Wedding setup - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Wedding setup

Thomas, if you look in the GH2 forum, at the TM900 Vs the G10, Frederico just bought both cameras and got them yesterday. He pretty much sums it up by saying the Canon is in a different league. I shoot with it and it works VERY well with the GH2.
Old October 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #32
Inner Circle

For wedding the extender mode is of limited use. You need plenty of light, and it won't turn off and on while recording. The Olympus 14-54 F/2.8-3.5 used is the best fast zoom for the money for the GH2, unless you can find the Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 for Olympus, which I have. It's F/2.8 straight through, and very useful, particularly for reception work.
Old October 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thomas, if you look in the GH2 forum, at the TM900 Vs the G10, Frederico just bought both cameras and got them yesterday. He pretty much sums it up by saying the Canon is in a different league. I shoot with it and it works VERY well with the GH2.
Except for the fact that the Canon only has an equivalent reach of 150mm compared to M43 lenses. Not a great length but every else is excellent. Finding a good balance between long reach, low light and low cost is a bit of a challenge and we seem to always have to sacrifice one of them.

Last edited by Thomas Smet; October 14th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Thomas, I think it's a tad confusing to cut in half a video camera lens specs since it's numbers are accurate, but I know what you mean. I think it's more accurate/efficient to say the Canon has an equivalent range of 30.4 to 300mm and it takes a 150mm still camera lens to produce same reach, but again what you say is true.

On the other hand, the autofocus operation on a videocamera that smoothly adjusts as you zoom is worth every penny to me. No still camera yet can do that, which is what makes a true video camera such a valuable tool. The new slow, powered zooms that are out or are that are coming out are a bit of a joke for professional use, at least for low-light purposes. So much simpler to just have a video camera for that purpose. When I do use a DSLR type zoom, it's not that big of a hassle to zoom manually, it's just not quite as smooth.

Just as an aside, it is funny how so many DSLR users discount the value of the powered zoom, saying that in Hollywood they don't zoom, but what is forgotten is most event shooters are shooting live, non--repeatable events, not feature films. I can't imagine a football game shot with a series of prime lenses, wouldn't work so well. The zoom feature of the video camera is an extremely powerful tool, it must simply be used judiciously and discreetly.
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #35
Trustee

I should mention I did finally get my Vivitar 75mm - 210mm f3.5 Canon FD lens to work today. The tiny pin on the inside of the mount sticks and I had to pop it with a tiny screw driver first. The lens is beautiful and very long but a bear to use without stabilization. Basically there is no way at all to use it without a tripod. This thing will be fun to use in certain situations but without a doubt get a video camera for wedding work. I plan on using mine more for photos when I feel I need a bit more reach on my tripod.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #36
Inner Circle

If you're like me you'll have fun playing with it and then it will end up in the junk pile. For weddings I can't imagine F/3.5 being much use. F/2.8 seems to be the slowest useable aperture in many churches, and even F/2.8 is too slow at times for best images.
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I think you both have convinced me to go with a video camera, since it's much more versatile.
I would like the Canon G10, but $1200 is definitely out of my price range.
The Canon M41 is supposed to have the same low light performance, but it doesn't have manual controls, and the lens isn't as good.

I'm still leaning toward the TM700 or TM900 at this point, due to the extra reach and much lower price.
If there are any other models I should consider, I'm open to suggestions. :)
Thomas E. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #38
Inner Circle

My suggestion would be to wait and get the G10. At that price you are getting a professional grade lens and sensor, which is actually a good deal. It is the best deal on the market, if low light is important to you.

