Gh2 focus assist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Gh2 focus assist

When I push the f3 button on my GH1 and then push the menu button, I get the magnified screen for focusing when using my Canon lens.

This doesn't work on the GH2 the same way. Is there a setting I am missing on the gh2?
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Gh2 focus assist

Its the scroll wheel on the top right of the back of the camera, you push it in to get the digital zoom for focus... and you can scroll it to zoom in and out
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sorry, I meant in manual movie mode. Right now when I push the wheel I can adjust the aperture and shutter speed...unless I"m missing something.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Major Player

I just tried it with my Nikkor 35mm/2.0 and it works just as David suggests: pop the scroll wheel down and that zooms you in; rotate it to the right to zoom in further.
I'm on full Manual (M) Mode and/or the Movie Mode with a fully manual lens, so there is no way to adjust the aperture from the scroll wheel.
Without it being pressed in, rolling it will adjust my shutter speed. The press that scroll wheel and it activates the digital zoom (focus assist) feature.

Since you're using a Canon lens, you should be the same, I'd guess: no aperture control, so no toggle when scroll wheel is pressed, instead taking you to the digital zoom feature.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Same here, I push the scroll wheel for digital zoom.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

When I push it it toggles between shutter speed and aperture, and I'm using a Panasonic lens in this case.

I'll get the camera out later and try it again, thanks guys.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I cannot use focus assist via the scroll wheel for whatever reason. I assigned it via the custom menu to a button, which works. In manual movie mode in A priority or S priority, etc., I can adjust shutter speed and exposure, etc, which is perfect.

I also assigned the extender function to a button, which is absolutely fantastic. That is going to be my favorite feature, I only wish it could be turned off and on while recording.

The real bummer is when I focus in manual it doesn't automactically go into focus assist as it does on the GH1. It used to, and I reset the settings, but still no joy.

The telex feature turns my 18-50mm into an effective 72-200mm which I am super excited about. I have a wedding tomorrow and will have fun with that feature.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The default in manual with a Panasonic lens is for the magnified Focus Assist to kick in as soon as you move the focus ring. I switched it off in one of the custom menus as I found it very confusing when using a zoom lens.

When you are using a manual lens e.g. non-Panasonic that does not 'talk' to the camera body then the little wheel does engage Focus Assist. If you are using a Panasonic lens in manual mode then the wheel is used to adjust shutter speed & aperture.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Trustee

I learn more every day about the various focus modes on the GH2. Unfortunately much is based on experimenting because the manual is very deficient in this area. There are a number of capabilities on the GH2 that aren't intuitive. No doubt there are capabilities with the camera that I have missed. It would be great if someone could do a detailed step by step description of the various focus options on the GH2.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
When I push the f3 button on my GH1 and then push the menu button, I get the magnified screen for focusing when using my Canon lens.

This doesn't work on the GH2 the same way. Is there a setting I am missing on the gh2?
Jeff,

Press and hold [Q-Menu] button, then press [Set] should do it.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan, I'll try it. I used the assigned button yesterday (Saturday) and that worked fine.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
I learn more every day about the various focus modes on the GH2. Unfortunately much is based on experimenting because the manual is very deficient in this area. There are a number of capabilities on the GH2 that aren't intuitive. No doubt there are capabilities with the camera that I have missed. It would be great if someone could do a detailed step by step description of the various focus options on the GH2.
Every time that I read the GH2 manual I seem to find some new gem. I too am still a bit confused regarding the various focus modes with the Panasonic lenses in movie mood.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series