How many of you have hacked your GH2? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: How many of you have hacked your GH2?

Kevin - thanks for the honest and clear explanation of the pros and cons of the best hacks - and the overview of "hacked workflow". I am personally still very nervous about running out of batteries in the middle of a firmware load - or putting in SD card "A" when I meant to put in SD card "B" :)

...so I just went ahead and bought a GH3. I am not ordinarily tech-adverse, but I have a mental block when it comes to treating my camera like a computer (maybe that's because I have a stack of dead computers in my office - and yes, officer, I killed them - I killed them all ;))

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #32
Major Player

I suppose I've been blessed/cursed with more tech skill than income ;)

To address your two concerns (should anyone else have them):
- Always use Panasonic batteries during upgrades (it won't even start the process if the battery is depleted). Generic batteries lie worse than gov't spokespeople, and you should trust them just as much.
- I put a sticker (from my stack of old MiniDV labels, cut to fit) on each of the hack SD cards, because my memory is terrible.

It'll do for now until I can justify a GH3... but like I said, I'm cheap... my ancestors were Scottish and German Jewish, for goodness' sake.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #33
Trustee

Bill - now that you've got the GH3 it would be a perfect time to hack the GH2. Seriously, there's nothing to be scared about.

The hardest part of hacking it is digging around on the personal-view website trying to find the right files. The second hardest thing is convincing yourself to drop the cash to get one of those fast Sandisk cards.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Major Player

FWIW, I tried Transcend's UHS-I 85/Mbps SDHC cards... they worked as well as the SanDisk cards and only cost about $1/GB

With FlowMotion, standard Transcend Class 10's have worked fine (and are even cheaper)
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #35
Major Player

A hack 'may' look better when all variables are the same.
Same lighting, same lens, same location, same settings. So, whats the point unless you're looking at these same pics side by side on the same screen, edited in the same way, graded the same way and exported the same way.
A bitrate hack has so little percievable difference from a unhacked set-up after edit, as to be negligible.
For example if I use a kit 14-42mm with a vanilla HBR hack of 44 mb/s, will my footage look better than a standard set-up with good glass from Nikon, Leica, Olympus - No!!
If you are actually doing a test (eg.shooting at 12,800ISO), yes it may be great. In reality would I shoot at 12,800 - No, never.
If I'm shooting complex scenes such as moving water or lots of fast motion and action, for me, 100-150 mbs is not what I need and the last thing I want to do is go from hack to hack.
I know people that buy a camera and hack it - they don't learn to use it manually or investigate lens quality, or the best post-production workflows - they just hack it.
I have one cam hacked with a portrait lens and one unhacked with a wide and they cut together fine. No-one can tell.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
...so I just went ahead and bought a GH3.
Where did you get a GH3? I didn't think they were available yet!
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series