Whenever I know what I need to buy, but instead buy the next cheaper thing to save money, I'm sorry every single time I do it. And I've done it many times. After reading Frederico's direct comparison between the two cameras, I would find it hard to purchase the Panasonic knowing what we know about it, but that's just me.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 20th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #39
Major Player

Thomas.
If you can, try to test both the cameras yourself, as you know, its the only way to make the correct purchase.
The posts on any forum regarding cameras are very subjective. In this thread alone I have read that the Canon is in a different league to the Panasonic, absolute rubbish, I have both cameras, only had the XA-10 for a week, had the TM900 for several months.
I will try to be objective.
The Panasonic, at 1080/50p and PROPERLY set up, is stunning. Nothing at this price point comes close.
The Canon has a slightly better dynamic range, and colours hold up very well in low light.
The Panasonic menu system is much easier to navigate, all prime adjustments are easily accessable
The Canon menu system has an awful lot but most is buried deep
The OIS on the Panasonic is a country mile better than the Canon (almost like having a steadycam)
Build quality of the Panasonic is much better than the Canon.
They are both superb cameras, neither would disappoint. It really is a matter of testing for yourself. The HF M41 looks quite interesting I had a play with one yesterday, only able to grab some footage in daylight. Its hard to see any difference between the XA-10 and the HF-41, and its a third of the price. Would like to see how it performs in less favourable conditions.
Hope this helps.
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Colin, at what amount do you get grain with one cam vs the other? I run the Canon at 18db max and get no grain that I can discern. I ran it at 21db or so and saw very little. What point does grain begin to occur with the Panasonic? Federico claims at 9db, I think he said. It is true these tests are subjective, but he bought both at the same time, and compared directly before making his posts, so your input would be most welcome as well.

To have two owners of both cameras giving your feedback would be excellent.
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #41
Inner Circle

I see Colin you have gone into this before earlier in this thread, so never mind, unless you want to chime in again.
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #42
Major Player

No problem Jeff.
I have never taken the TM900 above 12db, and its good. It is about my limit for any cam, anything above that and the lights come out. The set up of the TM900, as with any camera is critical. The detail is knocked down by -3 , colour -2 and exposure -3 for bright conditions (when in floating iris mode) These settings make a heck of a difference from the out of the box defaults.
I got the XA-10 last week, having used one on four or five occasions. I have a job on a commercial pheasant shoot in Wales in two weeks time, and needed something small that would take 2 wireless receivers. I considered a Juicedlink box for the TM900, but I am not a great fan of harnessing my audio via a non fixed jack plug, particularly whilst hiking miles through woodland and valleys. And as mentioned earlier, having used the Canon on a few occasions, and liking it, decided to buy one. The job will almost pay for it, and its a nice little cam to have in the kit bag. (Boys and toys!!!!!!!)
I hope to post some wedding service footage on Vimeo, with the TM900 and EX1 intercutting, it is very impressive, and the cameras match very nicely.
Looking forward to putting the XA-10 through its paces on a paying job, knowing Wales, as I do, it will probably rain for 3 days out of 4
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Good luck on your shoot. Many of us would like to see the TM900 and XA10 in low light (wedding?) intercut, that too would be interesting. I love having XLRs again, it's priceless.

And trust me, you can easily run the Canon at 18DB, try it if you haven't. For that matter try 20, it's freaking amazing. For wedding work even with sufficient lighting it is absolutely necessary for me when shooting alongside the GH2 with fast primes on them.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. I have ruled out the TM700/TM900 as I forgot it doesn't have a WA lens. I definitely want the option of using it for the wide shot and the GH2 for the manned shot.
If I decide go the video camera route, I'll probably have to save up for the G10.

I've picked up some more gear since the last time I posted my setup, including another H2, an H1, and a cheap lav mic (which sounds surprisingly good for the price). I'm also seriously considering picking up an HD1000 Glidecam. I would rather have something like the Glidecam than a monopod, since I don't want to have to rely on the wide shot.

I'd be appreciative of any more feedback.

Already own:

Panasonic GH2
Panasonic 14mm f2.5
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
2 x 16GB Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards
2 x Zoom H2 audio recorder
1 x Zoom H1 audio recorder
Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lav mic
Rode VideoMic
Ravelli AVTP tripod (for manned camera)
Ravelli AVT tripod (for stationary camera)
Final Cut Express
LG Blu-ray burner
GH2 AC power adapter

Planning on buying:
Second video camera
Olympus 45mm f1.8
Toast 10 for burning Blu-rays
Thomas E. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM   #45
New Boot

mate get more cards. A 16Gb card is good for 1 hour in the full hd movie mode on a GH1!!
Paul Ardesch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series