Differences between GH2 vs GH2K vs GH2H v GH2S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 19th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Differences between GH2 vs GH2K vs GH2H v GH2S

I've seen various model names:

Panasonic DMC-GH2
Panasonic DMC-GH2K
Panasonic DMC-GH2H
Panasonic DMC-GH2S

Are there even more? What are the differences? Thanks!
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Differences between GH2 vs GH2K vs GHv2H GH2S

GH2K is black body
GH2S is silver body

GH2 is just shorthand I guess and I don't thinks GH2H is anything ... google yields nothing for it.
John Griswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Differences between GH2 vs GH2K vs GH2H v GH2S

Zhong, I've followed your inquiries here, you're obsessing over this too much. If you want to go with DSLR video, and you want the best, GH2 is the one and only way to go. It's better overall than GH13, 7d, 5d, all. It even gives a better image than the AF100 which is 5x the price. You might find it losing in the odd category here and there, for example, the 5d has better wide angle options and the GH13 does better 720p, but overall, the GH2 nearly runs the table on all of them. So go ahead and pull the trigger on the GH2 and join the brotherhood. It's time.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's one with GH2H...what does the H stand for? I've seen boxes that simply state DMC-GH2, and boxes (like this pic) stating DMC-GH2H.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2H GH2 GH2K 14-140mm Mega O.I.S. | eBay
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Major Player

My guess is it's a typo. Are we being punk'd?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

It's not a typo. The "H" indicates that the kit includes the 14-140mm lens.

All of those designators simply indicate what color the camera body is, and what type of lens is included (if it's not a body-only kit).

For example, from the official U.S. Panasonic consumer site:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

DMC-GH2KS -- kit with 14-42mm lens and silver body
DMC-GH2KK -- kit with 14-42mm lens and black body

DMC-GH2HK -- kit with 14-140mm lens and black body

DMC-GH2S -- silver body, no lens included
DMC-GH2K -- black body, no lens included

There are also country designators such as EB, PP, EG, etc. to indicate in
which market they're intended to be sold. However there is no difference at
all in the actual camera body itself between any of these different designators,
so I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Just be aware of what color the body is,
if you care about that, and whether or not it's including a lens and then what
that lens is in particular. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the clear up, Chris. Brian, not at all obsessing - just need to be thorough. The more I research the GH2, the more problems I find...

I went with the Canon 60D for now because GH2 was not in stock (though seems to be coming back in stock at a few places now), but am still hesitant on the GH2. Obviously, I'm not happy with the 60D either (no 1:1 zoom, external monitoring issues, moire/aliasing, less real resolution, 12 min recording limit), but then the GH2 has so many issues as well (screen is not WYSIWYG, no 720p for external monitoring, small un-ergonomic form factor, not so robust build quality, confusing menus and too many options that are not intuitive, and finally the fact that it uses M4/3 instead of EF mount).

If Canon fixed the 12 min recording limit and got rid of moire/aliasing, I'd be sold...but for now, it's a world of compromises in both camps unfortunately. But that's the point of thorough research - knowing what you get and don't get before you buy.

Despite all of the GH2's downfalls, I still could have accepted them and went with GH2 over 60D, but the not-WYSIWYG issue is unacceptable for me.

Thanks everyone!
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
-WYSIWYG issue is unacceptable for me.
I owned the 7d, dunno if that's different from the 60d, but it also wasn't wysiwyg.
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Really? I've shot on the 7D a few times and never noticed that it wasn't WYSIWYG. Perhaps a better question is what do you mean when you say the 7D isn't WYSIWYG, and what do you mean when you say that about the GH2? For the GH2, I read about a noticeable color shift and one other thing changing that I don't remember right now...
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Someone told me the other day the 60D and 7D aren't WYSIWYG
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Personally I have found that when I make a decision to buy a product (any product, not just a camera), I pick a few aspects of the product that make it particularly suitable or desirable and make my choice based on that short list of functions and features. I then rationalize that the aspects of the product that aren't optimal, or are even a fault, aren't a problem. A good example of this is the 12-minute recording limit on Canon DSLR cameras. That's a product limitation that isn't a 'good' thing but for many people other aspects of the camera are positive enough to outweigh the 12-minute limitation. The Canon user then goes through a grand ritual of announcing that the limitation doesn't matter. I translate that to mean that they have found ways to live with the limitation and work around it. I don't thing anyone would put the 12-minute limit on the positive features list. You just find a way to live with it. That selection process is true on most products.

It's the same with the GH2. If it's desirable functions and features suit your needs, you can devise a way to live with or work around it's limitations or even its problems. I have gone through the same thinking process on every camera I own, or computer, or car or, or, or . . . . . . . .
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
Someone told me the other day the 60D and 7D aren't WYSIWYG
The 5D Mk II LCD pretty faithfully shows what is being recorded as long as you have the brightness etc set correctly. I am sure that the other canon DSLRs are the same. They certainly don't have the GH2 weirdness of the LCD image changing when you hit the record button.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Really? I've shot on the 7D a few times and never noticed that it wasn't WYSIWYG. Perhaps a better question is what do you mean when you say the 7D isn't WYSIWYG, and what do you mean when you say that about the GH2? For the GH2, I read about a noticeable color shift and one other thing changing that I don't remember right now...
Most people, myself included, feel the exposure is about a stop off on the 7d, give or take.
There is a slight image shift on the gh2 from standby to REC, not sure which is more accurate as compared to the finished file that you open in the NLE.
Focusing is another big hassle on a 7d, be sure to check in to that. GH2 way easier to focus.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Hmm, guess I haven't noticed the exposure shift on the 7D or the 60D...but my eyes aren't super sensitive to this.

Brian, I found focusing on the 7D to be slightly difficult, which is why I use an 8" monitor with it, but what makes focusing easier for the GH2?
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:43 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:

Brian, I found focusing on the 7D to be slightly difficult, which is why I use an 8" monitor with it, but what makes focusing easier for the GH2?
The GH2 is much easier to focus for several reasons actually:
1) great EVF, ultra sharp, it effectively ends the debate. The VF on the 7d disables in video mode as I recall
2) excellent focus assist in manual focus mode, it zooms you way in if you move the focus ring. It can be disabled and if you like it, it even functions while in REC mode.
3) LCD not spectacular, more or less like the 7d's, but, it articulates, that makes focusing easier in awkward angles.
4) excellent semi auto focus while recording, focus will not hunt.
5) passable full auto focus. I don't use it but it's there.
6) facial recognition tracking focus. I don't get near it, it there though.
7) in manual focus, you can enable a rangefinder that will move as you turn the focus ring, you can use it to pull focus. Wish they'd put more hashmarks, but you can use the various screen icons as reference marks.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series