum member backing it up. hmm...
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

At that price, what does it matter, you're not out that much money. I know with my fotodiox, there is a lot of play, more than when I first bought it. At first I thought it was fine, but it really is junk. Part of the reason might be that I've put it on different lenses three or four times, and I know now that it needs to be put on a lens and left on it, it's too cheap to take on and off.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 26th, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Major Player

That's not good, I was planning on buying just one to use with more than one lens. I ordered a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4. I'm looking to get the 100mm, as well (the 85 and 135 didn't seem to get as good of reviews as the 100). I'm sticking with the "newer" FD lenses because the aperture can be stopped down to f/22, as opposed to f/16, they're lighter, use a bayonet mount, all have uniform 52mm filter threads, and all include the s.s.c. coating.
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

the Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 is a legendary lens...you should look again. It is favored by many photographers. On the GH2 it is 170mm, unfortunately, but it is amazing none the less. The 100 is fine also, but I don't know if it comes 1.2

Those that don't like it either don't need/want the focal length, or don't know how to use it. It is a very tough lens to use properly.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Major Player

I just found a page where people were raving about the 85mm, so I stand corrected. I have a question about adapters... I found this one: Canon FD FL Lens To Micro M 4/3 G10 GF1 G2 EPL1 Adapter | eBay

First off, what exactly does the "Lock /Open Aperture control" do? I want to be able to freely adjust the aperture ring, so would I just keep it on "open" the whole time? Next, the mount says it's for FD FL lenses. I thought FD replaced FL. What's going on there? Will it adapt to the 1980's "new" FD lenses with bayonet mount I'm looking at?
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Major Player

btw, Jeff, I had been looking at reviews of the FDn 85mm f/1.8. I take it you have the L series one? What'd you pay for that?
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Here's another adapter out of Poland. He included a video demonstrating the adapter with two different lenses and showing how secure the fit is: Canon FD FL to G2,GH1,GH2 E-P1 E-P2 micro 4/3 adapter | eBay
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Patrick, that adapter is the one I've been waiting for, he was out of them till today, thanks for the link. I'm going to order one right now.

As far as FD FL, google it, read the Wikipedia article about the FD series, I'm sure they explain it, I forget what FL designates.

I have the 85mm f/1.2L. The 85mm f/1.8 is a top notch lens also, probably easier to work with than the f/1.2, but I'm not sure since I'm new to this myself. I do know I've had the F/1.8 when I had a Canon camera, really nice lens. Not sure what I paid for the 1.2, I think $400, it was a steal.
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Jim, do you know if the smaller aperture of the 14-140 means a ND is not necessary for the lens? I suspect it would still be needed on a bright day. I'm hoping the weather warms back up soon so I can take that lens out and try it out in sunny conditions. It has huge potential for outdoor use.

These fixed lenses we're talking about are very nice, but pretty impractical for a novice like me during run and gun, such as following a bridal party around outdoors.
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Come down to Florida, Jeff, it's roasting outside. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that cheaper adapter from the guy in NJ. From what I read on a forum it should take the new FD lenses no problem. I read that the 85mm and 135mm lenses are quite bulky and heavy. I don't want to stress the connection element when on a tripod/shoulder rig, not to mention avoiding more weight on my shoulder rig. The 100mm seems to have great optics and weight, so I think that will definitely be next lens. KEH has one for $109 in "Bargain" condition. Anyone know what that really means?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series